• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you deal with overhang?

26 posts in this topic

So, I have had a couple of books come back recently that CGC wouldn't slab due to an overhang. Now, I would really like to get these books slabbed, but I'm not sure how to "fix" the overhang. Obviously if I took some scissors to it (I never would though), and snipped a bit off, it would come back as restored.

Any thoughts? Does CGC need a bigger well to accomodate such books? confused-smiley-013.gif

Another question if selling a high grade book with "overhang" is if it should be disclosed as part of the description of the book, especially since someone else may be purchasing the book with the idea that they would have it slabbed themselves. Should it even be considered part of the grade other than factoring in that it is not perfectly square? confused-smiley-013.gif

So, I have had a couple of books come back recently that CGC wouldn't slab due to an overhang. Now, I would really like to get these books slabbed, but I'm not sure how to "fix" the overhang. Obviously if I took some scissors to it (I never would though), and snipped a bit off, it would come back as restored.

Any thoughts? Does CGC need a bigger well to accomodate such books? confused-smiley-013.gif

Send it to PGX. If enough people do, maybe CGC will finally put some effort into developing a holder that doesn't mangle overhangs. Christo_pull_hair.gif

This is an annoying and slightly off topic question, but is overhang when the comic's cover extends farther than the interior pages...if so, I think nearly all of my best comics have overhang.

Just KEEP the friggin' book in your collection in Mylar fergawdsake - not every book in the world needs to be slabbed makepoint.gif

This is an annoying and slightly off topic question, but is overhang when the comic's cover extends farther than the interior pages...if so, I think nearly all of my best comics have overhang.

Most Silver Age Marvels have some degree of overhang, and if they don't, someone probably used the tool illustrated above! 27_laughing.gif

(Either that, or they were purchased from an ebay powerseller who uses private auctions to protect and dissuade the... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif)

Just KEEP the friggin' book in your collection in Mylar fergawdsake - not every book in the world needs to be slabbed makepoint.gif

I just got a really nice Silver Surfer #2 back that had been signed by Gene Colon for the Signature Series. Should have come back around 8.0. And since my #1 (signed by Colon), did so well last night, I am peeved now that I am not able to sell it because of an overhang.

Hate 893censored-thumb.gif overhang, won a beautiful Iron Man #2, and it was mailed to me with the "do not encapsulate" sticker on the mylar 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

I just got a really nice Silver Surfer #2 back that had been signed by Gene Colon for the Signature Series. Should have come back around 8.0. And since my #1 (signed by Colon), did so well last night, I am peeved now that I am not able to sell it because of an overhang.

Well, I sincerely hope it was Gene Colan that signed it, and not Gene Colon 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Well, I sincerely hope it was Gene Colan that signed it, and not Gene Colon 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

foreheadslap.gifinsane.gif

Send it to PGX. If enough people do, maybe CGC will finally put some effort into developing a holder that doesn't mangle overhangs. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I agree with this statement. I had 2 mid grade GA books come back from CGC with overhang. I'm sending them to PGX since I like my GA books slabbed. I've noticed that most mid grade GA books valued under $200 sell around the same ammount whether they're CGC or PGX slabbed.