• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUDGE DREDD TV: MEGA CITY ONE (TBD)
1 1

36 posts in this topic

DREDD TV SHOW: YOU'VE BEEN JUDGED (TBD)

Judge Dredd TV Show In The Works

IM Global and Rebellion have announced that development has begun on Judge Dredd: Mega City One, a new television series based on the popular 2000 AD character.

Judge Dredd: Mega City One is set in a future where the entire East Coast of the United States has become one crowded metropolis. The show will feature an ensemble of Judges - future cops who are endowed with the power of a traditional judge, jury, and executioner - as they attempt to curb crime in the 22nd century.

hxCn6UV.png

IM Global Television president Mark Stern will serve as executive producer on Judge Dredd: Mega City One. Stern developed Battlestar Galactica, Helix, and Defiance at Syfy. Stern will be joined as executive producer by IM Global Television CEO Stuart Ford Rebellion owners Jason and Chris Kingsley, who all executive produced 2012's Dredd.

“This is one of those seminal sci-fi properties that seems to become more relevant with age,” said Stern in a statement. “Not only is it a rich world with biting social commentary, but it’s also fun as hell! As a fan of the comics and both films, it’s a dream come true to be able to work with Jason and Chris in adapting this for television.”

“We’re very excited to be beginning the journey to get more of Judge Dredd’s Mega-City One on the television screen,” said Jason and Chris Kingsley said. “Thanks to the legions of fans who have kept up pressure on social media, and a lot of background work and enthusiasm, we aim to make a big budget production that will satisfy both our vast comics audience and the even greater general screen-watching public.”

Edited by Bosco685

8 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

So what would be the keys?

Judge Andersen and Judge Death first appearances should be looked at.

No clue what issues those are since I do not follow the book. I should have a copy or two of #1 someplace, but that would be it.

11 minutes ago, kimik said:

No clue what issues those are since I do not follow the book. I should have a copy or two of #1 someplace, but that would be it.

I always thought Dredd's world Mega-City was on par with Batman's Gotham.

This could be a huge hit,maybe make Dredd mainstream in America like Bond.

Judge Dredd TV Series Producer Comments On Karl Urban's Involvement

According to producers of the series, titled Judge Dredd: Mega City One, former Dredd star Karl Urban could potentially return as the deadly officer.

The Dredd-centric podcast, 2000 AD Thrill-Cast, producers Jason Kingsley and Brian Jenkins came on to talk a bit about the upcoming show. As you'd expect, the first question they were asked revolved around Karl Urban's involvement. Fans adored the actor's portrayal of the character in Dredd 3D, and many are hoping he will reprise the role.

Instead of disappointing the masses, Jenkins actually gave hope that Urban could appear in the series. He revealed that he's actually spoken with Urban about the show, several times, and they aren't saying no just yet.

"We have had many conversations prior to this, about all sorts of things. He’s also very busy, a full-time professional actor. So we’re going to have some long and complicated conversations I would imagine, and we’ll see where we go. It’s too early to tell yet, but if we can use him and he’s available to us, then I think that would be absolutely brilliant.

"There’s always a possibility he will be busy, or that his schedule for other movies won’t allow- Basically, we don’t know at this stage."

The 2000 AD Thrill-Cast: Judge Dredd: Mega-City One podcast

Judge Dredd TV Series At Least 2 Years Away

Despite the excitement over the adaptation of the 2000 AD character, try to calm yourself down, as one of the show's producers recently revealed to SFX Magazine that it might be two years before the series airs anywhere.

Jason Kingsley revealed to the magazine, "Long-form storytelling makes showing Mega-City One and its inhabitants much easier. Trying to fit all of that into a two-hour movie is very hard. My best guess is that it’s at least two years away. But we’re so early in the process that things could happen a bit faster, or much more slowly.”

As far as the show's tone is concerned, Kingsley revealed, "Dark fantasy elements are one area that would be great to explore." He added, "The show will combine the macabre with the insane and the light-hearted. It's a big place, after all, with 400 million stories to tell."

HELL YES!!

Karl Urban In Talks To Star In Judge Dredd TV Series

Karl Urban may don the iconic helmet of Judge Dredd once again.

The actor revealed at the Star Trek Las Vegas Convention that he is in talks to appear in the television series Judge Dredd: Mega City One, which is currently in development.

“I am in discussions with them about that,” Urban revealed. “I told them that if they write the material and give Dredd something to do and give him a function, I will be there. I would love to.”

Judge Dredd: Mega City One producer Brian Jenkins previously said that they’d be interested in seeing Urban return if they could work it out amid his busy schedule.

"We have had many conversations prior to this, about all sorts of things," Jenkins said. "He’s also very busy, a full-time professional actor. So we’re going to have some long and complicated conversations I would imagine, and we’ll see where we go. It’s too early to tell yet, but if we can use him and he’s available to us, then I think that would be absolutely brilliant. There’s always a possibility he will be busy, or that his schedule for other movies won’t allow- Basically, we don’t know at this stage."

Judge Dredd TV Show Exec Confirms Karl Urban Talks

Yes, the talks for Karl Urban to be involved in the Judge Dredd TV show really are happening.

And now, one of the show's crew members has backed up Urban's statement. Jason Kingsley, an executive producer on the series, recently confirmed to ScreenGeek that talks with Urban are ongoing.

"We have been in discussions with Karl about his possible involvement in Judge Dredd: Mega-City One for some time," Kingsley said. "These conversations continue but we’re keen, he’s keen – it’s just a case of us making sure this show is everything we want it to be."

While Urban's first turn in the role in 2013's Dredd was not very successful at the box office, it eventually grew into a cult classic amongst fans. According to Kingsley, doing the property right again is a priority for everyone involved in Mega-City One, as made evident by the reported two-year wait for the series' debut.

"This needs to be done right – the fans deserve it," Kingsley said. "Our team is working hard on scripts for the first season, creating engaging multi-thread storylines, one of which will be Dredd’s, but others which take us into the wider world of Mega-City One."

Karl Urban Dishes the Details On How To Get Him Back as JUDGE DREDD

Judge-Dredd-Mega-City-One-700x466.jpg

Urban, busy promoting his newest foray into comic book movies, THOR: RAGNAROK, has shown interest in returning to the character in the past. It should be no surprise, then,  that the subject was brought up to him during his latest press junket. According to Urban, if the story is right, he'll be there.

"Well, Rebellion, who owns the rights to Judge Dredd, are currently developing a television series called Mega-City One, and I’ve had many discussions with them about my involvement of which I am interested, and I said to them, 'Listen, if you write a character that has a function and a purpose and contributes to the overall story, then I might be very interested in reprising that role.' I certainly wouldn’t want to step into it and just pay lip service to the movie. There has to be some material there that warrants further exploration of that character. So the ball’s in their court."

Hopefully, this will inspire the producers and writers of JUDGE DREDD: MEGA-CITY ONE to create a series worthy of the character's name.

Here's an update on that long-gestating Judge Dredd TV series

Is this show still happening? The shortest and most frustrating answer is: Yes, but not anytime soon. As the video explains, the Judge Dredd: Mega-City One is the brainchild of IM Global and Rebellion Productions (a UK-based video game developer who owns the rights to the original 2000 AD comic).

When Rebellion CEO Jason Kinsley revealed the idea for the show—which would not be so much a sequel or prequel to the much-loved Karl Urban Dredd film, but would rather focus on an ensemble cast of characters in Mega-City One, with Dredd himself only playing a small part—fans were excited by the ambitious proposal. However, the development process for such an ambitious project is long and arduous, and this one in particular was complicated by Rebellion wanting to handle the production side of things themselves.

In November of last year, Rebellion revealed to Variety that they had purchased a piece of property near Oxford, England that would function as their personal TV and film studio. Keeping all development and production duties in-house will no doubt ensure that Judge Dredd: Mega-City One is as close to the creators’ intended vision as possible, but it also means that the massive sci-fi world is in the hands of a company who’s never done something like this before. So, as Rebellion limps their way into to pre-production, we’re still no closer to knowing when this show will get made and, just as importantly, how we’ll see it once it’s done.

“Although the initial statement made mention of two years, it is unlikely we will see [Rebellion] entering into full production this year,” says Mr. H. “Though, I would imagine we’ll get a major update by the year’s end.”