• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2022 at 12:41 PM, seanfingh said:

That's your opinion. What it sounds like to me is someone who is willing to "purchase" books at full price knowing full well they are going to try and "negotiate" a big discount on other book(s) thereby making everything a better deal - and then to top it all off, when the "negotiating" doesn't work, you bail on the whole deal.

Completely unsavory - and why I would let you bail.  And then you would see Fingh screaming from the rooftops to let everyone know what my experience was.

See I knew I would open myself up to personal attacks. I think I have a valid concern. Even the seller in question sent me a PM and wants to back out. 

Just on this page alone I have purchased from Bird and JimJum12. Had great experiences both times. Don't worry Sean I won't buy from you.

On 8/26/2022 at 3:24 PM, mytastebud said:

I don't agree with that but if that is the rule, I am happy to comply or purchase elsewhere. The reason I don't agree is it is very common to make a purchase and ask afterwards to add to the purchase at a little better price. You are not technically done with the purchase until the thread is complete or you walk away.2c

I have to respectfully disagree. A claim is a claim, regardless of what transpires after the fact. I'm not looking to pile on but that is the proper etiquette.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:03 PM, Funnybooks said:

I have to respectfully disagree. A claim is a claim, regardless of what transpires after the fact. I'm not looking to pile on but that is the proper etiquette.

and if that's the rule or even the unwritten rule I am happy to comply or buy somewhere else. Its why I posted here to see what the official rule is.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:06 PM, mytastebud said:

and if that's the rule or even the unwritten rule I am happy to comply or buy somewhere else. Its why I posted here to see what the official rule is.

I think that's fair. Let me see if i can find the forum rules and guidelines for selling and buying.

On 8/26/2022 at 12:56 PM, mytastebud said:

Retracting :takeit: after trying to negotiate additional books from the same seller.

On 8/26/2022 at 2:24 PM, mytastebud said:

I don't agree with that but if that is the rule, I am happy to comply or purchase elsewhere. The reason I don't agree is it is very common to make a purchase and ask afterwards to add to the purchase at a little better price. You are not technically done with the purchase until the thread is complete or you walk away.2c

You're describing eBay behavior, which doesn't fly here.  In the future, you'd be better off pm'ing the seller in advance on all books that you're interested in to work out a package deal.  Using the :takeit: and then trying to back out when further negotiations don't go your way is just going to open you up to a host of problems.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:11 PM, seanfingh said:

If I were the Seller, I would let him out of everything. Avoids any future problems with someone already disgruntled.

hey hillbilly :hi:

On 8/28/2022 at 3:50 AM, Ryan. said:

Asking for an out because of a missed flaw or being too eager with a take is different than demanding an out on the first take because the buyer felt that automatically entitled him to heavy discounts on additional purchases. 

As a seller I've always let people out of their takes if it's really an issue for them. I'm not going to force someone to buy something they don't really want. However, depending on context, I may or may not tell every other seller i know to avoid that buyer and add him to their personal do not deal lists.

This is way off what I originally posted. I was happy to take my original :takeit: but after being scolded in a personal message that I was already getting a good deal I wanted to possibly cancel. I checked here first to see it it was within my "rights" and clearly it is not.  

As I seem to recall Ryan you and I had two very successful trades without issue. Or am I wrong about that.(shrug)

On 8/27/2022 at 7:06 PM, jimjum12 said:

This is the right place for that.

In this Forum, :takeit: typically means a done deal, but I have had a time or two where I failed to notice a flaw ( in my haste ) and asked for out. We all make mistakes. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I've also had a very positive buying experience from you Jim, Detective 395. (shrug)