• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

Ok guys seriously? :eyeroll:

The moderator #6 or who ever came on to my sales threads and said I and everyone else is not allowed to use/say "Paypal Personal" anymore as a form of payment.

#1. They should have made an announcement of this on the boards directly and not just the editing of the rules list. :screwy:

#2. Paypal personal is a form of payment in which I am letting it be know in my sales guidelines in each of my sales threads so there is no confusion. I think I do a better than average job letting people know all my rules/terms prior to any collector taking any of my books (shrug)

3. If they are going to be this anal then I employ them to check most of the sales threads as almost everyone I click on the seller doesn't even mention what form of payments they accept. doh!

What has happened to this place in the last 6 months.

SOT

The guideline must be designed to protect buyers from unscrupulous sellers who change their board name, move across country and still refer to themselves as their previous board name, post fake wedding announcements, and the worst of all, are a Phillies fan.

:signfunny:

First time I laughed on the boards in months.

Thanks Andrew I needed that. lol

John, I've used personal paypal for transactions, I don't ask for it in my threads, but I do have friends on the board that I trade with.

However, Paypal is a BUSINESS that allows those of us who have transactions but aren't in business, to take credit cards.

Why should a business be blamed for wanting to make a profit? Especially when no part of the transaction you are engaged in, has anything to do with them?

Arch did post something weeks ago, btw. You were in Vegas;);)

On a side note, I transfered a fairly large sum to a friend the other day who was going to an auction. He transferred it back when he didn't spend it. Paypal is holding it for 5 business days, when I called they said that these transactions take longer. Just a cautionary note.

The thing is I am more inclined obviously to discount more here than I would eslewhere.

If it gets to point where people expect discounted shipping and 10-20% books before they :takeit: the book and then I have to get hit the 3% on top of that from a regular pay pal transaction then I might as well just negate here all together or

Maybe just accept check or MO orders only then.

I am a trustworthy seller as our many of fellow board members, so I don't see why only accepting pay pal personal is such an issue. Especially if you know that clearly by me before you bid.

Most of my sales are return customers.

You are missing my point. Paypal is a business, they are providing a service. The 3% is their fee, or the 1%, whatever percent.

If you are selling something and you are worried about 3%, raise your price. If that prevents you from making a sale, well...it still has nothing to do with another business.

Would you expect someone to give you food for free in a restaurant because making a better impression on your date will get you closer to the bedroom:baiting:?

The fact that Paypal has a loophole allowing SOME kinds of personal transactions, doesn't mean it's our right to take advantage, same as I am SURE you would not walk out of a restaurant without paying your check.

What you are able to sell here by discounting, has nothing to do with taking Paypal. It's your job to figure out your profit margin, and I'm sure you would not take advantage of Paypal's kindness, if it was not a BIG corporation, just some poor widow called Sally or Fred;) .

The moderator #6 or who ever came on to my sales threads and said I and everyone else is not allowed to use/say "Paypal Personal" anymore as a form of payment.

#1. They should have made an announcement of this on the boards directly and not just the editing of the rules list. :screwy:

#2. Paypal personal is a form of payment in which I am letting it be know in my sales guidelines in each of my sales threads so there is no confusion. I think I do a better than average job letting people know all my rules/terms prior to any collector taking any of my books (shrug)

3. If they are going to be this anal then I employ them to check most of the sales threads as almost everyone I click on the seller doesn't even mention what form of payments they accept. doh!

SOT

The guideline must be designed to protect buyers from unscrupulous sellers who change their board name, move across country and still refer to themselves as their previous board name, post fake wedding announcements, and the worst of all, are a Phillies fan.

John, I've used personal paypal for transactions, I don't ask for it in my threads, but I do have friends on the board that I trade with.

However, Paypal is a BUSINESS that allows those of us who have transactions but aren't in business, to take credit cards.

Why should a business be blamed for wanting to make a profit? Especially when no part of the transaction you are engaged in, has anything to do with them?

On a side note, I transfered a fairly large sum to a friend the other day who was going to an auction. He transferred it back when he didn't spend it. Paypal is holding it for 5 business days, when I called they said that these transactions take longer. Just a cautionary note.

The thing is I am more inclined obviously to discount more here than I would eslewhere.

If it gets to point where people expect discounted shipping and 10-20% books before they :takeit: the book and then I have to get hit the 3% on top of that from a regular pay pal transaction then I might as well just negate here all together or

I am a trustworthy seller as our many of fellow board members, so I don't see why only accepting pay pal personal is such an issue. Especially if you know that clearly by me before you bid.

John - it's not like you're being singled out here, this rule applies to everyone.

And considering that CGC could possibly be sued by allowing people to knowingly violate the Paypal Terms of Service on their website, it's a total no-brainer that they're cracking down on this.

Thats fine, but I highly doubt PP is going to come after a CGC forum site, but I understand they are covering their business.

However, if they are so converned why aren't they actually moderators the other rules as well? Most sellers don't even put the form of payment they actually accept.

SOT

You are missing my point. Paypal is a business, they are providing a service. The 3% is their fee, or the 1%, whatever percent.

If you are selling something and you are worried about 3%, raise your price. If that prevents you from making a sale, well...it still has nothing to do with another business.

Would you expect someone to give you food for free in a restaurant because making a better impression on your date will get you closer to the bedroom:baiting:?

The fact that Paypal has a loophole allowing SOME kinds of personal transactions, doesn't mean it's our right to take advantage, same as I am SURE you would not walk out of a restaurant without paying your check.

What you are able to sell here by discounting, has nothing to do with taking Paypal. It's your job to figure out your profit margin, and I'm sure you would not take advantage of Paypal's kindness, if it was not a BIG corporation, just some poor widow called Sally or Fred;) .

You must not know me very well then. :whistle:

It's an option, so they made their bed.

It depends on how you are looking at this.

If you require a certain level of GPA for your books (mid-tier price, highest price, whatever), then price it that way plus the 3% to cover the PayPal transaction. If the books don't sell, then that is telling you something.

If folks are not willing to pay the price you require to do a sale, then maybe it is time to find another sales venue. But trying to cut corners that could jeopardize others on here being allowed to use PayPal could backfire in a big way if CGC is sent a "cease and desist" letter from PayPal for supporting unauthorized payment practices.

I'd rather it not go that route.

It depends on how you are looking at this.

If you require a certain level of GPA for your books (mid-tier price, highest price, whatever), then price it that way plus the 3% to cover the PayPal transaction. If the books don't sell, then that is telling you something.

If folks are not willing to pay the price you require to do a sale, then maybe it is time to find another sales venue. But trying to cut corners that could jeopardize others on here being allowed to use PayPal could backfire in a big way if CGC is sent a "cease and desist" letter from PayPal for supporting unauthorized payment practices.

I'd rather it not go that route.

I get that. (thumbs u

I think most people would agree my prices are generally very reasonable, hence why after I discount books for my friends and give them a deal on free shipping or half off shipping I really would not like to get hit 3% on top.

Of course sellers like to sell here to save on fees, that all i am doing, but these boards are a small market and I don't see the potential in selling here I would just go elsewhere.

Again or I think just accepting Money order or checks may be the way to go.

Kickin old school.

Edited by Cobra Commander

Either way I will not put the option in my sales threads going forward, as I am sure in a private PM the same end result will be reached.

SOT is out to the bar.

Night guys!

Edited by Cobra Commander

Look at the bigger picture, if you want to sell books and make a profit, then be prepared for the costs of doing business. 3% Paypal fees, 10-15% ebay fees, and 10% consignment fees are reasonable in trying to run a small business.

Look at the bigger picture, if you want to sell books and make a profit, then be prepared for the costs of doing business. 3% Paypal fees, 10-15% ebay fees, and 10% consignment fees are reasonable in trying to run a small business.

^^

^^

It's dealing with the Graemlin Union that gets expensive here. Graemlin load-ins, overtime, etc.

Seems to be only one good answer to this. Yes. ^^

:makepoint::makepoint:

SOT refers to himself as a "kid", so I was trying to cut him some slack, YOU are old enough to know better, lol;)

^^

It's dealing with the Graemlin Union that gets expensive here. Graemlin load-ins, overtime, etc.

The Brothers and Sisters of Local 404 (Graemlins, Smileys, and Posting Icons) thanks you for the recognition.

sSW_darthvader.gif

sSp_party2.gif

sSic_gimpy.gif

sFun_thewave.gif

sSig_youtheman.gif

sSa_falltopieces.gif

seehearspeaknoevil.gif

sFi_machinegunsdual-1.gif

sFun_abduct2.gif

guillotine.gif

hanging.gif

sSa_jail.gif

Either way I will not put the option in my sales threads going forward, as I am sure in a private PM the same end result will be reached.

It's sellers like this that we could do without on here, and I truly hope you back up your rants by a) leaving for "greener pastures" or b) using Check/MO only, as this "I'll hammer them in PM after they buy" is quite the customer service.

What happens if someone refuses to bend over and use Personal Payments? You gonna whine and scream, then cancel the transaction?

It's sellers like this that we could do without on here, and I truly hope you back up your rants by a) leaving for "greener pastures" or b) using Check/MO only, as this "I'll hammer them in PM after they buy" is quite the customer service.

What happens if someone refuses to bend over and use Personal Payments? You gonna whine and scream, then cancel the transaction?

And away we go.....

Once again:

From the Paypal TOS Agreement:

4.1 Receiving Personal Payments.

If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

A Purchase Payment is a payment received for any of the following:

* A sale of goods or services (a “Commercial Transaction”);

* A payment you received after using the “Request Money” tab on the PayPal website;

* A payment you received for a donation; or

* A payment that is sent to, or received by, a business or other commercial or non-profit entity.

A Personal Payment is:

* Amounts sent to a friend or family member without a purchase. Personal Payments include, but are not limited to, sending a gift to a friend, or paying a friend back for your share of a lunch bill;

13.5 PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy

1. What is the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy?

It is PayPal’s process to help you resolve a problem directly with the seller through the PayPal Resolution Center for purchases that are not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy is similar to PayPal Buyer Protection in that it enables buyers to file Disputes for Items Not Received (INR), or for items that are Significantly Not as Described (SNAD). By filing a Dispute, you can communicate with the seller and attempt to resolve the problem. If you are unable to resolve the problem, you may escalate an Item Not Received (INR) Dispute to a Claim – but you may not escalate a Significantly Not as Described Dispute to a Claim.

You may not file a dispute for a Personal Payment.

Just remember, CGC is firmly 100% on my side this time. :acclaim:

Bring it on!

I don't understand why any seller would be worried about 3% on a transaction. Far cheaper to sell here than anywhere else. Yes, this is a small marketplace, but sellers can list a book for free and name their price and if priced at market have a fair chance of selling. Heaven compared to ebay.