• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Abbreviate quoted text - helpful or annoying extra click?
1 1

Abbreviate long quoted text?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should we install a plugin to hide more than X lines of quoted text?

• Install it and limit it to 15 lines
    • Install it and limit it to 10 lines
    • Install it and limit it to 5 lines
    • Don't install it. If someone quotes something, no matter how long, I always want to be able to read it all without having to click "more"

Question

• Administrator

Abbreviate quoted text - helpful or annoying extra click?

I saw this plugin today that seemed like a potentially good idea.

What is does it hide anything more than X lines of quoted text under a "more" link that can be clicked to display the rest by the reader.

Most quoted text is reasonably sized, so this plugin wouldn't affect it, as we'd choose to always display several lines by default (exact number to be determined). But in cases where someone quotes 40 lines of text, some of it would be hidden.

Forum_View.png.5651c8410c1ef7ed6ff47a08f

56 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
49 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I vote this the most irritating new feature. :pullhair:

I thought that was me?

You'll need to try harder.

On 2017-05-19 at 6:47 PM, bc said:

Rather see if we can shrink the user info box from 14.75% of the width of the screen (236 pixels out of 1600) to fit more user generated content as well as shrinking all the Quote and "Like this" area. If we wanted to communicate on Facebook, we'd have moved there already. And wasn't a "+1" the same as a "Like"?

Big ditto on this.

SOOOOO much wasted space on useless content.

Been saying this from the beginning. The post should be the most prominent thing on the screen.

Everything else should be secondary.

On 2017-05-20 at 1:45 AM, bababooey said:

I am clicking 'read more' and getting some odd views where a couple posts are overlapping each other.

read more overlap.png

Ah, I see. This is just another way of making it all my fault.

On 2017-05-20 at 10:13 AM, lizards2 said:

I vote this the most irritating new feature. :pullhair:

Is it because of sales threads that you find it irritating?

I'll be honest, I completely avoid sales threads with a zillion pics in each post.

I do like the truncated feature but only for pics (assuming there is one pic in each post).

Other than that I can live without it.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Sooo @Architecht ... has this one been decided, or still a chance that it gets rolled back?

Still a chance. I've upped the number of lines that are displayed before abbreviation a couple of times due to feedback. Looking for the sweet spot to see if there's a "right" setting, or if we should just remove it. Just letting it marinate.

16 hours ago, Architecht said:
17 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Sooo @Architecht ... has this one been decided, or still a chance that it gets rolled back?

Still a chance. I've upped the number of lines that are displayed before abbreviation a couple of times due to feedback. Looking for the sweet spot to see if there's a "right" setting, or if we should just remove it. Just letting it marinate.

Anyone else experiencing the sudden drops to the bottom of the page when quoting a post with truncated text?  Or is that possibly a Safari quirk?

56 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Anyone else experiencing the sudden drops to the bottom of the page when quoting a post with truncated text?  Or is that possibly a Safari quirk?

Not here in chromeville @Sqeggs, no.

On 5/26/2017 at 10:07 PM, Architecht said:

On 5/26/2017 at 8:57 PM, Sqeggs said:

It sucks. Please remove it.
And yes, that's hardly constructive feedback but I'd rather deal with people quoting the same images over and over again than constantly clicking "read more". I finding that it's more annoying and more frequent to click "read more" than dealing with people quoting (for instance) greggy's new slabbed drek multiple times.

On 2017-06-13 at 0:07 PM, Architecht said:

Disabled this as I've heard some complaints, but no raving fans. We'll see if disabling it brings out those who have quietly appreciated it or if it just wasn't helpful.

After using it for a while I'm actually going to change my vote.

Once I got used to it I actually quite liked how clean  and easy to read threads were without all the extra clutter.

I didn't realize you'd disabled it and I found myself getting annoyed seeing the same strings of pics and vids over and over in the same thread.

And as far as the written text goes, you're right in that most posts aren't long enough to be truncated and the ones that are long enough to be truncated are going need extra time to read and reply to anyway so the extra step is a moot point.

I vote to allow the Abbreviation software.

From the poll results it looked like 40% were against and the rest were for but couldn't agree on how much to truncate.

1 1