• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2023 at 8:29 AM, vodou said:

Nice win 

Devin dougherty

You should just keep it. Too nice to flip.

Agreed. Can't even acknowledge this as a flip it meets the technical terms but it feels more like an an auction undersell. It's really beautiful art.

On 5/4/2023 at 9:09 AM, KirbyCollector said:

71% markup after 5 months... look, someone has to pay for Albert to go to Lake Como and mingle with George Clooney next weekend

Does Clooney collect comic art? Kinda cool if true 

Spider-Man #7 has been a pretty hyped comic recently due to Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos creating a new Spider-Boy character. 

The issue never made it to public sale. Originally when I had inquired, Spencer Beck, Mark Bagley’s rep told me the issue would be $20-25k then $30k in a subsequent email. I received another email that said it sold as a complete issue a few weeks ago due to an offer he said he couldn’t refuse. 

Fast forward 25 days, and the the issue is now being pieced out via a live YouTube sale on Friday. 

Because this happened on another piece in which I was interested by the same owner, I am curious if this sale goes through since the last time this occurred, the art went unsold because of the asking price. Is this a game changing sale or a YouTube subscriber building move? Tune in Friday to find out. :)

For reference, here was the first time:
https://comicbook.com/comics/amp/news/fat-jacks-comicrypt-online-sales-black-panther-shuri-art/

Here is the second time:
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/black-panther-original-artwork-of-shuris-first-appearance-at-auction/

IMG_2189.thumb.png.4cb2a25cd7f5bc184c9a7f63ce364886.png

Edited by Xatari

On 5/10/2023 at 12:06 AM, Xatari said:

Spider-Man #7 has been a pretty hyped comic recently due to Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos creating a new Spider-Boy character. 

The issue never made it to public sale. Originally when I had inquired, Spencer Beck, Mark Bagley’s rep told me the issue would be $20-25k then $30k in a subsequent email. I received another email that said it sold as a complete issue a few weeks ago due to an offer he said he couldn’t refuse. 

Fast forward 25 days, and the the issue is now being pieced out via a live YouTube sale on Friday. 

Because this happened on another piece in which I was interested by the same owner, I am curious if this sale goes through since the last time this occurred, the art went unsold because of the asking price. Is this a game changing sale or a YouTube subscriber building move? Tune in Friday to find out. :)

For reference, here was the first time:
https://comicbook.com/comics/amp/news/fat-jacks-comicrypt-online-sales-black-panther-shuri-art/

Here is the second time:
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/black-panther-original-artwork-of-shuris-first-appearance-at-auction/

IMG_2189.thumb.png.4cb2a25cd7f5bc184c9a7f63ce364886.png

Barrucci? He has been collecting oa long before us… and buying from Spencer just as long so always gets the inside track. 

For sure. That definitely happens and rightly so. Relationships make the world go round. I just hope the Friday event is a legitimate sale and not a platform to hype without intent to truly sell. I sat through the last two Shuri sales and waited until the end only to watch the pieces go unsold because of the price. It felt like a bait and switch. 

Edited by Xatari

I don't attend enough of these events, but what's the difference between a dealer posting a high price and the piece sitting for a while, and something not selling on a show because it's priced too high?  Where is the bait and switch?   Is Nick's show an auction show with no reserve?  Sorry for the question if it's obvious.

Edited by rsonenthal
typo

If Spencer was selling that entire issue for 30k? then I've would've paused and maybe thrown an offer....lol.

The seller will easily get his money back (well, depending what he paid for). There's just too many Spider-Man collectors out there. 

Not sure how I feel about Spider-Boy being as popular as Miles. The majority of collectors I know feel this is just a quick flip as opposed to enjoying the character itself. Not too many are happy with how the costume looks. 

Edited by AlexG_art

On 5/10/2023 at 10:31 AM, AlexG_art said:

Not sure how I feel about Spider-Boy being as popular as Miles.

Can we have some new characters and new stories please? Why does legacy media insist on squeezing every last drop of blood out of its core IP? It's not drawing in my two teens or any of their friends... I struggle to understand how this strategy by both Disney and Warner Bros builds out a new core comics audience or even retains the existing audience.

On 5/10/2023 at 12:44 AM, Xatari said:

For sure. That definitely happens and rightly so. Relationships make the world go round. I just hope the Friday event is a legitimate sale and not a platform to hype without intent to truly sell. I sat through the last two Shuri sales and waited until the end only to watch the pieces go unsold because of the price. It felt like a bait and switch. 

Nick did a similar type of sale a few weeks ago where he was selling all the pages + cover from one of the recent ASM books by JRJR (Nick himself only wanted one splash page but Spencer was only selling the book as a whole. Nick even offered the splash page he wanted since he promised he would have the whole issue for sale), lots of pages sold then. Feels really unfair to throw around these accusations over a personal bad experience/sour grapes :\ especially when it seems you haven't really followed any of Nick's shows since 2020

Edited by JC25427N

On 5/10/2023 at 12:40 PM, Xatari said:

No accusation made. Shared my personal experience and hope for a different one this time. 

Whatever word you think is more appropriate then, regardless, the connotations you gave off that Nick might just be hype mongering without any intent of selling pages feels unwarranted