• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

House of Secrets 92 too hot to handle
5 5

287 posts in this topic

Just now, scooter99 said:

Hoarder!  :insane:  I finally picked up my one keeper copy recently.  Should have done it years ago. 

RIGHT! I have loved this book forever, and have always been on the hunt for a raw 9.6. Sadly I could only muster a few solid 9.4's.

1 hour ago, scooter99 said:

Well, at least your kids and wife will be happy.:martini:

I'm afraid the search for a raw 9.6 is probably over, I can't justify paying the kind of money a  high grade HoS 92 commands these days.

Edited by oakman29

On September 14, 2017 at 11:32 PM, scooter99 said:

Actually a month or 2 ago a nice 9.6 went for 15K plus on the Link, IIRC.  The centering was perfect but it had less than W pages,  unlike the Fantucchio copy.  I don't know where the price is.  A beautiful 8.5 goes for $2,900 today, the last GPA for a 9.2 is $3,100.00.  Last GPA for 9.4 is $4.500.00. 

The key for me are nicely centered copies, they will always get top end results  Not plentiful either. 

Well I'm upset.  Not sure if anyone watches ETA Nick on YouTube, I occasionally watch his videos.  He had a first live auction last month and someone snagged a really nice HOS 92 8.5 for $1200.  Seems like a steal.  Wish I was bidding, but had not visited his channel in a while.  :facepalm:

Just my two cents:

It's Wrightson. It was a nearly perfect gothic story that was referenced and expanded on by Alan Moore years later. Louise Simonson, the wife of Walt, is the cover model. The one brushing her hair. IMO, Swamp Thing as a movie could be epic. Too bad it's a DC character as most DC movies suck. With computer graphics as astonishing as they are now, a well directed ST movie could introduce many generations to a character that's the worlds best kept secret. They could use any one of the American Gothic Moore story lines and have an awesome movie. But I fear they won't. I fear they will botch it and I would hate to see that happen to this character. There are so many possibilities.

I can say this: I am never getting rid of this one again. A 9.4 sold on CLINK for $2K recently and the buyer wants $6k for it now. I think a lot of this is speculator bloat. It's always been a desirable book, yes. But, collectors put stupid prices on it and people start buying them up. It isn't a rare book, but finding one with page quality higher that off white is the difficult part. Even the bloated 9.4 has OW pages.

I bought a long box full of HOS's 30 years ago. Probably a run of 40 issues. .......86,87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 93...... ARRGH!

1 minute ago, pickycollector said:

Paid $705 for mine in 2009

Very tight 9.0. Book looks NM/NM+ but was downgraded to a  9.0 because of a store stamp on back cover (do they still downgrade such a defect today?) and very light hint of rust on staples.

59bee894d7404_HOS92CGC9.0.jpg.36b808cc58c6de5fca982bb5fd7a2239.jpg

They probably punched it for the rust more than the store stamp. Nice copy! Do NOT get rid of it!!!

10 hours ago, oakman29 said:

It is a pretty copy, wonder why its only a 7.5

I don't know. I'm sure I will find out. I have bought several Deadman Strange Adventures CGC 7.0 and 7.5's signed by Neal Adams. I swear those should be 9.0's. Good for me I guess, as the prices are right. I did a thing here last year where I posted some books and asked us to guess the grade. Everyone always guessed higher than the CGC grade.

23 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Got this one day before yesterday. $1500.00. The photo isn't grand, but it seems like no major stress lines and/or bent corners. I traded my 9.0 last year. Then, Wrightson died. Having traders regret now.

s-l1600-2.jpg

You paid 1,500 for this copy?  Wow! I haven't been paying attention. You're right about great cover/character. 

Edited by NoMan

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

You paid 1,500 for this copy?  Wow! I haven't been paying attention. You're right about great cover/character. 

I did. I didn't WANT to, though. I think the prices are bloated and owners are getting on the greed train. Since I have a high grade run of ST 1-10, having HOS #92 makes it complete. I really wish I had kept my 9.0, but someone else is either enjoying it or HOSing (See where I went there?) another prospective buyer/collector. As i mentioned before, someone bought a 9.4 recently for $2k and is now asking $6k. That is greed in my book. I offered $3k and was turned down flat.

6 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I did. I didn't WANT to, though. I think the prices are bloated and owners are getting on the greed train. Since I have a high grade run of ST 1-10, having HOS #92 makes it complete. I really wish I had kept my 9.0, but someone else is either enjoying it or HOSing (See where I went there?) another prospective buyer/collector. As i mentioned before, someone bought a 9.4 recently for $2k and is now asking $6k. That is greed in my book. I offered $3k and was turned down flat.

Wow!  I actually made a good purchase finally. After 30 years out of the hobby got back in about a year ago.  Went to Stan lee 2016 comic con in Los Angeles and bought an 8.0 WP for $800.  

Maybe I could flip it now for 7 grand or something. 

Edited by NoMan