• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

Seller's grade for raw books means very little to me, I prefer a scan or picture of the book as per rule 7..at least for anything that's worth more than 20 bucks.

I prefer a pic also but it's nice to have both. Let's say a seller posts a pic of a book that looks 9.2 with a 9.0ish price. On the surface it looks like a good deal but you get the book and there's a hidden Back Cover problem, page missing, tan pages, or rusty staples and the book is really a much lower grade. Is this on you ? At least if he gives a grade you have something to discuss.

Edited by bomber-bob

Seller's grade for raw books means very little to me, I prefer a scan or picture of the book as per rule 7..at least for anything that's worth more than 20 bucks.

I prefer a pic also but it's nice to have both. Let's say a seller posts a pic of a book that looks 9.2 with a 9.0ish price. On the surface it looks like a good deal but you get the book and there's a hidden Back Cover problem, page missing, tan pages, or rusty staples and the book is really a much lower grade. Is this on you ? At least if he gives a grade you have something to discuss.

Bingo

What's to discuss related to grade? I figure a book missing a page is a .5 max, give me maximum grades for your other issues and do "tape" for me.

I feel any of the things you mentioned (plus tape) should be disclosed separate from the grade of the book or clearly shown via scan/pic - failure to do so is misrepresentation not a grading issue.

It's "on you" when you choose to buy from someone who states a return policy that doesn't accommodate a circumstance that you consider likely with that seller.

The punitive recourse to seek resolution is the PL if a "no returns" policy is blocking a return/refund for a misrepresented item.

The financial recourse is to ignore your implied agreement when buying under a "no returns" policy and go rogue doing a not_as_described item return/refund and get compensation through Paypal.

I think this is the dilemma we have with rules here vs. real world playing field - I think people sticking to their word is more important here than what they "can" do because of how e-bay, Paypal etc.. bend over backwards for buyers.

Edited by bababooey

There is some benefit to not posting a grade and it has nothing to do with integrity or a lack of it - some people just love to argue grade for the sake of arguing and not posting one and simply providing a description and pics provides the buyer with enough information to form their own opinion without having to answer for someone else's grading standards.

Obviously, in a perfect world grades would be spot on, buyers would be honest (along with sellers) and everybody should be on the same page - but not everyone feels comfortable assigning a grade to a book.

I don't agree here Roy. If people know you are a reputable grader, they most likely will be a return customer. If you don't feel comfortable assigning a grade, learn how to grade. (shrug)

Some Joe Collectors never learn how to grade. They just want to sell a few books to be able to afford others. Not everyone can learn every trade. (shrug)

Ok. On to the next level I guess. Are pics a rule yet? Now we want to make mandatory returns? This just gets better and better. The sales section should be a balance for buyers and sellers. If you want guarantees then buy graded books.

If you don't feel comfortable assigning a grade, learn how to grade. (shrug)

Rather than a (shrug) I think this needs a :sumo:.

In the funny books hobby, being able to grade helps you graduate from the B to the A team.

There is some benefit to not posting a grade and it has nothing to do with integrity or a lack of it - some people just love to argue grade for the sake of arguing and not posting one and simply providing a description and pics provides the buyer with enough information to form their own opinion without having to answer for someone else's grading standards.

Obviously, in a perfect world grades would be spot on, buyers would be honest (along with sellers) and everybody should be on the same page - but not everyone feels comfortable assigning a grade to a book.

Roy, your comment mentions providing a description. I agree that a robust description with pic can be adequate. However, the sales thread that prompted my queries had no Return Policy, no grade, and no descriptions, only a front cover scan. Is that providing the buyer with enough information ?

Ok. On to the next level I guess. Are pics a rule yet? Now we want to make mandatory returns? This just gets better and better. The sales section should be a balance for buyers and sellers. If you want guarantees then buy graded books.

zzz

Who woke you up ?

Roy, your comment mentions providing a description. I agree that a robust description with pic can be adequate. However, the sales thread that prompted my queries had no Return Policy, no grade, and no descriptions, only a front cover scan. Is that providing the buyer with enough information ?

Absolutely not enough, I agree.

Absolutely not enough, I agree.

Interesting how I mentioned this early in the VCC discussion thread but was referred to as a joker who is always negative about sellers here. I guess expecting a higher standard for sellers trying to move 3 digit books here is asking too much.

If you want guarantees then buy graded books.

At times, that's no guarantee either

Sorry, nothing is perfect.

More rules will make it perfect

lol

I'm sure some actually believe that.