• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

On 10/15/2021 at 4:30 PM, BVladimirHarkonnen said:

It's hurting him to even let it go at that price. 

damn...was watching that one too. I didn't think even at the realized price that the margin would work for me... so I passed but it was close. 

On 10/15/2021 at 1:15 PM, glendgold said:

$150,000 + $50 shipping :roflmao:

original shipping $6 :signfunny:

On 10/15/2021 at 1:15 PM, glendgold said:

I mean it's a bit risky but I believe you don't get your eBay fees back if an item is returned (much like what paypal started doing). If so, one could certainly be malicious here. 

On 10/16/2021 at 9:56 PM, cstojano said:

I mean it's a bit risky but I believe you don't get your eBay fees back if an item is returned (much like what paypal started doing). If so, one could certainly be malicious here. 

Zero risk.

Worst case you just need a letter from Mitch, Albert or Anthony (the other names you might consider: I won't do business with ;) ) stating: NO DITKO and it's a lock.

And the PP fee on $150k...that would "fix" this problem forever I think ;)

image.png.79c01ec4096a129c55c28e875470bd3b.png

On 10/17/2021 at 12:28 PM, cstojano said:

750 max eBay fee? Did not know it capped out though it looks like this isn't updated for managed payments. Paypal is out, now eBay takes their 12.xx% directly. 

What's the eBay policy for fees on forced returns? (After all, it's a 'no returns' listing.)

On 10/17/2021 at 9:37 AM, vodou said:

What's the eBay policy for fees on forced returns? (After all, it's a 'no returns' listing.)

Unclear, your question assumes eBay is interested in cost transparency, which they are not. When they switched me to managed payments this year (not an option, required) they delayed charging my final fees owed from their old system and then proceeded to charge me a late fee. And of course, they took it right from my newly linked bank account (required) without any warning. 

On 10/17/2021 at 8:50 AM, vodou said:

Zero risk.

Worst case you just need a letter from Mitch, Albert or Anthony (the other names you might consider: I won't do business with ;) ) stating: NO DITKO and it's a lock.

And the PP fee on $150k...that would "fix" this problem forever I think ;)

image.png.79c01ec4096a129c55c28e875470bd3b.png

I ran this through another calculator and the fee shows as 18831.58

My bolds... Unless eBay has to step in, the seller's final value fee is credited for a fully refunded item for managed payments sellers. 

Such a move as is suggested on a buyer's part could involve them in a further dispute upon the return, if the seller claims fraud or damage with only partial refund remedy, upon inspection of the returned item.  So, yes, risk.  David

For managed payments sellers

In these situations:

Fees credited:

• Final value fee (variable component only. The $0.30 per order fixed amount will not be credited)
  • Promoted listings fee
  • Any applicable additional final value fees for not meeting performance expectations
  • International fee (if applicable)

On 10/17/2021 at 10:23 AM, aokartman said:

My bolds... Unless eBay has to step in, the seller's final value fee is credited for a fully refunded item for managed payments sellers. 

Such a move as is suggested on a buyer's part could involve them in a further dispute upon the return, if the seller claims fraud or damage with only partial refund remedy, upon inspection of the returned item.  So, yes, risk.  David

For managed payments sellers

In these situations:

Fees credited:

• Final value fee (variable component only. The $0.30 per order fixed amount will not be credited)
  • Promoted listings fee
  • Any applicable additional final value fees for not meeting performance expectations
  • International fee (if applicable)

thanks for this, confirms a lingering question I have had

On 10/17/2021 at 1:23 PM, aokartman said:

Such a move as is suggested on a buyer's part could involve them in a further dispute upon the return, if the seller claims fraud or damage with only partial refund remedy, upon inspection of the returned item.  So, yes, risk.

Your standard sociopath will never admit wrong or willingly accept the consequences of their own actions. What's a sociopath? Well, I'll suggest it's someone that would list such an item in such a manner to begin. And with that out of the way...

1. No returns on the listing. No problem. You wouldn't really want that anyway, you'd want to force the return as "not as described" and open a case for that.

2. At this point the seller either bites and the return is processed, typically this is if you're not dealing with a sociopath but rather an ignorant seller (of the item they are selling). So N/A here.

3. The seller will force the issue to be escalated to eBay, at which point the fees are non-refundable to seller and the buyer will be made whole in all cases. Even if there is damage to the return (it's true, been there as a seller, but not as a sociopath ;) ).

So...

So, yes, risk.

No.

One does wonder where the parameters of "not as described" begin and end. I am looking at a listing right now that is a bit of a risk, either the seller doesn't know what he says or is selling a partial copy. The seller claims no real knowledge of the item, which in this case I do believe, and as such presents so little in the listing there is almost nothing described to begin with. 

On 10/17/2021 at 3:40 PM, cstojano said:

One does wonder where the parameters of "not as described" begin and end.

It begins with being at least partially correct, with errors, and ends with: not even in the same universe.

Adding "Ditko" doesn't negate the rest (such as "Zeck"), it's not a fake altogether, thus: not as described.

Most of the other stuff Glen brings up, typically Kirby stuff is fake. That's different and not "not as described".

Back to this:

So, yes, risk.

To be clear, on this item, No Ditko = No risk ;) 

Ol' Theo is tempting anyone with $150k to put up for a week or so for kicks to cost him thousands and teach him a lesson :) 

On 10/17/2021 at 11:40 PM, vodou said:

Ol' Theo is tempting anyone with $150k to put up for a week or so for kicks to cost him thousands and teach him a lesson :) 

I don't know what is currently the most ridiculous coming from him : this or the bad photo-novel he is doing with JR SR's picture (and bad paste-up) on the Spectacular SM 259 page...

Edited by Ecclectica

On 10/18/2021 at 6:16 PM, RBerman said:

Was Ditko even working at Marvel in 1978? Looks like he was at DC doing Creeper stories for the dollar version of World's Finest for publication in late 1978.

I don't think Ditko did anything new for Marvel between drawing Doctor Strange in Strange Tales #146 (cover dated July 1966) and the cover for Marvel Triple Action #47 (cover dated April 1979). In addition to the Creeper, Ditko was still plotting and drawing Shade the Changing Man for DC when Zeck's page was published.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:41 AM, Chaykin Stevens said:

I don't think Ditko did anything new for Marvel between drawing Doctor Strange in Strange Tales #146 (cover dated July 1966) and the cover for Marvel Triple Action #47 (cover dated April 1979). In addition to the Creeper, Ditko was still plotting and drawing Shade the Changing Man for DC when Zeck's page was published.

Nice catch with MTA 47 - I didn't know about that cover. He did some Machine Man stuff after that, and that bizarre Captain Universe book, but nothing before that cover you mentioned. Also I kinda think he didn't work with Zeck, right? He did pair with some interesting inkers, like Craig Russell on Rom.

On 10/18/2021 at 8:42 PM, glendgold said:

Nice catch with MTA 47 - I didn't know about that cover. He did some Machine Man stuff after that, and that bizarre Captain Universe book, but nothing before that cover you mentioned. Also I kinda think he didn't work with Zeck, right? He did pair with some interesting inkers, like Craig Russell on Rom.

Zeck and Ditko may have passed by other in the Marvel Bullpen, but that's as close as they ever came to working together. Yes, Ditko penciled several issues of ROM. He also did some work on a Micronauts Annual. And don't forget Ditko's work on the interiors of Chuck Norris and the Karate Kommandos series!!! Oh, he also did a Godzilla inventory story but Marvel lost the license to the character, so the story was changed to a "different" 50-foot tall monster called "The Wani" who battled Tako Shamara AKA The Dragon Lord in MARVEL SPOTLIGHT #5 (vol. 2). That issue had a Frank Miller cover. #classic

Edited by lobrac
typo