• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2022 at 7:00 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

The last couple of UKPV pre-hero Strange Tales have trickled in, and I now have a full run of all 25 available (ST78 has no pence variant, more's the pity).

Still chipping away at the other titles.

comicst100 (2).jpg

comicst99 (2).jpg

comicst98 (2).jpg

comicst97 (2).jpg

comicst96 (3).jpg

comicst95 (2).jpg

comicst94 (2).jpg

comicst93 (2).jpg

comicst92 (2).jpg

comicst91 (3).jpg

comicst90 (2).jpg

comicst89 (2).jpg

comicst88 (3).jpg

comicst87 (2).jpg

comicst866 (4).jpg

comicst85 (3).jpg

comicst84 (2).jpg

comicst83 (2).jpg

comicst82 (3).jpg

comicst81 (2).jpg

comicst80 (2).jpg

comicst79 (3).jpg

comicst77 (2).jpg

comicst76 (2).jpg

comicst75 (4).jpg

Albert, you should post these over here:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/29590-pre-hero-marvels/?do=findComment&comment=12508891

The guys there will love them. 

On 9/13/2022 at 6:57 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Albert, you should post these over here:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/29590-pre-hero-marvels/?do=findComment&comment=12508891

The guys there will love them. 

Will do as soon as time permits. Still looking for a few in decent shape to complete TOS, TTA and JIM, though.

And costing less than and arm and a half and a leg and three quarters,

On 9/14/2022 at 12:53 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Will do as soon as time permits. Still looking for a few in decent shape to complete TOS, TTA and JIM, though.

And costing less than and arm and a half and a leg and three quarters,

Expensive hobby, isn't it. I remember a fairly healthy stock at 30th Century in the twenty to thirty quid range that I passed on not so long ago. 

Note to self:  for time being, don't sell any big-key UKPVs on date the Fed announces another historic rate hike!   Edit 9/23/22: : To be fair, I heard many sellers fared poorly in that recent ComicLink auction. So perhaps we should avoid selling ANY keys, whether cents/pence, on such dates! Anyway....  The FF1 UKPV took quite a haircut last night on CC.  A shame that we've had this worsening global market (including collectibles) this past year or two after seeing UKPVs make strides relative to regular issue prices in many instances.  A bigger shame that a few big UKPVs came out of the wood work the past few weeks, like early ASMs, just when the global sentiment soured even more.  Last night was more of that. 

Not that I have researched the topic, but my casual observation is that there hasn't been comparable softening in the prices for Canadian or 35-cent price variants, or even the newsstand issues that regularly receive premiums.  Assuming that is so, that could be because their pricing (relative to the regular issues) has already been entrenched in the collecting/investing psyche (for decades in the case of 35-cent and Canadian PVs, or at least  many years in the case of certain newsstands).  UKPVs are still largely the odd man out in that premium-fetching group, so not surprising if they remain particularly sensitive to volatility in the collectibles market.  But this is good news for those seeking UKPVs, as these past sales looked like great buying opportunities.      

Edited by Pantodude

On 9/22/2022 at 8:42 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

You are assuming that the followers of this hobby behave rationally.

We never have before, so why should we start now?

Speaking as a collector of Charlton UKPVs, who could be investing those funds into 'hot' Marvel books, I concur. 

Vive la irrationality!

Lovingly caressed by Thorpe & Porter with an out of distribution sequence 10d price stamp.....

858933395_Two-GunKid60November1962(9d).thumb.jpg.1bc4c15e5aba257c2c4bc545c4a432ea.jpg

......and the OBLITERATOR stamp :cloud9:

On 9/22/2022 at 12:42 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

You are assuming that the followers of this hobby behave rationally.

We never have before, so why should we start now?

In this context, we're actually completely rational.  It's the economists who assume profit and loss are the ONLY meaningful metric that aren't.

Ignoring vital factors like "enjoyment" because they're hard to quantify and fit into equations is the real irrationality.

You might have a point about assumptions about this hobby.  I came from older, more established hobbies before getting into this one.  An example of my flawed assumption of a shared historical perspective?  How about the prevailing focus on the teeny weeny price block.  They say it's not denominated in U.S. money.  A fair point.  But if they had been alive long enough, it would have been!  Our earliest paper money in the USA is Colonial Currency, which was denominated in pence, shillings, etc!  

9 pence like our SA UKPVs?  Yup, we had that 250 years ago!  

image.thumb.jpeg.4c0f5e76f44f014200b31550deee50d8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2816f6333d964516d62f7f8cae0b7775.jpeg

That's partly why I find the pence on UKPVs so endearing.   Anyway, just having some fun with a cool intersection between two of my hobbies.  

On 9/26/2022 at 5:06 AM, DHack4 said:

I think UK variants are a different animal and don't deserve to lag behind. I'm looking forward to learning more and adding them when I can.

Then you've come to the right place, Hack. I don't know anything about them myself, but I believe there are a few members here who are quite enthusiastic. Welcome to the Forum! :)