• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 1 : Take 2

182 posts in this topic

Now we can talk - Ok, because of the revisions to the rules sponsored by co-Brainiacs FFB and Deathlok, contestants who gave this book an 8.5 (read: weak) get 2 points, the same as those who guessed 9.2 makepoint.gif

You guys should have left well-enough alone, as I think you will see, that the changes will result in many "gift" points along the way 893scratchchin-thumb.gif As usual, Nikos instincts were right on.

yeahok.gif

Congrats to the group that nailed it! thumbsup2.gif

If you will, please consider:

Seller "A", who sells you a book advertised on ebay as NM but it shows up as a VF/NM; and

Seller "B", who sells you a book advertised on ebay as VF/NM but it shows up as a VF+.

Who's more accurate? Methinks everyone would agree seller "B" is more accurate, but under your preferred scenario both sellers would be considered equally accurate.

sumo.gif

DB, interesting hypothetical, yet totally irrelevant, and it misses the point entirely. It also interjects the subjectiveness inherent with the buyer's expectations. Here we are grading books by scans, not buying them. Also there is no delivery and confirmation. Grading this 9.0 book at 9.2 and 9.4 was "harder" than grading it at 8.5, because the distinction in grades is finer. Therefore, the reward should have been greater. That was Nikos original intent, and we should have stuck with it.

Now we can talk - Ok, because of the revisions to the rules sponsored by co-Brainiacs FFB and Deathlok, contestants who gave this book an 8.5 (read: weak) get 2 points, the same as those who guessed 9.2 makepoint.gif

You guys should have left well-enough alone, as I think you will see, that the changes will result in many "gift" points along the way 893scratchchin-thumb.gif As usual, Nikos instincts were right on.

yeahok.gif

Seller "A", who sells you a book advertised on ebay as NM but it shows up as a VF/NM; and

Seller "B", who sells you a book advertised on ebay as VF/NM but it shows up as a VF+.

Who's more accurate? Methinks everyone would agree seller "B" is more accurate, but under your preferred scenario both sellers would be considered equally accurate.

sumo.gif

DB, interesting hypothetical, yet totally irrelevant, and it misses the point entirely. It also interjects the subjectiveness inherent with the buyer's expectations. Here we are grading books by scans, not buying them. Also there is no delivery and confirmation. Grading this 9.0 book at 9.2 and 9.4 was "harder" than grading it at 8.5, because the distinction in grades is finer. Therefore, the reward should have been greater. That was Nikos original intent, and we should have stuck with it.

The people who gave it a 9.2 should get 6 points, because they did a better job grading it than CGC. insane.gif

yeahok.gif

sumo.gif

Hulk, stop whining!! poke2.gif

Like I thought, I was bang on, not that hard a book to grade at all if you know what you are looking for, most of the flaws were clear to the naked eye. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I look forward to going head to head with some of the better graders here, In the STL grading contest I owned for a long time till real life took over and I just started guessing without actually looking for the flaws, that's when Scott passed me and now has the lead, but you have my word I'll be busting my [#@$%!!!] to make sure I'm the first to 44 893applaud-thumb.gif

So you're saying that the reason you're not winning the contest on STL anymore is because you haven't been trying very hard?

yeahok.gifyeahok.gifyeahok.gifyeahok.gifyeahok.gif

and

screwy.gif

yeahok.gif

sumo.gif

The people who gave it a 9.2 should get 6 points, because they did a better job grading it than CGC. insane.gif

Now, there you go! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Answer me this: How does a book with a corner crease get a 9.2? I can see how people thought the crease was due to Slab damage, but ....
screwy.gif 9.0 was my pregrade!

Answer me this: How does a book with a corner crease get a 9.2? I can see how people thought the crease was due to Slab damage, but ....

yay.gif

acclaim.gif

Also people who missed Round 1 get 0 points

R1970d

Norrin Radd

Rickdogg

You Guy's... 893naughty-thumb.gif

tonofbricks.gif

Have been busy with work and forgot. foreheadslap.gif

I probably would have guessed 9.2 anyway, so I only lost 2 points. I'll try to submit my grade same day from now on.

flowerred.gif

9.0 OUCH!!

you win some...you lose some.

I thought I saw two creases or tears along the right edge.

Guess I over-analyzed? But I thought the lower right corner brought the book to a 8.5/9.0 max.

Congrats to the ones who nailed it.

Like I thought, I was bang on, not that hard a book to grade at all if you know what you are looking for, most of the flaws were clear to the naked eye. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I look forward to going head to head with some of the better graders here, In the STL grading contest I owned for a long time till real life took over and I just started guessing without actually looking for the flaws, that's when Scott passed me and now has the lead, but you have my word I'll be busting my [#@$%!!!] to make sure I'm the first to 44 893applaud-thumb.gif

So you're saying that the reason you're not winning the contest on STL anymore is because you haven't been trying very hard?

and

screwy.gif

yes

I didn't intentionally miss a round, as much of a geek as I am, I still have real life that sometimes takes me away from the land of comics.

Don't worry pretty boy, you'll have your hands full on this one poke2.gif

I was wandering how any graded it a 9.4......please sumo.gif

I wandered about that too. foreheadslap.gif And I wondered what was I thinking?.

Hmm... I was one grade off, I'll have to actually look at the scan for round 2...

Didn't Greggy post a scan of that comic from round 1 before? For some reason I recognize the cover now that I look at it... Didn't he get it in San Diego last year? Its bad enough that people can check the census... but if this comic was already shown here before...

anyways, team fear will prevail!

and

screwy.gif

yes

I didn't intentionally miss a round, as much of a geek as I am, I still have real life that sometimes takes me away from the land of comics.

Don't worry pretty boy, you'll have your hands full on this one poke2.gif

Are you even in the running anymore? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif You flamed out pretty badly. Went streaking out ahead of everyone, then after a few rounds couldn't get anything right. yeahok.gif

It might have been the other way around for all we know. How do we know you weren't guessing when you were getting the grades right and really trying hard when you started getting them wrong??? laughing.gif

stooges.gif

Are you even in the running anymore? You flamed out pretty badly. Went streaking out ahead of everyone, then after a few rounds couldn't get anything right.

Brocks tied for sixth place at present.

Prove it!

Jim

Rick...nice job as usual on the chart.....here's a suggestion for color coding the score levels, just for faster parsing of what's what. Real simple change, I think.

contestscoresb.jpg