• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

For the record, Roy is quiet as a mouse in person.

now comix4fun is going to make you recount all the times you have heard him squeek or you must recant your statement!

:grin:

JD, you keep sidestepping the actually points in an effort to stay right.

Your questions only apply by assuming intent. I don't see the vast majority as interfering. I certainly don't see them as taking anything from me.

Can you actually see the silver bells and cockle shells from your window?

Do you find it hard to trust in general?

I find trust is an achievement, to be earned, and not a gift, to be given away.

And it is this philosophical difference that keeps us at odds.

If Chris finds trust an achievement to be earned and you are philosophically at odds with him, then that means you don't think trust needs to be earned.

If trust doesn't need to be earned that means you trust innately. If you trust innately, then the question of why you don't ship your books before a buyer pays is a fair question.

It's logical.

But you keep sidestepping because you know that you don't actually trust everyone. Nobody reasonable person does.

And the reason you won't admit that you don't trust everyone is because that means you'd be on the wrong side of the entire discussion of implicitly trusting everyone's 'oh, that was steal' comments.

You did the same thing a few years ago when we had a discussion in the Watercooler. You deflected, moved the goal posts, insulted me and then have been playing the 'pad your post count' card with me ever since.

Which is why I rarely reply to you.

I don't dislike you, I just think you continue to move the goal posts when you are discussing a topic.

Seems this section is bored while waiting for the next villain.

Proving once again the necessity for villains to keep the cosmic balance.

They already walk amongst us. It's denial of their existence providing the shadows obscuring their sight.

They already walk amongst us. It's denial of their existence providing the shadows obscuring their sight.

Does this mean its time to burn a witch! :banana:

Your questions only apply by assuming intent. I don't see the vast majority as interfering. I certainly don't see them as taking anything from me.

If Chris finds trust an achievement to be earned and you are philosophically at odds with him, then that means you don't think trust needs to be earned.

If trust doesn't need to be earned that means you trust innately. If you trust innately, then the question of why you don't ship your books before a buyer pays is a fair question.

It's logical.

But you keep sidestepping because you know that you don't actually trust everyone. Nobody reasonable person does.

And the reason you won't admit that you don't trust everyone is because that means you'd be on the wrong side of the entire discussion of implicitly trusting everyone's 'oh, that was steal' comments.

You did the same thing a few years ago when we had a discussion in the Watercooler. You deflected, moved the goal posts, insulted me and then have been playing the 'pad your post count' card with me ever since.

I don't dislike you, I just think you continue to move the goal posts when you are discussing a topic.

Take witness folks. This IS Roy's greatest post ever on these boards. His analysis of Junk Donkey's auto-contrarian, logic defying, posting style is spot on. Challenge him with facts? Memes. Debate with reason? Responses of emoticons. Claims of not caring peppered in lengthy examples of him actually caring about something but never wanting to admit he's wrong. It's the MO of someone .... I don't know... insecure? Inherently argumentative? I can't put my finger on it.

Edited by Transplant

you are in reductio ad absudum or whatever it is territory now

I make the same points whether it's in public or on a chat forum. What I find is that it's others that don't.

I'm not sure if you have a beef with me. I certainly don't have one with you.

It's actually funny you say that. I often see a disparity between your board persona and local rumours. If you ever wondered where my comments come from, that is it. (thumbs u

I actually have no idea what you're talking about.

Anybody that knows me in person reasonably well knows that I'm pretty much the same on here as I am out there.

If there is a disparity, they're free to talk to me about it - much like you are - rather than bring up some cryptic post about what colour my shadow is, but that doesn't increase post count or make anything productive. lol

BTW, that's another deflection you just posted. ;)

It is one of the laws of nature. Opposition needs to exist to know and appreciate the good. :headbang:

I make the same points whether it's in public or on a chat forum. What I find is that it's others that don't.

It's actually funny you say that. I often see a disparity between your board persona and local rumours. If you ever wondered where my comments come from, that is it. (thumbs u

A disparity, you say? hm

Yes, which tends to be one of my pet peeves.

I think you and I met once at a Toronto show, right? Sorry, if I don't recall it exactly.

Have we ever had any dealings?

It's logical.

Take witness folks. This IS Roy's greatest post ever on these boards. His analysis of Junk Donkey's auto-contrarian, logic defying, posting style is spot on. Challenge him with facts? Memes. Debate with reason? Responses of emoticons. Claims of not caring peppered in lengthy examples of him actually caring about something but never wanting to admit he's wrong. It's the MO of someone .... I don't know... insecure? Inherently argumentative? I can't put my finger on it.

Did you guys not keep up with the conversation? lol

I actually have no idea what you're talking about.

Anybody that knows me in person reasonably well knows that I'm pretty much the same on here as I am out there.

If there is a disparity, they're free to talk to me about it - much like you are - rather than bring up some cryptic post about what colour my shadow is, but that doesn't increase post count or make anything productive. lol

BTW, that's another deflection you just posted. ;)

Then what is your question?

A disparity, you say? hm

Yes, which tends to be one of my pet peeves.

I think you and I met once at a Toronto show, right? Sorry, if I don't recall it exactly.

Have we ever had any dealings?

Many through 3rd parties. We've "met" half a dozen times or so. The discrepancy is greatest between the boards and the 3rd parties. Not as much in our dealings.

I'm not but I still agree that after seeing things happen in life that the comments serve no real practical purpose. Even if the people making the comments are not trying to undermine the deal the only other purpose they can serve is to make a buyer feel bad about the sale.

All deals are final on the board, which is a little different then cons and stores, where dealers will just reneg on something.

I dont know the specific comment being debated, but I have made comments from time to time like, "wow, or wish I got that". I do think when someone is under-pricing stuff, there can be a purpose of letting them know for future or further listings that they make.

Lately I try to just PM the person directly, and include links showing recent sales. Fair transactions for buyers and sellers should be the ideal that we strive for. Obviously deals are going to happen, and when they do they are final. But, I have seen some "wanna be" dealers (not really, but think they are), try to espouse a philosophy of "get away with whatever you can". Over charge to the best of your ability, and underpay as much as possible to the uninformed. That's not right, and detrimental to the long term health of the hobby (and any market). Proper price discovery on both the buy and sell side, for all participants, is the ideal.

I think both sides of this debate have merit.