• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BATGIRL starring Leslie Grace (2022?)
5 5

473 posts in this topic

BUMBLEBEE & PITCH PERFECT 3 Star Hailee Steinfeld Says She'd Love To Play BATGIRL

hailee-steinfeld-1-1.jpg

While on the global press tour for her upcoming release Pitch Perfect 3, which is due out in theaters next week, Academy Award-nominated star Hailee Steinfeld sat down with MTV International and when pressed on whether she was interested in any superhero roles, she initially dances around the question. However, when the interviewer tells her that she thinks she would make a great Barbara Gordon, Steinfeld - with a big smile - replies, "Thank you! I'm not gonna lie, that's kind of what I was thinking." She then coyly continues, "But I wasn't... I didn't know if I... what to say. I would love that."

Lindsay Lohan Campaigns for the Role of Batgirl on Twitter

Lindsay-Lohan-Batgirl.jpg?q=50&w=486&h=3

Lindsay Lohan wants to star in Joss Whedon’s Batgirl and has taken to social media to start a campaign. Warner Bros. just recently gave the DC movie universe a major shakeup by naming Walter Hamada as the studio’s new president. Hamada will be the man in charge of making decisions on what projects do or do not make it to the big screen, and he’s got a long list of ones to consider. We know Aquaman, Shazam!, and Wonder Woman 2 are definitely happening. Current indicators point to The Batman, Flashpoint, and Suicide Squad 2 also being priorities for the studio, but that could now change with Hamada on board.

Lindsay Lohan took to Twitter this morning to start campaigning for her to play Barbara in Whedon’s Batgirl. She is asking her faithful followers to retweet the post so it can gain more support, and she tagged Whedon in the post to try and maximize the chance of him seeing it.

She already received some rapid responses to this request for support.

4 minutes ago, drotto said:

Does anyone know if they are going to go with the more hipster style current Batgirl or a more classic Batgirl?  That would affect actress choice greatly.

Page 1 has an article where Whedon noted it would reference the New 52 version of the character. Although production direction can change.

Joss Whedon Exits 'Batgirl' Movie (Exclusive)

joss_whedon_and_batgirl_comic_book_cover

Joss Whedon is saying goodbye to DC Entertainment heroine Batgirl.

Whedon, the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer among other pop culture touchstones, is exiting the Warner Bros. feature project, which he was writing and was slated to direct.

"Batgirl is such an exciting project, and Warners/DC such collaborative and supportive partners, that it took me months to realize I really didn't have a story," Whedon told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement. Referring to DC president Geoff Johns and Warner Bros. Picture Group president Toby Emmerich, Whedon added, "I'm grateful to Geoff and Toby and everyone who was so welcoming when I arrived, and so understanding when I…uh, is there a sexier word for 'failed?'"

Whedon came on to Batgirl almost a year ago, in March 2017, with the hopes of bringing to the big screen a companion to the female empowerment icon Wonder Woman, with this one tied to the most popular character in comics, Batman. Batgirl is Barbara Gordon, the daughter of Gotham City police commissioner James Gordon.

But sources say that Whedon, after a year of trying, could not crack the code of what a Batgirl movie should be. Wonder Woman, meanwhile, became a cultural phenomenon as well as one of the biggest hits and most acclaimed movies of 2017.

Industry sources add that even as Whedon faced story issues, in today's cultural entertainment environment, a male filmmaker may have faced greater public scrutiny if he were to have tackled a movie with such feminist importance such as Batgirl or Wonder Woman, much like a white filmmaker would have seen backlash taking on the Black Panther movie.

51 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I'd rather he bow out than deliver a half-hearted attempt. So good on him for that.

Very true. Seems odd though as Batgirl has a number of legitimately great stories which cover her early years (both with Babs and Steph) that I would've thought bringing that style story to the big screen would be Eezy Breezy.

'Batgirl': Replacing Joss Whedon With Female Writers And Directors Is A No-Brainer

GalleryComics_1920x1080_20160727_BG_Cv1_

To be fair, a lot of the “in development” movies talk is arguably due to a leaky office, whereby a random executive meeting or brainstorming session becomes “Egad, Warner Bros. is plotting a Riddler musical with Terry Crews!” I’d watch the hell out of that, but you get the idea.

But let’s speculate for a moment and presume that Warner Bros. really wants to make a Batgirl movie in the near future. Here’s an embarrassingly easy first step that can at least put the film in a position where folks in the fandom and in the geek media are rooting for it to succeed. You probably can guess where I’m going with this, but yeah, Warner Bros. should hire a female writer and a female director, or maybe even a singular female writer-director, to helm their Barbara Gordon movie.

We’re past the point where a female-led genre film, be it a bawdy comedy or an action thriller, is in itself a big deal. The next stage of evolution is actually hiring women to write and direct these movies on the regular. Sure, female filmmakers shouldn’t just be hired for movies about/featuring women in the lead roles, but until that becomes normalized, situations like Michelle MacLaren directing Chris Pratt’s Cowboy Ninja Viking (nice work, Universal) or Catherine Hardwicke directing something like The Fighter will be all the rarer.

Hiring a woman to helm Batgirl is a win-win. If it works, you’re a genius. If it doesn’t at least you tried.  You start the movie with a narrative that you’re actually paying attention to the success of the one DC Films movie everyone actually liked. Reacting to the success of Wonder Woman by developing a bunch of would-be Joker movies isn’t a great look.

One of Hollywood’s bad habits is ignoring or dismissing outside-the-box successes and continuing to focus on conventional wisdom-driven choices.  It’s how you look at the success of Twilight and end up with I Am Number Four. Patty Jenkins is not the only woman who can capably handle a big-budget superhero movie, as even Sony hired Lindsey Beer and write and Gina Prince-Bythewood to write and direct their Black Cat/Silver Sable spin-off flick Silver and Black.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Sounds like that's the real reason for the change and Whedon didn't want to tackle this project for fear of possible backlash if the movie doesn't meet expectations and/or hit the right notes. 

31 minutes ago, TeddieMercede said:

Sounds like that's the real reason for the change and Whedon didn't want to tackle this project for fear of possible backlash if the movie doesn't meet expectations and/or hit the right notes. 

distancing himself from the career suicide called DCEU

Edited by paperheart

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

distancing himself from the career suicide called DCEU

You mean his wife coming out in November to reveal he supposedly slept with a number of his leading ladies wouldn't be used again once the movie was ready to dog him out again, and point out he was hypocrite? That probably didn't factor into his decision, knowing she would flame up again when ready.

Joss Whedon Is a ‘Hypocrite Preaching Feminist Ideals,’ Ex-Wife Kai Cole Says

I’ve been asked some questions by the press recently about my divorce from Joss Whedon, to whom I was married for 16 years. There is misinformation out there and I feel the best way to clear up the situation is to tell my truth. Let me begin by saying I am a very private person and the act of writing this is antithetical to who I am and everything I stand for. Yet, at the same time, I feel compelled to go on the record and clear up some misperceptions. I don’t think it is fair to me or other women to remain silent any longer.

I met Joss in 1991. I was driving across the country from Massachusetts on a whim, and met him when I was passing through Los Angeles. We fell in love and I moved to L.A. so we could be together.

I was with him when his “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” -script was adapted, and the resulting movie released.

The answer's probably much simpler than that.

He saw the studio landscape and realized it probably couldn't be done right - and yeah, didn't want to be on the hook for that failure.

This is the man who pushed Wonder Woman as his passion project a decade ago.

There's zero chance he "didn't have a story" for Batgirl.

Or...(honestly) that Warner Bros. saw Black Panther surpass Justice League's total domestic gross in four days and thought it'd be better to hedge their bets with a female-driven production. This was day seven -- but surely that timing's just coincidental, right?

This took place last night.

Roxane Gay = Author of 'Marvel's World of Wakanda' and author of The New York Times best-selling essay collection Bad Feminist, the novel 'An Untamed State', the short story collection 'Difficult Women' and the memoir 'Hunger'.

Michele Wells = Vice-President of Content Strategy at DC Entertainment.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Yes. Zero chance it was concern with his ex-wife's details. It had to be Black Panther beat Justice League at the box office. Not a female-based movie to show an empowered woman blowing up on them.

Umm...the allegations by his ex-wife surfaced in November.

It's February.