• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2021 at 6:44 PM, CGC Mike said:

The rule was put in place for a reason.  Too many people were using the for sale section for announcements.  The thread was started 3 1/2 hours before listings were scheduled to start.  He said, here's 1 book to keep within the rules.  Here are the rules, which will not be changed.

17.  Pre-sale announcements belong in the Announcements thread. Do not start your own thread in the sales sub-forums for your sale until you are ready to post and sell your books. Posting a single book now and the rest at a stated time is considered an announcement, and is not allowed.

I have no problem with what Mike did. I simply didn't know the rule had changed.

My only thought is that if you don't start the thread at least a little bit before the listings begin, people can't read your instructions and conditions of the sale. If you go right to the books, then you more likely to end up with problems as a result of the failure to read the seller's terms. 

On 12/7/2021 at 5:31 PM, Dale Roberts said:

I have no problem with what Mike did. I simply didn't know the rule had changed.

My only thought is that if you don't start the thread at least a little bit before the listings begin, people can't read your instructions and conditions of the sale. If you go right to the books, then you more likely to end up with problems as a result of the failure to read the seller's terms. 

This is a valid concern. It could especially come into play with big sales threads such as Dale’s, October’s, Foolkiller’s and a few others. They often create a feeding frenzy, I’ll bet several buyers don’t read all of the rules. It usually won’t be a problem for the boards, but if a seller accepts PayPal but only up to $499 or some similar requirement, some sales could end up being a headache for the seller and the buyer.

I don’t remember listing one book early ever being a problem before. Maybe it always was a rule, and I never saw it.

• Administrator
On 12/9/2021 at 8:38 PM, electricprune said:

I don’t remember listing one book early ever being a problem before. Maybe it always was a rule, and I never saw it.

It was added early this year because too many people were using the selling forums for their announcements.  

On 12/15/2021 at 9:09 PM, PKJ said:

Same train wreck happening again. Over graded books priced well above market and having to defend some botched transactions each time. Do some of the new sellers not understand that no sales means the community has spoken without speaking? 

Don't want to get in trouble for posting in that thread but I don't know if I have ever seen a 7.0 with a 1 inch or more spine split and that much wear on the cover.

3.5 is the new F/VF…

On 12/15/2021 at 9:09 PM, PKJ said:

Same train wreck happening again. Over graded books priced well above market and having to defend some botched transactions each time. Do some of the new sellers not understand that no sales means the community has spoken without speaking? 

Don't want to get in trouble for posting in that thread but I don't know if I have ever seen a 7.0 with a 1 inch or more spine split and that much wear on the cover.

Link??

On 12/16/2021 at 4:12 PM, PKJ said:

I’m happy to have any discussion about grades. I’ve seen massively under and over graded books. Submitted been shocked and pleased. I don’t understand people’s constant need in this hobby to bring people down I will consider reasonable offers. Most of the books I’m selling are graded. And the raw ones I’m open to discussing grades. Thank you. 

On 12/16/2021 at 11:23 AM, A.K. - SilverAgeComicsUK said:

I’m happy to have any discussion about grades. I’ve seen massively under and over graded books. Submitted been shocked and pleased. I don’t understand people’s constant need in this hobby to bring people down I will consider reasonable offers. Most of the books I’m selling are graded. And the raw ones I’m open to discussing grades. Thank you. 

Who is trying to bring you down?

Post that book in please grade my book thread if you want to be transparent.

My point was, it won't sell at the listed price and anyone who knows how to grade knows it is overgraded so it is a moot point, we should just let the threads run with only you bumping them 3 times. 

On 12/16/2021 at 4:37 PM, DR.X said:

Don't know the back story on this seller but would like to hear it. I looked at you're first post with your rules. Here's a killer for most educated buyers on here.

"PRICED TO SELL SO NO RETURNS I’m a reputable seller will send as many pics as you want. "

I find it kind of amusing you say you are " reputable " but offer no returns. Any reputable dealer on these boards has a return policy, period. If you think you're reputable, then you have to back it up with a return policy. Hell, some of us offer returns on slabs, the whole nine yards, but carry on.

I dont understand why there should be a return policy if there is nothing to hide obviously if I sent someone a book with a missing MVS but or page to discover this is the case once shipped I will accept a return - i will amend to NO RETURNS - if any flaws are discovered that were not communicated or hidden a full refund will be offered 

Who covers the shipping in these instances, trying to learn and be better thanks - if anyone can help me better grade/price those books advice is appreciated thanks all :)

On 12/16/2021 at 10:49 AM, A.K. - SilverAgeComicsUK said:

I dont understand why there should be a return policy if there is nothing to hide obviously if I sent someone a book with a missing MVS but or page to discover this is the case once shipped I will accept a return - i will amend to NO RETURNS - if any flaws are discovered that were not communicated or hidden a full refund will be offered

Case closed. You don't get it. :facepalm:

On 12/16/2021 at 4:52 PM, DR.X said:

Case closed. You don't get it. :facepalm:

Shipping from the UK to USA is 40-80$ depending on insurance... I am trying to get it I just want to understand who would cover shipping and fees? I barely have a margin on most books... maybe 10% and I would take a loss in the scenario im taking returns on my dime. im trying dude...

On 12/16/2021 at 11:56 AM, A.K. - SilverAgeComicsUK said:

Shipping from the UK to USA is 40-80$ depending on insurance... I am trying to get it I just want to understand who would cover shipping and fees? I barely have a margin on most books... maybe 10% and I would take a loss in the scenario im taking returns on my dime. im trying dude...

Welcome to trying out the business world. Take the time to learn how to grade, how to price, how to manage costs.

If you are only making 10% consigning at those prices you need to re think your clients or expectations, if someone is expecting $900 return on that Avengers 57 you need to educate them on the market. .An Avengers 57 in 5.0 is $500 (which may be what that book grades). A CGC graded Avengers 57 in CGC 6.5 can be bought right this minute for $669 on ebay. Already graded no "I will be willing to discuss my grading" it is graded. 

And since you are editing your posts now, you originally had that Avengers 57 at 6.5 -7.0. 

Edited by PKJ

On 12/16/2021 at 10:23 AM, A.K. - SilverAgeComicsUK said:

I’m happy to have any discussion about grades.

I would suggest you use the grading forum. I use it all the time. Sometimes someone else sees something you don't, and I personally have fun putting books in there. Let's look at that F.F. #48 you posted. This is a key book. You can't list a grade with a swath of 2.0 - 3.0 and expect an educated buyer and grader to think about purchasing it. You're going to have to cut it closer on the grade, and then stand behind it if the buyer is unhappy.

But looking at these scans, I would have trouble going over a 2.0 on it. Fully taped spine. Extensive wear and creases. Don't know if the cover is even attached. No way this is a 3.0 IMO. The only thing that may keep me from going lower than 2.0 is there are really no large chunks of pieces missing.

fantastic four 48.jpeg

fantastic four 48 2.jpeg

Edited by DR.X

On 12/16/2021 at 5:03 PM, PKJ said:

Welcome to trying out the business world. Take the time to learn how to grade, how to price, how to manage costs.

If you are only making 10% consigning at those prices you need to re think your clients or expectations, if someone is expecting $900 return on that Avengers 57 you need to educate them on the market. .An Avengers 57 in 5.0 is $500 (which may be what that book grades). A CGC graded Avengers 57 in CGC 6.5 can be bought right this minute for $669 on ebay. Already graded no "I will be willing to discuss my grading" it is graded. 

And since you are editing your posts now, you originally had that Avengers 57 at 6.5 -7.0. 

Thank you both I honestly appreciate these comments I will talk to the owner of the books that has consigned them and ask them to reconsider grades/prices and relist accordingly thank you all!