• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BATGIRL starring Leslie Grace (2022?)
5 5

473 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:
2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...the allegations by his ex-wife surfaced in November.

It's February.

See. You can read a calendar. And so can someone that will raise this back up to teach their ex-husband a lesson again.

Umm...

I have to agree with Bosco on this one. I figured that Whedon would have been dropped back in November/December when the allegations surfaced. There is no way a studio would want a male director with any type of allegations against them directing a high profile female superhero film. If there is any risk of backlash that could limit the ability to recruit a strong female lead, or hurt the box office take, then I can't see a studio going forward with him right now.

Rumor now about Lena Dunham being considered for director.  Please tell me this is a joke.

As for Whedon, all this stuff breaks me heart.  I do not agree with many things he has said, or done, but I have been a massive fan of his work including; Buffy, Angel, Firefly, and his Marvel stuff for years.  I hate that who he is in his private life now may color my views on that stuff.

Edited by drotto

54 minutes ago, kimik said:

I have to agree with Bosco on this one. I figured that Whedon would have been dropped back in November/December when the allegations surfaced. There is no way a studio would want a male director with any type of allegations against them directing a high profile female superhero film. If there is any risk of backlash that could limit the ability to recruit a strong female lead, or hurt the box office take, then I can't see a studio going forward with him right now.

i disagree.

Because we've seen more than a dozen instances of professional take-downs due to sexual misconduct by high-profile men since last summer.

And in each case, the timeline from revelation to firing (or equivalent) was far shorter (i.e., three weeks or less).

See:

Harvey Weinstein

Kevin Spacey

Louis C.K.

Sen. Al Franken

Brett Ratner

Jeffrey Tambor

Garrison Keillor

Matt Lauer

It's been more than three months. Hence, Occam's Razor dictates it may be a contributing factor, but not the primary one.

Something else drove this.

11 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

i disagree.

Because we've seen more than a dozen instances of professional take-downs due to sexual misconduct by high-profile men since last summer.

And in each case, the timeline from revelation to firing (or equivalent) was far shorter (i.e., three weeks or less).

See:

Harvey Weinstein

Kevin Spacey

Louis C.K.

Sen. Al Franken

Brett Ratner

Jeffrey Tambor

Garrison Keillor

Matt Lauer

It's been more than three months. Hence, Occam's Razor dictates it may be a contributing factor, but not the primary one.

There are easily a few other things going on.  He was called out for mesoginistic jokes in JL.  A continued behind the scene cleaning house at DC. Finally, the WW -script has come back to haunt him again, the Batgirl -script was just not fitting with the retooled DCEU.

44 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

She was married to Whedon from 1995 to 2016. Three months later is not going to resolve cheating over a 21 year marriage. And even worse, he wrote her a letter outlining all the events so as to cleanse his soul.

Disagree all you want. Reality is if he came out with a movie meant to empower young women, a wife cheated on that helped him through his many wins is going to want vengeance.

Edited by Bosco685

REVENGE REPORT: “The Truth About Whedon’s Exit From BATGIRL, And The Latest On The DC Slate”

The Hollywood Reporter has revealed that Whedon has exited Batgirl, citing his own personal failings as a writer. Rather than going with “creative differences” or something that implies any issues between himself and the studio, he took it all on the chin and claims to have just failed to come up with a story good enough for the iconic DC heroine.

What seems to have happened there is that the priority was his secretive work on Justice League, with Batgirl being more of a loose idea of something they could get to down the line if the stars aligned. Now that Justice League has been out, and the stars didn’t quite align, that’s the end of that.

That, and I’m told the studio isn’t pleased with the way his involvement with the DCU has turned into more of a negative than a positive in terms of public relations. When they brought him on, he was merely the “beloved creator of Buffy and Firefly, who wrote and directed the two wildly successful Avengers movies.” In the time since, he’s been nothing but a blight on the DCU’s public perception.

• There was the letter his ex-wife published online that revealed the toll his rampant affairs took on her
  • There were the leaked portions of his old Wonder Woman -script that made him seem somewhat sleazy and sexist
  • The truth about what happened with Justice League has come out, and that whole experience is something the studio wants to turn the page on- especially since the film didn’t meet their already low expectations

Another important aspect here is that the studio, under the new stewardship of Walter Hamada, wants to move away from any and all behind-the-scenes drama. So Hamada is taking aggressive steps to cut ties with anything, or anyone, who’s going to cause controversy.

I forgot about the Wonder Wonder -script coming out, and it was more a negative than a positive because of how he portrayed the character.

HANDMAIDEN’S TALE Actress interested in Playing Batgirl

madeline-brewer-icm-partners.jpg

Hot off the heels of director Joss Whedon’s exit from the project yesterday, many have already expressed interest in either directing, writing or starring in the film. One such person was Handmaiden’s Tale actress Madeline Brewer. Responding to a tweet sent out by writer Roxanne Gay, Brewer threw her hat in the ring to play Batgirl.

With news that DC Film President Walter Hamada is currently looking for a female director to take the job, it’ll be interesting to see how the project will continue to develop, since it’s rumored that Warner Bros. is set on making the Batgirl film in the near future.

I really do not believe that Whedon cheating on his wife over the course of 21 years is going to bar him from anything to tell the truth.  At the end of the day, who cares.  If it was two consenting adults engaged in their activities then the only real offended party is his wife at the time. Now, this is not to diminish the pain and suffering that he inflicted upon his wife, however if all he did was cheat on his wife then there was no harassment, forced or coerced sexual interaction upon costars or subordinates.  As far as I have read he cheated on his wife.

Half of Hollywood cheated on their spouses.  If that is going to get someone kicked off a film then there would be no more movies. 

There might be something more there. 

OR 

Since the DCU seems to be a hot mess, maybe WB REALLY does want a shake up. 

Doesn't matter anyway... in ten years time, Disney will own Batman and Superman anyway. 

Edited by Buzzetta

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I really do not believe that Whedon cheating on his wife over the course of 21 years is going to bar him from anything to tell the truth.  At the end of the day, who cares.  If it was two consenting adults engaged in their activities then the only real offended party is his wife at the time. Now, this is not to diminish the pain and suffering that he inflicted upon his wife, however if all he did was cheat on his wife then there was no harassment, forced or coerced sexual interaction upon costars or subordinates.  As far as I have read he cheated on his wife.

Half of Hollywood cheated on their spouses.  If that is going to get someone kicked off a film then there would be no more movies. 

There might be something more there. 

OR 

Since the DCU seems to be a hot mess, maybe WB REALLY does want a shake up. 

Doesn't matter anyway... in ten years time, Disney will own Batman and Superman anyway. 

Yup. That's it.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Yup. That's it.

To tell the truth though, every time I notice an announcement about a DC film, my brain says, "They are still trying to make movies, that's cute." with a little laugh. 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

To tell the truth though, every time I notice an announcement about a DC film, my brain says, "They are still trying to make movies, that's cute." with a little laugh. 

Seriously? Just because you may not care for their movies, that doesn't make them all a bust. Man of Steel, Wonder Woman and Batman V Superman Ultimate Cut have more than a few fans. If you don't care for them, that doesn't make them less successful.

Edited by Bosco685

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Seriously? Just because you may not care for their movies, that doesn't make them all a bust. Man of Steel, Wonder Woman and Batman V Superman Ultimate Cut has more than a few fans. If you don't care for them, that doesn't make them less successful.

I liked Man of Steel and felt that could have been a companion piece to the Nolan Batman flicks... an epilogue or something.

Wonder Woman was good but not great.  I watched it recently and while it was entertaining, I felt that there was a lot of things that they purposely changed as to not have it be compared to Captain America (as far as the plot not the character... however I felt the ending had too much of a Cap 1 1st Avenger feel to it...

Suicide Squad was a hot mess

Batman V Superman Regular Cut, Ultimate Cut... should have been cut... I have seen the regular version three times and the Ultimate Cut once just to see if it could have redeemed the movie.  It is a bad movie.  Affleck was great, Cavill was great, the plot, storytelling and editing amounts to another hot mess. 

Justice League I will eventually see... but I have not been impressed as I have with Marvel or the DC Nolan Batman movies. 

And The DCUniverse has NOT been successful.  Even the studio knows that they have not been successful.  They are not making the money on this incarnation of their characters that they have in the past.  They realized far greater overall success prior to this extended DCUniverse.  I am not just talking about box office revenue I am talking about merchandising and other tie ins.   

Hence... the shake up across the board. 

I liked Man of Steel and felt that could have been a companion piece to the Nolan Batman flicks... an epilogue or something.

Wonder Woman was good but not great.  I watched it recently and while it was entertaining, I felt that there was a lot of things that they purposely changed as to not have it be compared to Captain America (as far as the plot not the character... however I felt the ending had too much of a Cap 1 1st Avenger feel to it...

Suicide Squad was a hot mess

Batman V Superman Regular Cut, Ultimate Cut... should have been cut... I have seen the regular version three times and the Ultimate Cut once just to see if it could have redeemed the movie.  It is a bad movie.  Affleck was great, Cavill was great, the plot, storytelling and editing amounts to another hot mess. 

Justice League I will eventually see... but I have not been impressed as I have with Marvel or the DC Nolan Batman movies. 

And The DCUniverse has NOT been successful.  Even the studio knows that they have not been successful.  They are not making the money on this incarnation of their characters that they have in the past.  They realized far greater overall success prior to this extended DCUniverse.  I am not just talking about box office revenue I am talking about merchandising and other tie ins.   

Hence... the shake up across the board. 

Meanwhile, the silly little statement ' Doesn't matter anyway... in ten years time, Disney will own Batman and Superman anyway' which was your "Watch this - I'm going to stir the pot" moment - right?

Now let's get to reality:

- A woman of 21 years marriage find out her immensely famous feminist-leaning husband was cheating on her for years - by his own admission to clear his conscience.

- WB offers up Batigirl to him so they can keep the strong female audience excitement going that was realized through Wonder Woman.

So you think that same ex-wife is not going to bring up his marital failures again when this female-empowering movie hits theaters? It would explode on WB how it backed someone like this, leading to less female audience backing.

Sorry for the reality check.

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Meanwhile, the silly little statement ' Doesn't matter anyway... in ten years time, Disney will own Batman and Superman anyway' which was your "Watch this - I'm going to stir the pot" moment - right?

Now let's get to reality:

- A woman of 21 years marriage find out her immensely famous feminist-leaning husband was cheating on her for years - by his own admission to clear his conscience.

- WB offers up Batigirl to him so they can keep the strong female audience excitement going that was realized through Wonder Woman.

So you think that same ex-wife is not going to bring up his marital failures again when this female-empowering movie hits theaters? It would explode on WB how it backed someone like this, leading to less female audience backing.

Sorry for the reality check.

Why is it that anyone... and I mean anyone on these boards... that says something that you find disagreeable gets your knickers all in a twist? 

It's almost noon btw...  I do not have time right now for Bosco Drama Day... Meeting someone for lunch in 12 minutes.   I will be back later. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Why is it that anyone... and I mean anyone on these boards... that says something that you find disagreeable gets your knickers all in a twist? 

First off - nice exaggeration. Go back and check how many people posted they disliked DC or Marvel movies I liked that then it was a 100% disagreement. Because by your statement - it's everyone!

Or, revisit your own initial post. Rather than dismissing real-world situations with 'DCU is a hot mess' which is not a 100% accurate or they would have shut down further efforts with current casts and crews, how about a real discussion on the facts? Then no matter if someone enjoys these movies or not, they feel like it is a decent discussion to jump in on versus yet another person banging the 'Marvel Rules' drum. Wouldn't that be a better approach?

50 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

It's almost noon btw...  I do not have time right now for Bosco Drama Day... Meeting someone for lunch in 12 minutes.   I will be back later. 

In other words, "I came into the thread to join in on the 'DC Sux' bandwagon, and got called out on it." Gotcha.

Have fun at lunch. And that's meant in a good way, versus 'choke on it' or anything else you assume.

Edited by Bosco685
A kind wish

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

In other words, "I came into the thread to join in on the 'DC Sux' bandwagon, and got called out on it." Gotcha.

Have fun at lunch. And that's meant in a good way, versus 'choke on it' or anything else you assume.

Do you ever take a step back and realize that some of the rhetoric that you use sometimes comes off as if you are unhinged or an EDP?

• I read the Whedon story last night and stopped by the thread this morning to catch up on Star Wars stuff and saw that people were saying about it.  When I read the comments I chimed in on the issue of adultery.
  • I've always said I liked Man of Steel so no, I have never been on the "DC Sux bandwagon" as you call it.  Read what I wrote above. 
  • The DC Universe is a hot mess.  By the phrase "Hot Mess", I talk about disruptive changes of direction, various obstacles, underperforming movies, lack of cohesion as far as who is playing what in what movie, what movies are part of the shared universe and what is not, conflicting quotes from various executive sources and what not.  That is a hot mess. 
  • My comment that Disney will own Batman and Superman in ten years is reflective upon Disney basically buying everything else up in the past ten years.  Would it make you feel better if I wrote, it doesn't matter since Amazon will own Superman or Batman ?  Google? 
  • Wasn't called out on anything since you got my intent wrong.
  • Seriously... Grow up will you?  You get too involved in this stuff.  I don't see anyone else as 'offended' by my initial post as you are.  Perhaps the only person that would be offended is Whedon's wife.  You take stuff WAY to personally.  Why?  Because my post was not meant to stir a pot or offend.  However you take offense.  Just whoa. 
  • I am sure you will write something amazingly witty and thought provoking but once again, you are a cause of some of the toxicity and demonstrate why you are someone that should be avoided rather than engaged.   Have fun.  I have some work to attend to.  You know where to find me if you really must.  Something tells me that you will because you "must". 

Lunch was delicious.  

Edited by Buzzetta