• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

Several of the Penman books had names and/or inscriptions from previous owners, or shall we call them custodians, of these cultural milestones.

Some I recognised as having counterparts in my own collection, including a few annotated with the score out of 10 awarded by the reader.

Will try to dig a few out.

On 1/7/2022 at 5:56 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Not a shame at all in my book.

If he had not stashed it away, it would have been degraded over the years, and may not have survived at all. As it is, it is an outstanding example.

That’s very true I do wonder what the rest of his collection looked like considering the family put many of them in the skip unfortunately 

On 1/30/2022 at 8:28 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I picked up a second copy of Gunsmoke Western #59 today and this one has no Miller cover price stamp:

1984193068_No.9GunsmokeWestern59(July1960).thumb.jpg.a422a1bd8d09f4d65597e962e4bb625c.jpg

So I now have one copy for my 'First 20 UKPV' set, and one stamped copy for the Miller set:

1984193068_No.9GunsmokeWestern59(July1960).thumb.jpg.a422a1bd8d09f4d65597e962e4bb625c.jpg 419266769_GunsmokeWestern599dLM-CJul60.thumb.jpg.d179e67582209916b114a48472ed65ec.jpg

Two times the fun :)

But the stamped one at 6d is potentially a seaside special, right?  Or are you thinking the unstamped one is T&P? We're  pre-UK -indica changes here, right?

So both could be true. 

On 1/31/2022 at 1:53 AM, Malacoda said:

But the stamped one at 6d is potentially a seaside special, right?  Or are you thinking the unstamped one is T&P? We're  pre-UK -indica changes here, right?

So both could be true. 

And it came to pass that Malacoda did make five schoolboy errors in one short post and there was a great gnashing of teeth. And the Marwood did say unto Malacoda "Let he who hath lost understanding go forth to the Miller thread"

:grin:

Hi Stephen, Did you ever do any research on the November 1971 size and price bump of some of the Marvel line? It looks like some of the UKPVs were printed with 8p, but post printing a 6p stick was placed to obscure the 8p price. I have found evidence of some titles, including Amazing Spider-man #102, Avengers #93, Daredevil  #81, Incredible Hulk #145, Sub-Mariner #43 and Thor #193 with both prices. Almost always on the 8p there is damage evidence of a sticker removal. I have done a half dozen searches on the forums, but I am not getting an acceptable return on my query.

On 2/5/2022 at 9:42 PM, Steven Coates said:

Hi Stephen, Did you ever do any research on the November 1971 size and price bump of some of the Marvel line? It looks like some of the UKPVs were printed with 8p, but post printing a 6p stick was placed to obscure the 8p price. I have found evidence of some titles, including Amazing Spider-man #102, Avengers #93, Daredevil  #81, Incredible Hulk #145, Sub-Mariner #43 and Thor #193 with both prices. Almost always on the 8p there is damage evidence of a sticker removal. I have done a half dozen searches on the forums, but I am not getting an acceptable return on my query.

I did, yes. It's buried somewhere in this thread. I posted about it on the rare comics blog too, as I recall. Something about which copy was the mistake. I'll have a look about.

Stephen, thank you for being ≈first, it makes it easier for the rest to follow.

I remember reading about the sticker-ed covers and highly suspected you were the author.

I did some more research and came to an almost identical conclusion. The only difference is the sequence of shipping dates shows the 6p printed covers were after the 8p covers. The 8p covers were on-sale in the first two weeks of August and the 6p printed covers were on-sale in the last two weeks of August.

Marvel's November 1971 (domestic) issues were published in a 52 page, giant size, square bound format with a 25¢ cover price. The price and page count was increased from 15¢ and 36 pages from the previous month. And with the following month the page count returned to 36 pages and the price went to 20¢ and continued until May 1974.

The same November 1971 issues also had UKPV. For The Amazing Spider-Man #102, The Avengers #93, Daredevil #81, The Incredible Hulk #145, Iron Man #43, Sub-Mariner #43 and Thor #193 the printed price was 8p. For some reason the price was not acceptable and a 6p sticker was placed over the 8p. The sticker could have been applied before shipping or once received in the UK, although the near uniformity of application of the sticker indicates the correction was completed at the printer's site prior to shipping.

Examining the shipping dates for possible production sequences, shows the titles affected were earliest, while later November 1971 issues, such as Amazing Adventures #9, Conan the Barbarian #11, Fantastic Four #116 and Where Monsters Dwell #12 were correctly printed with a 6p cover price.

At the time neither Captain America nor Creatures on the Loose had UKPV variants.

Looking at the historical exchange rates does nothing to formulate a hypotheses about the sticker price correction and only serves to highlight the UKPV were sold at a lower price, with the 8p equaling 19¢.

As the compilation of graphics show (below), there are 21 clippings with 8p cover price. Most of which show obvious residue or damage where the sticker was removed. There are 6 examples with the 6p sticker still in place. 1 of which does not completely obscure the printed 8p beneath. There are 2 examples showing the sticker shadow on the inside front cover.

I would be very interest to see any undamaged 8p covers and more importantly the inside front cover of any undamaged 8p priced cover. So if any owner of the above issues can supply such images, it might just cloud the mystery more:)

Steve

Stickers.jpg

On 2/6/2022 at 7:28 PM, Steven Coates said:

Stephen, thank you for being ≈first, it makes it easier for the rest to follow.

I remember reading about the sticker-ed covers and highly suspected you were the author.

I did some more research and came to an almost identical conclusion. The only difference is the sequence of shipping dates shows the 6p printed covers were after the 8p covers. The 8p covers were on-sale in the first two weeks of August and the 6p printed covers were on-sale in the last two weeks of August.

Marvel's November 1971 (domestic) issues were published in a 52 page, giant size, square bound format with a 25¢ cover price. The price and page count was increased from 15¢ and 36 pages from the previous month. And with the following month the page count returned to 36 pages and the price went to 20¢ and continued until May 1974.

The same November 1971 issues also had UKPV. For The Amazing Spider-Man #102, The Avengers #93, Daredevil #81, The Incredible Hulk #145, Iron Man #43, Sub-Mariner #43 and Thor #193 the printed price was 8p. For some reason the price was not acceptable and a 6p sticker was placed over the 8p. The sticker could have been applied before shipping or once received in the UK, although the near uniformity of application of the sticker indicates the correction was completed at the printer's site prior to shipping.

Examining the shipping dates for possible production sequences, shows the titles affected were earliest, while later November 1971 issues, such as Amazing Adventures #9, Conan the Barbarian #11, Fantastic Four #116 and Where Monsters Dwell #12 were correctly printed with a 6p cover price.

At the time neither Captain America nor Creatures on the Loose had UKPV variants.

Looking at the historical exchange rates does nothing to formulate a hypotheses about the sticker price correction and only serves to highlight the UKPV were sold at a lower price, with the 8p equaling 19¢.

As the compilation of graphics show (below), there are 21 clippings with 8p cover price. Most of which show obvious residue or damage where the sticker was removed. There are 6 examples with the 6p sticker still in place. 1 of which does not completely obscure the printed 8p beneath. There are 2 examples showing the sticker shadow on the inside front cover.

I would be very interest to see any undamaged 8p covers and more importantly the inside front cover of any undamaged 8p priced cover. So if any owner of the above issues can supply such images, it might just cloud the mystery more:)

Steve

Stickers.jpg

Nicely done Steven :)