• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA With Less Than Ten Copies in the CGC Census
31 31

2,844 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2022 at 1:30 PM, sfcityduck said:

For your first question, longtime GA dealers and collectors who post on this site (e.g. Bedrock, Robotman, etc.) have great insights because they have experiences, connections, and memories/notes that many of us lack. Me, I just have some personal anecdotes and a memory for what others wiser people have said on this site.

For your second question, the books you need to buy are the Photo Journal Guide to Comic Books vols. 1 and 2 by Ernst Gerber. You can find them on eBay. They are a great resource for any GA collector.  There are Marvel Books also, but I don't see the need for those.

I was told to get those many years ago and I did...I learned a lot from them, loved the pictures and spent way too much time searching for some books. 
However, as eBay became bigger, I found that his numbers were not always so accurate. Atomic Bomb comes to mind as one of those. If I recall correctly it was a 10. I had 3 copies at one time.

People were just looking in their closets and listing "rare" books.

On 10/6/2022 at 11:30 PM, skypinkblu said:

I was told to get those many years ago and I did...I learned a lot from them, loved the pictures and spent way too much time searching for some books. 
However, as eBay became bigger, I found that his numbers were not always so accurate. Atomic Bomb comes to mind as one of those. If I recall correctly it was a 10. I had 3 copies at one time.

People were just looking in their closets and listing "rare" books.

There is no picture of the Champ Comics #20 I posted earlier today and he gave it a 7, which I always found odd. *shrug*

On 10/7/2022 at 12:19 AM, circumstances said:

There is no picture of the Champ Comics #20 I posted earlier today and he gave it a 7, which I always found odd. *shrug*

I had a Flash book that had no picture, it was also a #7. 

There was an eBay seller and at least one board member whose books were pictured in the guide. Gerber went to their homes.

I was very impressed when they told me about that...but it makes sense, where would he find all the pictures.

Edited by skypinkblu

On 10/7/2022 at 12:25 AM, skypinkblu said:

There was an eBay seller and at least one board member whose books were pictured in the guide. Gerber went to their homes.

I was very impressed when they told me about that...but it makes sense, where would he find all the pictures.

He had great connections and knew a lot of folks in the collecting and dealing community.

He never asked to photograph my books! 

On 10/6/2022 at 11:25 PM, skypinkblu said:

In my case Ernie paid to have the books shipped to him for photo's and then shipped back. He gave me the Deluxe Leather bound copy of the Journals as compensation.

On 10/10/2022 at 6:15 PM, Yorick said:

GCD says it has some Godwin Connie near the end.  Love Godwin's work.

it sure does (plz excuse the dark pic...it's actually a white pager. Haven't reshot the interior yet, only the cover a couple years go in better light):

image.thumb.jpeg.96be5f6957f032c34ff00d059df0f7f3.jpeg

Edited by Pantodude

On 10/18/2022 at 3:30 PM, Pantodude said:

This book has 10 on the census.  But as it is statistically likely that at least one of them is a resub without removal of the prior cert from the cenus, we can be confident there are less than 10.  :devil:  So, w/o further ado, ....

image.jpeg.b13609208f94a8c36e45170112a09a06.jpeg

Never seen that one :bigsmile: