• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,080 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2021 at 4:25 PM, Lee B. said:

I think your post is fine in this thread.  It just seems like pricing common sense is sometimes absent with comic art these days, whereas almost 30 years ago, you reduced your price if your art wasn't selling at the initial price.

It all depends on context. If you have ten pieces by artist X, and you expect ten more every month, then you have some incentive to move the old stock at a discount, and use to that sale price to guide the price of the new stock. But if we're talking about 40-50 year old pages that are mostly gone down black holes (or worse, destroyed by the ravages of time), resupply will be harder to come by, so there's less incentive to give on price. Especially if the market is rising substantially more rapidly than inflation.

On 11/18/2021 at 9:43 PM, RBerman said:

It all depends on context. If you have ten pieces by artist X, and you expect ten more every month, then you have some incentive to move the old stock at a discount, and use to that sale price to guide the price of the new stock. But if we're talking about 40-50 year old pages that are mostly gone down black holes (or worse, destroyed by the ravages of time), resupply will be harder to come by, so there's less incentive to give on price. Especially if the market is rising substantially more rapidly than inflation.

But, if you do that the artist gets pissed and finds a new rep, while the discounted sale price prevents the market from moving upward. I have been looking at a few pieces for 6 months which are 40% + over market advertised by other sellers, and I won’t go near them. Any offer is likely to make the seller think I might buy at something close to asking price. Maybe next year after they have been softened up a lot: they aren’t going anywhere.

On 11/30/2021 at 11:10 PM, Hockeyflow33 said:

Always annoying when a piece you were outbid on pops up back for sale so soon 

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 11.09.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 11.09.43 PM.png

Conversely, gives you another shot at an item that you didn't bid enough on. If you really want it, you have another shot which doesn't usually happen. 

On 12/1/2021 at 7:21 AM, JadeGiant said:

Conversely, gives you another shot at an item that you didn't bid enough on. If you really want it, you have another shot which doesn't usually happen. 

That’s such a razor thin profit margin. Seems like a lot of work for no real gain.

im not an OA guy, but I like this piece

On 12/1/2021 at 8:21 AM, JadeGiant said:

I hang out with the low-class buyers so it's out of my range already haha 

On 12/20/2021 at 8:03 AM, lobrac said:

Or "Best Offer", suggesting the owner will consider taking less for it. After shipping and sales tax (if he lives in a state with sales tax) from Heritage, minus eBay and PayPal fees... this is a mighty thin flip.

On 12/21/2021 at 6:58 AM, Mighty Hal said:

Or "Best Offer", suggesting the owner will consider takng less for it. After shipping and sales tax (if he lives in a state with sales tax) from Heritage, minus eBay and PayPal fees... this is a mighty thin flip.

Seems more like a Buyer's Remourse sale. 

On 12/21/2021 at 8:19 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Seems more like a Buyer's Remourse sale. 

Seller's other items indicate an aviation buff who resells at the higher end of market, and has added that piece to his "store" without expectation of an immediate turnover.  I have that "Mosquito Squadron" movie poster, and haven't noticed a big uptick in the market pricing for it to where his ask is.  Seller has sold some movie posters and aviation illos recently.  Flip? No, IMO.  Just having fun repurposing some hobby money.  David (having fun searching on the internet)

Original Frank Miller and Joe Rubinstein - Captain America Post Card | Lot #97315 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com) $3,600

Today's ask CAPTAIN AMERICA - MARVEL POST CARD ART by Frank Miller (panelpageart.com) $6,500

80% price appreciation in 4 months. Nice.

BTW hate to even give him any attention, but felt this was appropriate after seeing his back and forth with Mitch on the marketplace thread.

Edited by Race