Quickest way to go from reading in 1 section to a diff section?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Quickest way to go from reading in 1 section to a diff section?

Say I'm in Silver comics and want to go to Gold comics.  What's the quickest method ?

now I click the arrow to navigate to the top

click the Jump to...

click to open the scrolling list

scroll to the section (always starting at the top of list...Grrr )

click Gold

click OK

 

thats a lot of clicks

 

so there is a faster way, by clicking the CGCcomics root in the path of the current page, and then selecting the section you want.  But the loading times can make even this two click solution feel slow.  What about the previous boards solution? Didn't it come with this chat package?  We clicked on a pop up list, selected the section we wanted, and by selecting it it stated to load that section.  Bam!

 

Here's a cool idea:  how about we get to store say 5 sections in a one-click jump solution somewhere that's isn't buried 3 clicks from anywhere?

Thanx

Edited by Aman619
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

now I click the arrow to navigate to the top

Yes, here you can bounce right to the top by using the arrow instead of scrolling to the top (or bottom of the old boards) to reach the "forum jump" menu

2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

click the Jump to...

Additional click #1

2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

click to open the scrolling list

The same as before

2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

scroll to the section (always starting at the top of list...Grrr )

The same as before, except there aren't a pile of numismatic forums that you have to scroll through to get to the comic forums

2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

click Gold

The same as before

2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

click OK

Additional click #2

2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

thats a lot of clicks

It is (two) more clicks than the old boards, yet you're still trying to make it sound worse than it is.

3 hours ago, Aman619 said:

is there a faster less clicks method I'm missing?

No, but despite the appearance of convenience, the forum jump was never much faster or easier than just going to the main CGC Forums menu and clicking on the forum you wanted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't been complaining so don't lump my question with The Who moved my cheese crowd.  I counted like 5 clicks, each more frustrating than the last.  In the previous boards we used one click to open the pop up list, and I think the default placement on that list was the section you were in last... then just click the new section and it's already taking you there.

 

that was faster. 5 clicks is so 1990s. A set of saved bookmarks in the program would be great, no?

 

 

i went back and counted.  6 clicks not 5.

Edited by Aman619
Counted clicks for piling on!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Aman619 said:

I haven't been complaining so don't lump my question with The Who moved my cheese crowd.  I counted like 5 clicks, each more frustrating than the last.  In the previous boards we used one click to open the pop up list, and I think the default placement on that list was the section you were in last... then just click the new section and it's already taking you there.

 

that was faster. 5 clicks is so 1990s. A set of saved bookmarks in the program would be great, no?

 

 

i went back and counted.  6 clicks not 5.

 

Hello Aman619, I like your question so had a go myself.

I logged into the old and new boards and went to the 'Hulk #1 Club' thread in the Silver section in each.

Old Boards

Having read the last post:

  1. Select 'Index' from the bottom of the screen
  2. Select 'Forum List' from the top of the page
  3. Select 'CGC Forum'
  4. Select 'Gold Comics'

Four clicks and some unavoidable scrolling

New Boards

Having read the last post:

  1. Select 'Jump To' from the bottom of the screen
  2. From the 'Jump To' pop up menu, click on 'select'
  3. Select 'Gold Comics'
  4. Select 'Go'

Four clicks and some unavoidable scrolling

So it looks like the process is broadly similar. Re the scrolling, just remember this and all will seem better:

Scrollin', scrollin', scrollin'

Keeps those fingers scrollin'

Though your brain is swollen

Sore eyes!

 

One serious thing though, the new boards requirement to select 'Go' seems unnecessary. If I select Gold Comics from the menu I shouldn't have to reconfirm that selection with an additional 'Go' selection. If that was removed, the new boards would need only 3 clicks to the old boards 4. I wonder if that is possible - @Architecht?

One thing I use to help navigate is the right click in my browser history bar to take me back to the main page or sections if I've already been there.

And one last thing - can I have my cheese back please? :wink:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Aman619 said:

I haven't been complaining so don't lump my question with The Who moved my cheese crowd.

I'm not. You are correct about the jump feature requiring more clicks here. It's a valid question/complaint.

7 hours ago, Aman619 said:

i went back and counted.  6 clicks not 5.

It's still 2 clicks on the old boards and 4 clicks here.

But again, using the forum jump was never much faster or easier than just going to the main CGC Forums list and clicking on the forum you wanted. 2 clicks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

 

Hello Aman619, I like your question so had a go myself.

I logged into the old and new boards and went to the 'Hulk #1 Club' thread in the Silver section in each.

Old Boards

Having read the last post:

  1. Select 'Index' from the bottom of the screen
  2. Select 'Forum List' from the top of the page
  3. Select 'CGC Forum'
  4. Select 'Gold Comics'

Four clicks and some unavoidable scrolling

New Boards

Having read the last post:

  1. Select 'Jump To' from the bottom of the screen
  2. From the 'Jump To' pop up menu, click on 'select'
  3. Select 'Gold Comics'
  4. Select 'Go'

Four clicks and some unavoidable scrolling

So it looks like the process is broadly similar. Re the scrolling, just remember this and all will seem better:

Scrollin', scrollin', scrollin'

Keeps those fingers scrollin'

Though your brain is swollen

Sore eyes!

 

One serious thing though, the new boards requirement to select 'Go' seems unnecessary. If I select Gold Comics from the menu I shouldn't have to reconfirm that selection with an additional 'Go' selection. If that was removed, the new boards would need only 3 clicks to the old boards 4. I wonder if that is possible - @Architecht?

One thing I use to help navigate is the right click in my browser history bar to take me back to the main page or sections if I've already been there.

And one last thing - can I have my cheese back please? :wink:

 

  That last part about not having to click Go was an "after implementation fix" last time too.  Was so much easier... Hitting Go Must be the default setting.  Hopefully they will fix it this time too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also I went back and checked too.  There was a popup list at top and bottom, so you had to:

 

scroll ll to the nearest popup.

click to open, 

scroll to section (and it starts where you are now, same section)

click to select new section and it navigates immediately

 

i count two scrolls and two clicks! I could be happy with that again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

  That last part about not having to click Go was an "after implementation fix" last time too.  Was so much easier... Hitting Go Must be the default setting.  Hopefully they will fix it this time too.

I'd raise another CR but I think the Administration Team are sick of me Aman!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

We've been talking about updating that jump-to menu, but it's a plugin and we didn't make it. I'm not sure how much time/effort it would take to change, but if CCG approves it we might do it.

I agree with the general observation that less clicks is better.

By the way @Aman619 it's not quite what you are asking, but the quickest way to review multiple boards is to just build an activity stream with the things you can about, and read them all in one big list. I get that it isn't really the same thing -- just mentioning it as an option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, Architecht said:

We've been talking about updating that jump-to menu, but it's a plugin and we didn't make it. I'm not sure how much time/effort it would take to change, but if CCG approves it we might do it.

I agree with the general observation that less clicks is better.

By the way @Aman619 it's not quite what you are asking, but the quickest way to review multiple boards is to just build an activity stream with the things you can about, and read them all in one big list. I get that it isn't really the same thing -- just mentioning it as an option.

Also, just to make sure you noticed @Aman619 there is a "jump to" selection at the bottom of pages as well, so if you're wanting to move on from the end of a page, you don't necessarily have to go to the top.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanx arch, but I'm not feeling the jump to function. It's more steps .  I've been clicking the path at the bottom of a page, or the top, then choosing the section I want.  Feels the most direct method available. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
22 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

Thanx arch, but I'm not feeling the jump to function. It's more steps .  I've been clicking the path at the bottom of a page, or the top, then choosing the section I want.  Feels the most direct method available. 

I've been doing that and the default activity stream thing. I replaced "unread content" with content I posted in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess I'll give it a try.  Sounds like a great feature to cut thru the clutter... But I'm still stuck to viewing activity within the threads as I've been doing for years...  Btw, I like the new clean look... I hope more no more people are done fighting through the shock of the new and back to enjoying the boards as usual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok I was clicking back to read the thread I just left when I see the aleat that you had responded to me... And here's a suggestion.  How bout removing the announcements we have to scroll down from on every section! On my iPad sideways that's all I can see when I load a section.  Since it seems to be the same two announcements all the time, why not move them to a CGC announcement section? Or only use the space only for new important messages you want us all to see?  The page is top heavy -- CGC banner, then ads, then announcements all push the actual threads "off the front page"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
On 3/25/2017 at 10:09 PM, Aman619 said:

Ok I was clicking back to read the thread I just left when I see the aleat that you had responded to me... And here's a suggestion.  How bout removing the announcements we have to scroll down from on every section! On my iPad sideways that's all I can see when I load a section.  Since it seems to be the same two announcements all the time, why not move them to a CGC announcement section? Or only use the space only for new important messages you want us all to see?  The page is top heavy -- CGC banner, then ads, then announcements all push the actual threads "off the front page"

We have a few ideas for simplifying this. It requires some plugins, some testing, and a little thinking, so it hasn't quite made it through. But announcement won't stay as they are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1