• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Warren Pubs Key/Scarce "Hit List"
5 5

232 posts in this topic

My Warren Pubs Key/Scarce "Hit List"

My list so far. Subjective for sure. I'm looking for opinions to add anything else. Call out any book not on here and why I might be interested in adding it. This is my current "goal" with key/scarce Warren books. I do have some of these already.

After Hours #1 (1957/1st Warren Publication)

Best of creepy paperback (1971)- novelty interest

Blazing Combat #1 (1965)-scarce, key

Blazing Combat Anthology (1978)-scarce?

Creepy #1 (1964)- key*

Creepy #32-scarce

Dracula special (1972)- UK reprints, general interest,not sure if it's scarce*

Eerie #1 ashcan (1st printing)-rare

Eerie #1 ashcan (2nd printing)-rare*

Eerie Tales #1 (1959)*

Eerie #2-key*

Eerie #17-scarce

Eerie #23-classic cover*

Famous Monsters #1-key

Famous Monsters #26-Outer Limits, seems to be harder to find?

Heidi Saha (1973)-rare*

House of Horror (1978)-rare

Spacemen Yearbook (1965)-novelty interest but less common in grade?

Vampirella #1-key*

Vampirella #3-scarce

Vampirella Annual #1-key?

Vampirella Special (softcover)-scarce?

Vampirella Special (hardcover)-rare

Vampirella paperbacks (6 different)-novelty interest, scarcer in grade?

Weird Mysteries #1 (1959)

So this is my "hit list". Care to offer suggestions?

*= Got at least one copy in some condition 

Edited by N e r V

That's a helluva hit list.:applause:

Although, if t were me... I would go for Blazing Combat 1-4 to have the entire set.

That's what I'm currently doing.

Some of those books will take forever to locate, so good luck. Post em when you get em.

I'm in 100% agreement with you there. I met these are the books I see as either most challenging, expensive or "must have" in my collection so they get top billing in my searches before looking downward to everything else I want.

I'm just wondering if I missed something that maybe should also be on my radar?

3 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I'm in 100% agreement with you there. I met these are the books I see as either most challenging, expensive or "must have" in my collection so they get top billing in my searches before looking downward to everything else I want.

I'm just wondering if I missed something that maybe should also be on my radar?

A Warren horrortastic list. :headbang:

I've always had a fondness for Creepy 63, which I haven't been able to find in high grade for years.  It contains the classic Wrightson story "Jenifer", which was also got the live action treatment in John Carpenter's Master of Horror series. 

1 hour ago, Brian48 said:

Was Issue 113 a Warren published book?  I thought the series ended at 112?

113 is published after Warren by Harris with a reproduced cover from Vampirella 64. The print run wasn't super high and it was at a low point for Warrens so high grade copies are tougher than a lot of magazines.  And yes, 112 is the last Warren issue.

55 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

Is the Spacemen 1965 Yearbook really scarce? It wasn't about 20 years ago. Those things were everywhere, in high grade, and dirt cheap.

BTW: found this on the internet archive while googling for this topic... https://archive.org/details/Spacemen_1965_Yearbook

It seems harder to find in 9.0 or better and commands some respectable prices accordingly.  I know what you mean, though, I started putting together a high grade Warren collection of Warrens 25 years ago and quit because they weren't that challenging or hard to find.  Now, it's a different story!

3 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

It seems harder to find in 9.0 or better and commands some respectable prices accordingly.  I know what you mean, though, I started putting together a high grade Warren collection of Warrens 25 years ago and quit because they weren't that challenging or hard to find.  Now, it's a different story!

Nice, I checked the prices and I am pleasantly surprised.  I always loved that book for the cover alone. 

3 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Im finding out that high grade examples of Warren mags are getting tougher. 

I know there's this whole warehouse copies " stigma" , but most of those were found to be in VG to Fine grades and that was 30 years ago.

So in my opinion yeah there might be many copies in VG- Fine, but the high grade books are scarce.

43 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Im finding out that high grade examples of Warren mags are getting tougher. 

I know there's this whole warehouse copies " stigma" , but most of those were found to be in VG to Fine grades and that was 30 years ago.

So in my opinion yeah there might be many copies in VG- Fine, but the high grade books are scarce.

I think you're totally right about that.  There are definitely certain issues that you can find crazy numbers of like Eerie 12 and Creepy 20, etc. but there are big chunks of each of the 4 major runs that high grade copies are either locked up in collections or few and far between.  I'm probably 75% complete on Eerie, Creepy, and Vampirella in 9.0 or better but there are some issues that are tough.  It seems like they've really heated up a bit in the last year.

Edited by Randall Dowling

1 minute ago, Randall Dowling said:

I think you're totally right about that.  There definitely certain issues that you can find crazy numbers of like Eerie 12 and Creepy 20, etc. but there are big chunks of each of the 4 major runs that high grade copies are either locked up in collections or few and far between.  I'm probably 75% complete on Eerie, Creepy, and Vampirella in 9.0 or better but there are some issues that are tough.  It seems like they've really heated up a bit in the last year.

We cant be the only two looking to make high grade runs.:whatthe:

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

We cant be the only two looking to make high grade runs.:whatthe:

xD No, I think there's quite a few of us.  I've had a lot more competition for room to look at floor boxes during conventions lately!  (For some reason a lot of dealers still think that's where magazines belong, I don't get it)

4 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

xD No, I think there's quite a few of us.  I've had a lot more competition for room to look at floor boxes during conventions lately!  (For some reason a lot of dealers still think that's where magazines belong, I don't get it)

I dont understand why someone would pay ridiculous amounts of money for a random Walking Dead book, yet not be interested in these classic horror masterpieces.

On 6/17/2017 at 11:06 PM, oakman29 said:

I dont understand why someone would pay ridiculous amounts of money for a random Walking Dead book, yet not be interested in these classic horror masterpieces.

I totally agree. Many collectors and dealers have told me they aren't as collectible as comics due to size. To me it makes no sense. If you are an EC or precode horror fan then you should be collecting these mags. After all, Jim Warren sought out many of the EC artists to work on the early Creepy and Eerie issues.