• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2022 at 9:09 PM, Yorick said:

That seller wants serious moola for the hundreds of plates they pulled from the recycle bin.  I was looking through the inventory to see if there was anything I couldn't live without... nah.

:gossip: everytime I think I've found something interesting for you to look at, you've already posted about it YEARS ago.

I know. I really need to get a life, Yorick. 

On 12/8/2022 at 1:16 AM, paqart said:

These just arrived from the UK. This was one of my favorite sets of comics when I was a kid in the 70's. Not sure my opinion is the same today but I still like this group.

britlock.jpg

Nice. You seem to be a recent convert to the pence copies, Paq. Have you noticed how the love of one type of variation eventually leads to another? You start with a newsstand, move on to a US price variant, then before you know it....

I think there are two types of comic collector. Those that love comics, but are indifferent to variations, and those that love comics but who are enchanted by variations. For some - the majority, I would say - they will love a comic whether it's a newsstand or direct. That aspect doesn't matter to them. Then there are the likes of us.

Anything different has always floated my boat. Newsstands, directs, MJIs - or other insert types - price variants, printing errors, double covers and so on. A second dimension of collecting fantasticness on top of an already fantastic starting point.

Yes, comics are f:censored:ing fantastic, and differences, for me, are the icing on the cake.

On 12/9/2022 at 4:33 AM, paqart said:

Always appreciate your comments, thanks!

You're welcome Paq. I like reading your posts too, as you're clearly a natural collector. Comics can be a personal thing, and I sometimes like to let them tell me their own story. Anyone can read a reference book, or Google someone else's work, but I like the people whose natural curiosity leads them here and there, and who aren't afraid to discuss and develop their understanding and interests as they go along. 

I took delivery of a parcel of old Charlton romance comics yesterday. They managed to answer a long standing UK distribution question for me, just through the composition and history of the issues. The smell, look and feel of them....there's nothing like it. It was the best couple of hours I've spent in a long time, scanning them, cataloguing them and giving them their own customised labels. Before I started, their existence had barely registered in the comic collecting community. Two more issues, and I pass 600 UK price variants. Most wouldn't understand - they're Charlton, after all - but I find them utterly enchanting and the hunt thrilling. 

Keep going my friend!

I did a write up on Charlton Canadian Price Variants for Ben, by the way - it's buried somewhere on that site of his, if you can find it :grin:

On 12/9/2022 at 3:33 PM, paqart said:

For UK Editions, I want the full UK set of Avengers, all the way back to #1 if I can afford it. I'm not even close to that yet but am working on it. I would also like a UK set of Captain Marvel and Warlock.

A very warm welcome to the fold @paqart and the hunt for these very elusive variants of some of our favourite books. As I've mentioned on this thread previously, it's certainly high time these books get the recognition they deserve especially given how difficult it is to find UK price variants in high grade. Fortunately, I've been extremely lucky of late hunting down some of these books (even more so, given I'm live the other side of the world from my birth place) and have been sharing in the Hey buddy, can you spare a grade? part of the these very chat boards.

if you want yet another challenge, you should also look at the Australian price variants too, as they are another as yet undiscovered vein to tap into.

Edited by Every Day A Story
Added link

On 12/9/2022 at 11:14 AM, Every Day A Story said:

if you want yet another challenge, you should also look at the Australian price variants too

Never heard of them :)

On 1/9/2023 at 4:15 AM, WNY said:

@Get Marwood & I been reading your stuff for a while. Was quite happy to get this SA key in pence! 

36D744B9-78CA-4451-96C0-4D9252F5E03F.jpeg

Welcome to the thread, WNY :)

That's a beautiful looking thing, isn't it.

I love the variety of those early, tiny 9ds buried in the massive original 10c price circles:

30.jpg.a971118b781063710922a170642c5ddd.jpg31.jpg.26e421451b00cb987a86c3ae1c5e5825.jpg32.jpg.367d59962c4e05cb35214732e9d49ff5.jpg33.jpg.8347be57a7a838454e98ebda459ae398.jpg34.jpg.0124b483babda6b4230bf973ad08cabf.jpg

Why they couldn't have made them three times the size is anyone's guess. Maybe the typesetter hadn't upgraded his number kit hm

Anyway, that's a cracking addition to your pence collection. Keep it going!

On 1/8/2023 at 11:34 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Welcome to the thread, WNY :)

That's a beautiful looking thing, isn't it.

I love the variety of those early, tiny 9ds buried in the massive original 10c price circles:

30.jpg.a971118b781063710922a170642c5ddd.jpg31.jpg.26e421451b00cb987a86c3ae1c5e5825.jpg32.jpg.367d59962c4e05cb35214732e9d49ff5.jpg33.jpg.8347be57a7a838454e98ebda459ae398.jpg34.jpg.0124b483babda6b4230bf973ad08cabf.jpg

Why they couldn't have made them three times the size is anyone's guess. Maybe the typesetter hadn't upgraded his number kit.

The only reason I can think of (other than laziness) is to make it clear at a glance which is which so they get sent the right place.  But if that was the case I would have expected something similar to continue, and it really didn't.

On 1/9/2023 at 4:55 PM, OtherEric said:

The only reason I can think of (other than laziness) is to make it clear at a glance which is which so they get sent the right place.  But if that was the case I would have expected something similar to continue, and it really didn't.

I doubt they thought too much about it in those early days of pence related run interruptions.

"Got any of those 9d slugs left Dave?"

"Only this weirdy little one"

"That'll do"

:bigsmile:

On 1/9/2023 at 12:15 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I doubt they thought too much about it in those early days of pence related run interruptions.

"Got any of those 9d slugs left Dave?"

"Only this weirdy little one"

"That'll do"

:bigsmile:

How cool would it be if the 9d slugs were the same size & font as the US font.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:28 PM, gadzukes said:

How cool would it be if the 9d slugs were the same size & font as the US font.

Exactly. Massive sodding great nine dees is what we need. Someone get photoshopping!

Spoiler

hm

1073774689_Tw-GunKid62March1963(9d).thumb.jpg.831fdd28ad1426d59320564f66e6560c.jpg Capture.PNG.68ac6d78b89ac62621342f5e93d1ef6a.PNG

On 1/22/2023 at 2:12 AM, Yorick said:

Go big or go home!  :sumo:

Two Gun Kid Fun.jpg

Sorry Yozza, but I'm going to have to reprice that one :)

yozza.PNG.a98f68ebf96d958b23bb838fb5797b73.PNG

Inflation, you see....

Well, these aren't Silver Age, but there doesn't seem to be a separate thread for Bronze pence copies.

image.thumb.png.8d7cb110c8c922129a403fcdd2fb4241.png

Some general corner wear (#2 is particularly bad, as you can see from the UL corner visible here) and a couple of these have folded LR corner tips that I've cunningly concealed by photographing them this way. And, of course, one book had to have a pretty bad stacking curl, and that had to be #6... but I think it's correctable; there's no evident color breaking.

This is, in general, a fairly attractive run of better-than-midgrade books, which are miles better than most of the pence copies I've seen from this title.