• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Increase Max Number of Likes
1 1

Question

94 answers to this question

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

Is that because Seasoned Veterans can be trusted to use them 'properly' and us mere Members can't?  Or is the additional 15 a day for the SV's some kind of loyalty / longevity reward?

Either way, I am at a total loss as to why you would introduce this tweak. We've had April fools day already haven't we?

Because Seasoned Veterans are by definition not shill accounts that signed up yesterday specifically to troll the system by liking a bunch of things to make a point. Part of the point of the limit was to constrain the annoyance that can be caused by a throw-away account.

44 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I admire your generosity of spirit @comicquant, but Arch is paid to do this job, and he appears to be the only one we can speak to about anything so will always be in the 'firing line' for everything. That's how CGC have set this up. It would be great to see some other admin staff chipping in and sharing the load, if load there be, but that doesn't seem to be the model here. He's managing a comic chat forum at the end of the day, not operating on life threatening illnesses. I just think the decision to set different like levels creates a division. To my knowledge (I'm on neither) Facebook and Twitter users all are on the same page whether they joined yesterday or when the things first started. They don't give out special feature privileges for long term users. I think that's how it should be here. The only thing that should matter is the quality of your post. But please don't judge me too harshly for being 'critical', it's just an alternative opinion on a chat forum. :foryou:

I don't think you're being critical and I see your point but I'm also well aware of Arch's position and responsibilities.  It is a comic chat forum but its provided for free by CGC and its a public facing channel of the leading company in a highly competitive field.  While it may not seem monumental theres an enormous amount of responsibility/accountability placed on individuals managing social platforms free to the public.  As tedious as this decision may seem, this is the type of thing that can cause the two sides of an argument to start pointing fingers.  If you are a potential customer and you happen to stumble upon this forum and see nothing but animosity and hate I can guarantee it has an effect on you so there is value in keeping the peace.  To Arch's point there are still those who want likes removed and to keep the leaderboard so there has to be a democratic process behind decision making.  At the end of the day CGC can give each member whatever they feel like giving them as its their choice.  If members don't like the decisions made their option is to go elsewhere.  Your contribution in many of these matters has helped drive a lot of useful changes but if something doesn't go as desired I think focusing on other improvements is more constructive than going after Arch.  2c            

Edited by comicquant

16 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I don't think you're being critical and I see your point but I'm also well aware of Arch's position and responsibilities.  It is a comic chat forum but its provided for free by CGC and its a public facing channel of the leading company in a highly competitive field.  While it may not seem monumental theres an enormous amount of responsibility/accountability placed on individuals managing social platforms free to the public.  As tedious as this decision may seem, this is the type of thing that can cause the two sides of an argument to start pointing fingers.  If you are a potential customer and you happen to stumble upon this forum and see nothing but animosity and hate I can guarantee it has an effect on you so there is value in keeping the peace.  To Arch's point there are still those who want likes removed and to keep the leaderboard so there has to be a democratic process behind decision making.  At the end of the day CGC can give each member whatever they feel like giving them as its their choice.  If members don't like the decisions made their option is to go elsewhere.  Your contribution in many of these matters has helped drive a lot of useful changes but if something doesn't go as desired I think focusing on other improvements is more constructive than going after Arch.  2c            

Yes, that's well reasoned, thank you @comicquant, you've given me food for thought. 

I'll try to do better in future. 

23 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Because Seasoned Veterans are by definition not shill accounts that signed up yesterday specifically to troll the system by liking a bunch of things to make a point. Part of the point of the limit was to constrain the annoyance that can be caused by a throw-away account.

The only example I can find of you directly criticising the 'gaming' of likes involved two Seasoned Veterans. 

Shill accounts who join just to troll are identified and removed by design. Any likes generated by them should also be removed by design. 

I've promised @comicquant to try to be more positive, and he's right, I should, so let's leave it. Whatever you decide to do Arch I'll go along with.  

On 4/13/2017 at 3:24 PM, comicquant said:

Increase Max Number of Likes

At first I didn't think I'd like the ability to like things but now that I've used it I would like more likes to like things with.  At least 25.

Suck it,pleb! :ph34r:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

The only example I can find of you directly criticising the 'gaming' of likes involved two Seasoned Veterans. 

Shill accounts who join just to troll are identified and removed by design. Any likes generated by them should also be removed by design. 

I've promised @comicquant to try to be more positive, and he's right, I should, so let's leave it. Whatever you decide to do Arch I'll go along with.  

Not easy to remove likes. It is easy to manually adjust a number on user, but you can't take it off of the content and you would have to manually tabulate all of the shill likes per user to remove them correctly and then remove them one user at a time. So that isn't really going to be a thing.

Eventually I may create a group that separates brand new accounts from regular members, but that will take some time investment. Should we reduce the likes again?

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Arch, why can't I like your, and I'd imagine the other mod's  posts?

I turned off the ability to like admin posts because that was part of what the shill was targeting.

On 2017-4-19 at 7:43 PM, Marwood & I said:
On 2017-4-19 at 7:06 PM, Architecht said:

Wedding Announcement

g.PNG.c77947290d2302a2bbf4a9977e7e0878.PNG32-wedding-bells-clipart-free-cliparts-that-you-can-download-to-you-wedding-bell-clip-art-553_525.png.fa1dff4bd432c79e943eb2e75f414c80.pngjsja.PNG.493b7d2bc746a42b9399a40efa8514e9.PNG

Ladies and Gentleman, it is with great pleasure that I announce that @jsilverjanet and @greggy got married this weekend in a secret ceremony by The Water Cooler! :martini:

Our roving reporter, Philip K Dontsaythat caught up with the happy couple shortly after the ceremony which was officiated by @Architecht, arch.PNG.377731162271c8153abddd8f3a8c5208.PNG  a long term friend of the couple. When asked how the two had got together, Greggy's initial response was 'FU Philip' but, after calming down, he had the following to say:

"I have to say I really LIKE Janet. I never noticed her at first but one day I saw this post and that just sealed it for me":

iti.thumb.PNG.a040c63afb087b80751eb77bf6459cad.PNG

Greggy continued, "I mean, "I'll take it"! When I saw that I just knew that Janet was the girl for me. Keen, intelligent and funny. In fact, I LIKED it so much that I began to LIKE everything about her. I've been LIKING her ever since"

g3.thumb.PNG.187d654dc0456f853aeeddf5970a38e7.PNG

Wedding Officiator Architecht had the following to say, after the nuptials "I'm so delighted for Greg and Janet. Along with all the others, they are may favourite Seasoned Veterans and it's great to see them LIKE each other so much. Janet is such a great SV - she'd be 'top member' every day of the week if I had my way!"

jsj.PNG.50f3066e168ee217f5f06360e85d6137.PNG

Archibald continued "I haven't looked at the Leaderboard for ages  - why would I? - but I do hope Janet gets the recognition she deserves. Now, I'm sorry but I have to go. I'm working on some new plug ins which give Seasoned Veterans money off vouchers and free comics"

The happy couple plan to honeymoon in the remote village of 'Top of The Boardville', although the bridal sweet is currently occupied by a huge crate of 1950's war comics.  We wish them well in their married life and hope they LIKE every minute they spend together.

No 'Members' were allowed to attend the ceremony.

jsj1.PNG

I was wondering why the interest in me and not anyone else... hm 

someone feels their popularity is being threatened

oh no.... Jsilvejanet is going to overtake me on the leaderboard...help me arch...help...

IMG_0330.PNG

1 1