• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Warren Pubs Key/Scarce "Hit List"
5 5

232 posts in this topic

On 7/8/2017 at 0:18 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Especially considering they weren't very attractive books.  They're grading of raw is a bit too structure focused for me.

As I recall they seemed to have many cgc graded books a few years ago in their auctions and now it's only just raws

On Monday, May 01, 2017 at 9:42 AM, N e r V said:

My Warren Pubs Key/Scarce "Hit List"

My list so far. Subjective for sure. I'm looking for opinions to add anything else. Call out any book not on here and why I might be interested in adding it. This is my current "goal" with key/scarce Warren books. I do have some of these already.

Best of creepy paperback (1971)- novelty interest

Blazing Combat #1 (1965)-scarce, key

Blazing Combat Anthology (1978)-scarce?

Creepy #1 (1964)- key

Creepy #32-scarce

Dracula special (1972)- UK reprints, general interest,not sure if it's scarce

Eerie #1 ashcan (1st printing)-rare

Eerie #1 ashcan (2nd printing)-rare

Eerie #2-key

Eerie #17-scarce

Eerie #23-classic cover

Famous Monsters #1-key

Famous Monsters #26-Outer Limits, seems to be harder to find?

Heidi Saha (1973)-rare

House of Horror (1978)-rare

Spacemen Yearbook (1965)-novelty interest but less common in grade?

Vampirella #1-key

Vampirella #3-scarce

Vampirella Annual #1-key?

Vampirella Special (softcover)-scarce?

Vampirella Special (hardcover)-rare

Vampirella paperbacks (6 different)-novelty interest, scarcer in grade?

So this is my "hit list". Care to offer suggestions?

When I was a kid I purchased House of Horror #1 at my LCS.  Unfortunately I sold it about 10 years ago. It was a one shot series with Frankenstein on the cover.  

Does anyone know the current value. Is this a desirable item?

47 minutes ago, raybowles said:

When I was a kid I purchased House of Horror #1 at my LCS.  Unfortunately I sold it about 10 years ago. It was a one shot series with Frankenstein on the cover.  

I did a quick search of past eBay sales and found none. There are a few for sale on ebay, one of which is a seller (mycomicshop) asking $865 for a CGC 8.0.
The last recorded sale in GPA was in 2015 for a CGC 9.2. It sold for $1,434   :whatthe: 

So I'd say not only rare, but tough to acquire in higher grades.

3 hours ago, DeadOne said:

I did a quick search of past eBay sales and found none. There are a few for sale on ebay, one of which is a seller (mycomicshop) asking $865 for a CGC 8.0.
The last recorded sale in GPA was in 2015 for a CGC 9.2. It sold for $1,434   :whatthe: 

Weren't these the unpublished copies (500 in total as I recall) that were stolen from the Ackermansion as reported by Forry himself?

17 hours ago, Jayman said:
20 hours ago, DeadOne said:

Weren't these the unpublished copies (500 in total as I recall) that were stolen from the Ackermansion as reported by Forry himself?

(shrug)

My pay grade stops at the "pretty cover/cool book" phase of collecting. :D

3 hours ago, DeadOne said:

(shrug)

My pay grade stops at the "pretty cover/cool book" phase of collecting. :D

I mis-remembered. I located the article mentioning the House of Horror magazine for anyone who is interested…

The following is an excerpt from an introduction by Forrest J. Ackerman for the 1988 “Collector’s Guide to Monster, Science Fiction and Fantasy Film Magazines” price guide.

“This mysterious magazine American oneshot, House of Horror, missing from 99% of completists’ collections: here’s the story on it. There was such a magazine in England. Warren learned they were about to ship a number of copies to America each issue. He didn’t want any extra competition so he rushed into print a domestic magazine with the same name, reprinting 4 articles by me with a 5th reprint by Dennis Billows, an assistant of mine at the time. The edition was extremely limited ---only 400 copies, if I recall correctly, though on a nice white better stock of paper than FM ---because the publisher only had to satisfy certain copyright regulations, such as circulating 200 copies in 5 states (or whatever). This was in 1978. The unsold copies of the “ashcan” edition he gave to me. At one time an assistant (not Billows) stole about 30 copies from me and sold them to a dealer in a nearby city. After the perfidy came to my attention (and the assistant was gone) I bought back my own magazines because they had been sold for far less than I knew they were worth.”

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

I mis-remembered. I located the article mentioning the House of Horror magazine for anyone who is interested…

The following is an excerpt from an introduction by Forrest J. Ackerman for the 1988 “Collector’s Guide to Monster, Science Fiction and Fantasy Film Magazines” price guide.

“This mysterious magazine American oneshot, House of Horror, missing from 99% of completists’ collections: here’s the story on it. There was such a magazine in England. Warren learned they were about to ship a number of copies to America each issue. He didn’t want any extra competition so he rushed into print a domestic magazine with the same name, reprinting 4 articles by me with a 5th reprint by Dennis Billows, an assistant of mine at the time. The edition was extremely limited ---only 400 copies, if I recall correctly, though on a nice white better stock of paper than FM ---because the publisher only had to satisfy certain copyright regulations, such as circulating 200 copies in 5 states (or whatever). This was in 1978. The unsold copies of the “ashcan” edition he gave to me. At one time an assistant (not Billows) stole about 30 copies from me and sold them to a dealer in a nearby city. After the perfidy came to my attention (and the assistant was gone) I bought back my own magazines because they had been sold for far less than I knew they were worth.”

Guys I appreciate the information.  I purchased my copy from a comic store in Hawaiian Gardens, CA in 1978.  When I got married in 1990 I sold my entire comic collection ( I had every key marvel except Hulk #1 and FF #1) for $5,000.  That figure was a good price at that time.  I actually had 4 collectors come to my house and passed on my collection before someone actually bought it.  That collection would easily be worth over $100 K today.  I had an Amazing Fantasy #15 in fine condition plus 10 copies each of Hulk #`180 and #181. 

The only comic that I kept was the House of Horror #1 because that was my favorite comic at that time.  I was hoping to keep it but I had to come up with money during tax time and I had to sell it.

On 7/20/2017 at 7:18 PM, raybowles said:

Nice hit list:flipbait: