• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anti-Stalin before it was cool: Catman 3
3 3

54 posts in this topic

Is there another instance of a WW II-era comic that has an anti-Stalin cover?  I know that Young Allies 1 was originally intended to have one, but then Hitler invaded the Soviet Union and the cover was redrawn.

Of course, once the Cold War started, there were anti-Stalin covers, but I'm having trouble thinking of another one from WW II.

This was inspired by looking at Berk's copy on CC.

Edited by Sqeggs
Not sure how the thread title also became the beginning of the post

I'm pretty sure that's the only comic cover with Stalin from the WW2 era. I do recall seeing a pulp from around the same time with him on it, but can't recall the name. 

1 minute ago, Point Five said:

How about this one?

(I've long been intrigued by the very brief window of anti-Stalin covers as well. There definitely weren't a lot of them.)

0.jpg

Good one!  Can't recall ever having seen it.

Presumably these covers (if there are any more) would have to have been published in the window between August 1939 when Stalin became Hitler's ally and June 1941 when Hitler invaded the Soviet Union and Stalin became a de facto ally of the United States.

I think it was really following the Soviet Winter War with Finland in 1939-1940 that  U.S. public opinion really got riled up against him.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Good one!  Can't recall ever having seen it.

Presumably these covers (if there are any more) would have to have been published in the window between August 1939 when Stalin became Hitler's ally and June 1941 when Hitler invaded the Soviet Union and Stalin became a de facto ally of the United States.

(thumbsu

I thought there was one more Nedor cover with Stalin circa '41 with rather bland linework... an early Exciting or Thrilling maybe?... but took a quick spin on GCD and was unable to find it.

There is an anti-USSR Black Bat Detective from May '41 with two mustached Soviet villains, but IMO neither is unmistakably Stalin.

The Catman #3 is the best one in my book. Hope to nab a copy someday! 

35 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Another thought occurred to me:  Were there any pro-Stalin covers later in the war?  I'm having trouble thinking of any. 

Yeah, none come to mind. I'd say Stalin wasn't quite a cuddly enough guy that a US cover artist would want to hitch their wagon to him.

Marvel Mystery #44 is a cool example of an (arguably) pro-USSR cover, but that's about the closest I can think of.

7 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Yeah, none come to mind. I'd say Stalin wasn't quite a cuddly enough guy that a US cover artist would want to hitch their wagon to him.

Marvel Mystery #44 is a cool example of an (arguably) pro-USSR cover, but that's about the closest I can think of.

I think I can just make him out in a window of the Kremlin. hm

It was always an uneasy alliance.

Americans weren't exactly viewing the Soviets as "friends" in as much as it was the enemy of your enemy can be your alley (for a limited time at least).

I know from talking with family who lived through it that Stalin was considered by many to be as bad or worse than Hitler at the time. 

Edited by N e r V

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Another thought occurred to me:  Were there any pro-Stalin covers later in the war?  I'm having trouble thinking of any. 

There were some heroic biographical stories of Russian generals fighting the Nazis in books like Real Life, True and others.

40 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

There were some heroic biographical stories of Russian generals fighting the Nazis in books like Real Life, True and others.

Good point.  I don't think I've read any but I think I recall seeing references to the stories on covers.

Just now, Montezuma said:

It was late in the war, and not Stalin, but War Comics 3 had a pro Russian back cover

War%20Heroes%203%20back_zpsb8ykefjz.jpg

Good one.  Don't recall having seen it before.

8 hours ago, Point Five said:

Schomburg did a few covers that were definitely favorable to the Russians, Cap leading a Russian tank division, the Soviet flag flying being carried by a superhero, etc. I think it was mainly because Schomburg did so many war covers, he sometimes just dropped in topical elements to keep them interesting. 

2 hours ago, rjpb said:

Schomburg did a few covers that were definitely favorable to the Russians, Cap leading a Russian tank division, the Soviet flag flying being carried by a superhero, etc. I think it was mainly because Schomburg did so many war covers, he sometimes just dropped in topical elements to keep them interesting. 

Like this is 

0911121946561.jpg