• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC UK Price Variants
8 8

236 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 10:45 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

And twas only a tenner too, Daphne.

Very nice for a tenner. (thumbsu

On 5/9/2022 at 10:45 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I say 'only'. That's half an hour's electricity nowadays....

Electricity? What sinister sorcery do you speak of?

forkhandles.jpg.d0807b2c8df8cf2fb5d91395b6055f08.jpg

On 5/9/2022 at 1:29 PM, rakehell said:

Very nice for a tenner. (thumbsu

Electricity? What sinister sorcery do you speak of?

forkhandles.jpg.d0807b2c8df8cf2fb5d91395b6055f08.jpg

Fork handles?

On 5/10/2022 at 9:23 AM, rakehell said:

Nah, that's four candles, innit?

:grin:

I was thinking, Daphers, how seemingly, comparatively unloved DC pence copies are, and wondering why. If I'm honest, they interest me the least of all the seven UKPV bearing publishers which is probably why I've resorted to UK compendium posts in this thread. There's not much to say really, is there. DC are second from last in the viewing figures in my UKPV journal summaries, beaten even by King. So no one else seems that interested either. Odd in a way, isn't it. They're the second most prolific publisher in terms of UKPV issue numbers, and include high profile characters such as Batman and Superman, but the run is so comparatively eventless when compared to Marvel and the other publishers. There's not much to get excited by or analyse other than a straight cover price change. No indicia variations or additional cover dressings. Just that price. The early 1971 5p copies are about as exciting as it gets.

They would probably be the easiest pence run to gather too. Maybe that has a bearing on it - too easy.

This is my most exciting copy, and that is due to the missing ink!

2074443416_408PrintingError.thumb.jpg.38416eb47c14d22502fc0b65c1437dd9.jpg

Poor DC UKPVs.

Now the Thorpe & Porter DC stamped copies, they are a different matter and full of exciting things. Who would have thought that they would surpass the actual UKPVs in collector / researcher interest...

On 5/10/2022 at 6:49 PM, themagicrobot said:

All things considered these are still quite cheap on both sides of the Atlantic but the pence issue must be a rarity?

80p.thumb.jpg.864108dc0abe2b552a337e672dd8c47b.jpg

There's enough of them on eBore to suggest not, Robbie....

Capture.PNG.97097466e0a5bbd8310c1b875f504f4d.PNG

That's a crap price box, isn't it :bigsmile:

On 5/10/2022 at 8:14 PM, themagicrobot said:

Always a pleasure to drop in here so I can be regularly put in my place. I should know better by now.

one.jpg.7287d7fc68a1b5ca6e6397635cc24ba7.jpg

Always welcome, Robot. I'll take it at 30p, please :)

On 5/10/2022 at 10:15 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I was thinking, Daphers, how seemingly, comparatively unloved DC pence copies are, and wondering why. If I'm honest, they interest me the least of all the seven UKPV bearing publishers which is probably why I've resorted to UK compendium posts in this thread. There's not much to say really, is there. DC are second from last in the viewing figures in my UKPV journal summaries, beaten even by King. So no one else seems that interested either. Odd in a way, isn't it. They're the second most prolific publisher in terms of UKPV issue numbers, and include high profile characters such as Batman and Superman, but the run is so comparatively eventless when compared to Marvel and the other publishers. There's not much to get excited by or analyse other than a straight cover price change. No indicia variations or additional cover dressings. Just that price. The early 1971 5p copies are about as exciting as it gets.

I blame Superboy myself. I agree with your lack of enthusiasm and I think it stems from a general lack of interest in those Bronze DC titles. When I were young, I had less than no interest in Teen Titans. Why would I when there were the X-men to collect? I know I'll get some people riled when I say that DC has always seemed waaay too tame to me, especially when I was young and impressionable. Jimmy Olsen? I wanted to kick his arse! The Punisher, though, he was dangerous. And Werewolf by Night? Scary stuff. I love the DC horror stuff & some of the more oddball things like Plop, but I just cannot get a fire lit for the likes of Arak Son of Thunder.

This, on the other hand, I will always want multiple copies of. Partly because of the random-ness of those 5p outliers.

2074443416_408PrintingError.thumb.jpg.38416eb47c14d22502fc0b65c1437dd9.jpg

Now the Thorpe & Porter DC stamped copies, they are a different matter and full of exciting things. Who would have thought that they would surpass the actual UKPVs in collector / researcher interest...

The world is truly a strange place, full of amazing and interesting things. Most of which are comic books, or comic book related. :banana:

Edited by rakehell

On 5/11/2022 at 9:51 AM, rakehell said:

I blame Superboy myself. I agree with your lack of enthusiasm and I think it stems from a general lack of interest in those Bronze DC titles. When I were young, I had less than no interest in Teen Titans. Why would I when there were the X-men to collect? I know I'll get some people riled when I say that DC has always seemed waaay too tame to me, especially when I was young and impressionable. Jimmy Olsen? I wanted to kick his arse! The Punisher, though, he was dangerous. And Werewolf by Night? Scary stuff. I love the DC horror stuff & some of the more oddball things like Plop, but I just cannot get a fire lit for the likes of Arak Son of Thunder.

Spot on Tracey. I think a lot of it is due to the relative quiet of the post 1960s UKPV period - I've said it many times before but all the exciting stuff happens in those early years. Apart from the 1971 books, all the other 1978 onwards DCs are a bit lifeless by comparison.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:51 AM, rakehell said:

The world is truly a strange place, full of amazing and interesting things. Most of which are comic books, or comic book related. :banana:

Oh yes... :cloud9:

This made me smile - four consecutive bi-monthly Green lanterns on 30th Century's site this morning, numbered 4, 6, 8 and 1.

Very uniform, and indicative perhaps of an original UK owner collection. Even the stamp placements are consistent:

Capture.thumb.PNG.4e0d394bf252c6c8bcfab7cca0bcfa30.PNG

:cloud9:

On 10/15/2017 at 3:13 PM, David Buck said:

It's not unusual to find Cents copies with T&P stamps on for issues that have Pence versions - I guess they had excess US editions to sell off,

As discussed on the Distribution thread, these might indicate the PV's were imported and distributed on a regular monthly basis and the stamped cents copies were returns from retailers and/or wholesalers which rocked up sporadically in the months afterwards. 

On 11/17/2022 at 7:54 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Are you bored, Rich? You're responding to five year old posts mate. 

No, I was intrigued by something in this thread, so decided to read it all (usually picking up a 5 year old threads is a dauntingly huge read, but thank God, as you say, no one likes DC).  Is it bad manners to respond to a 5 year old post? Is it like quoting someone out of context? 

On 11/17/2022 at 8:50 PM, Malacoda said:

Is it bad manners to respond to a 5 year old post? Is it like quoting someone out of context? 

Only if they can't remember yesterday, let alone what they wrote in 1862.

McAlpine's shirt is eye catching, isn't it. Livened the thread right up.  

On 11/17/2022 at 12:50 PM, Malacoda said:

Is it bad manners to respond to a 5 year old post? Is it like quoting someone out of context? 

Nothing wrong with it at all, although it can be a good idea to say thread necromancy or something similar so people know you’re doing it on purpose.

On 9/21/2018 at 9:02 PM, Redshade said:

This is not a pence variant query per se but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it that would ensure that is was seen by our few UK posters. Why the different T&P price stamps 9d and 10d?  Is this just a case/shipment getting misplaced in the warehouse or were there 2nd printings or something else?  Apologies to Marwood for hijacking his post (I can delete if need be Steve).             

It's a more interesting question relating to Marvel (which went cents + stamp at this point), but I'm sure this was a very sudden price change to reflect an import tax rise.  Obviously, DC comics came over in multiple months because they were returns, so the first issues of this arrived while it was 9d and subsequent issues got smacked with the 10d stamp.   It's possible, given that the tax increase was announced very suddenly, that they're even from opposite ends of the same batch.

The tax went live 11th November, so given that this is an August cd issue, you can see how the first returns that rocked up maybe Sept, def Oct & early Nov, would have been stamped 9d and anything making its weary way back across the US and then migrating to Leicester would be a 10d-er.   

On 11/17/2022 at 3:34 PM, Malacoda said:

Superb. Is that a thing or did you just make that up? 

Threadsurrection was a popular term, or something to that effect, hence the the Necro yadda yadda.

All good 😂