• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOHN WICK: THE CONTINENTAL TV Show (TBD)
1 1

51 posts in this topic

JOHN WICK: THE CONTINENTAL TV Show (TBD)

Chad Stahelski spills a few details about the John Wick TV series

john-wick-chapter-two-tv-details.jpg

Prior to the release of JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2, director Chad Stahelski and writer Derek Kolstad teased a possible prequel TV series which would explore the origins of John Wick (Keanu Reeves). That project is now in development at Lionsgate and Chad Stahelski spilled a few details to IndieWire about the series, which is apparently going by the title The Continental.

"They’ve got a really good structure. It’s very tied to the film [in that] it’s about the Continentals all over the world, how certain people come into that world, and what happens in relation to those people, which is cool. I think the world is very vast, and everything I’ve heard from it is very positive. […] It’s something that studio seems very, very intent on [making] and very, very behind. I like telling stories from my one character’s perspective. Once you put that aside with the TV show, [you can] expand to all the different characters and follow them throughout their journey. You can be with the consigliere, concierge, the sommelier — you can be with all these different characters and walk through the world in different aspects; ones that I’m a little limited [from exploring] by staying with my lead guy."

Although the series won't be focused on John Wick, Chad Stahelski says that there are tentative plans for Keanu Reeves to make an appearance. As for Stahelski himself, he says that he'd "like to stay involved throughout the development stage and hopefully direct a couple of episodes." It wouldn't be JOHN WICK without some incredible action, and Stahelski seems confident that they'll be able to deliver something impressive even on a television budget, pointing to Game of Thrones as an inspiration.

"Look at ‘Battle of the Bastards.' As an action designer, I think that’s the best battle I’ve ever seen on TV. They did a great job, and they weren’t careless with their money. They planned it, they boarded it — you watch the behind-the-scenes, [it’s clear] the guys did everything right. Granted, they’re the biggest budgeted show on TV right now, but could we do something interesting with ‘John Wick’ with what we have? Yeah. I’d like to give it a go and prove to the TV world that you can have feature action on a TV show. It would be a nice little feather in my cap, sure."

Edited by Bosco685

This could work.

I actually really liked what they did with Limitless - the TV series. And Bradley Cooper made enough appearances reprising his character from the film - esp. in a key arc - that it didn't feel like a cheap knock-off.

THE CONTINENTAL: Starz Confirms Development On JOHN WICK Television Series

The new show, titled The Continental, will be set in the John Wick universe and will take place in a hyper-real version of Los Angeles. The story itself will focus on the inner workings of the Continental Hotel, which functions as a neutral territory for hired assassins. As a spinoff, Starz promises the series will maintain the same fast-paced action and dry humor from the first two John Wick movies.

According to Starz CEO Chris Albrecht, "The show and the movies exist side by side." At this point, it's unclear what role Keanu Reeves will have in the show - if any. "The show is not designed to have him in the lead [but] we're very excited for it," Albrecht added.

Carmi Zlotnik, president of programming for Starz, added, however, that "You can expect to see [Keanu Reeves] at some point in the series. That is part of the ongoing discussion."

Chris Collins will serve as showrunner and pen the series. Chad Stahelski, John Wick co-director and John Wick: Chapter 2 director, will helm the premiere episode.

EVERYTHING WE KNOW ABOUT JOHN WICK TV SERIES THE CONTINENTAL

The new series is called The Continental, after the hotel for assassins featured in the films. Rules at The Continental stipulate that no “work” can be done on Continental grounds (no killing!). John Wick (Reeves) broke that rule in John Wick: Chapter 2 by killing the man who forced him back into the life. John Wick: Chapter 3 will see Wick on the run and New York Continental manager Winston (Ian McShane) facing repercussions for letting him go.

All that is going on in parallel to the proposed Continental TV series. To find out more about the upcoming project, Rotten Tomatoes spoke with Stahelski about his plans for the series.

THEY’LL BEGIN FILMING THIS YEAR.

Carmi Zlotnick, president of programming for Starz, told Rotten Tomatoes last summer that he’s seen a -script for the first episode as well as a bible, which is industry lingo for the rules of the show that will guide the series.

“I’d like to be in production sometime in 2019,” Zlotnick confirmed at the time.

YOU’VE NEVER MET THIS CONTINENTAL GUEST BEFORE.

The John Wick films are full of colorful assassins who check in and out of The Continental, and Zlotnick said last year that the star of The Continental will be someone we’ve never met before in the films. Stahelski confirmed that “several” characters from the movie would feature in the series, but would not say whom. “There’s a whole new cast coming aboard for that and that hasn’t been seen before,” Stahelski said. Previously, Zlotnick had said The Continental will be the origin story of how this guest becomes an assassin.

THE CONTINENTAL RETAINS THE JOHN WICK CREATIVE TEAM.

Chris Collins will write and run The Continental series for Starz, but he is backed up by executive producers from the John Wick films. The films’ producer Basil Iwanyk, director Stahelski, screenwriter Derek Kolstad, co-director Leitch, and Reeves are all executive producers.

THE FIRST SEASON WILL BE EIGHT EPISODES.

Zlotnick had said that he he prefers eight episodes in a first season of a series.

“Usually trying to do more can be a bridge too far,” he told /Film.

John Wick: Chapter 2 was the first entry in the franchise that Chad Stahelski directed. His background in doing stunts in Hollywood really paid off. It sounds like Stahelski is sticking around though. In an interview with EW, he talks about potential sequels, and world-expansion on TV.

Chapter 3 did what Chapter 2 did, only better: It expanded the mythology of the world. There are many aspects and characters that have spinoff potential (like Halle Berry’s character in Chapter 3). But before that happens, we will see a TV show called The Continental on Starz. Both Stahelski and Reeves serve as Executive Producers on that show. Stahelski also offered an update:

“They have a writers’ room working on it right now, trying to develop the first season. Keanu and I have sat with that creative element, and laid out what we feel makes John Wick special, and what would make the TV show unique. Now, it will be a round of back and forths. But, yeah, Lionsgate is in actual full development of it and it’s called The Continental. It should be fun.”

The Continental is the hotel that the assassins can find sanctuary at. There are many all over the world, so the storytelling potential is rich. Depending on how they structure it, it could even open up potential cameos from characters from the movies.

Before long, John Wick fans will be treated to a spin-off series on Starz called The Continental and if one John Wick star gets their wishes, a familiar face will end up appearing in the series. Ahead of the home media release of John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum next week, we spoke with John Wick 3 star Mark Dacascos, who tells us there's been some talks about joining the prequel series.

"I'm in close contact with Chad [Stahelski] and there's been nothing formal regarding the series, but I'm hoping that will change," the martial artist confirms with us.

Despite seemingly being killed off in the final fight sequence to the latest John Wick entry, Dacascos swears his character Zero could have lived through it. According to the actor, he thinks his character would have been able to use his martial arts training and herbal remedies to make it out of the injury.

"In terms of Zero's supposed demise, I think that with Zero's training, being able to slow down his heart rate, stop his pulse or slow down his pulse and with the Chinese and Japanese herbal medicines and all that, I think it's quite possible that Zero caught his breath," Dacascos admits. "That's what I think. Because I think when Zero says, 'Just let me catch my breath,' I don't think that's meant as a funny."

I'm pretty Wicked out.  The last movie was a dud.  It gets tiring a world where everyone is a hitman and everything costs one gold coin.  Body removal-one gold coin.  Gun-one gold coin.  Babysitting-one gold coin.  Drink at a bar-one gold coin.  I suggest this is economically impossible.  Adjudicator shows up and no one just kills her.  Why I dont know.  If you've already been sentenced to death what does it matter if you wax an adjudicator?  Plus someone should tell her um why are you losing your **** over de antonio being killed when he had his sister killed and she was on the council too.  wth.  

The Continental was greenlit by Starz back in 2018 with John Wick's Chad Stahelski set to direct the first episode. There hasn't been much movement on the series since then, though. There was some hope that the series could debut at some point in 2021, but that could be tough at this stage. Stahelski did reveal last year that the show will tell the origin stories of characters from the John Wick films, while actors from the movies like Ian McShane and Lance Reddick expressed interest in appearing. Now, there are finally some story details on The Continental that confirm a very different direction for the series.

During a recent interview with Deadline, Lionsgate TV chairman Kevin Beggs revealed new details about The Continental. He shared that the series is set during the 1970s in New York and shows the rise of Ian McShane's Winston and others in a tumultuous period of time. The origin story for Winston and his "team of confederates" will explore becoming part of The Continental 40 years before the events of the John Wick films. Ian McShane won't physically appear in the series despite Winston's role, but it is possible he could do voice-over work on The Continental.

These details point to a different story for The Continental than most were expecting based on early descriptions of the show. This could make it more of a mafia-style show that focuses on the behind-the-scenes aspects of John Wick's assassin world. It also guarantees that Keanu Reeves won't appear. Thanks to the 1970s setting, John Wick would just be a kid at this time, so there is no reason for him to be involved in the story. In fact, it essentially guarantees that no actors from the movies will be featured in The Continental. Having McShane, Reddick, or Reeves appear would give the series much more notoriety, but now the series has to start from scratch with its cast.

Not a fan of Wick.  The first movie was good, even tho absurd-super bad a** but 3 numbskulls break in his home, beat tar out of him and kill dog.  Sure.
A world  where everyone is a hit man, and everything costs one gold coin.  Gun-gold coin.  Body removal-gold coin.  Babysitting-gold coin.  Drink at bar-gold coin.  Cup of coffee-gold coin.
Yeah no.
Why he got in trouble for killing dan antonio when the dude had his sister killed and she was actually on the high table-no clue.

The Continental is officially open for business. Lionsgate's John Wick television spin-off has landed Albert Hughes as its director, a filmmaker that will take the reins of two of the limited event series' three episodes. The Starz show was previously pitched as a regular limited series but the premium cable network has now shifted focus and reimagined it as a three-episode event series, with each episode being treated like a movie.

Hughes' biggest film yet is The Book of Eli, the Denzel Washington post-apocalyptic thriller he directed with his brother Allen. Most recently, Hughes directed the Ethan Hawke-staring The Good Lord Bird.

Prior to its shift in format, Wick helmer Chad Stahelski was expected to direct the show's pilot episode, though those plans have now changed, according to the initial report from THR. Though he won't be sitting in the director's chair, Stahelski will executive producer with Wick creator Derek Kolstad and Thunder Road's Basil Iwanyk.

The Continental will be set during the 1970s and feature Winston's rise to power building the titular hotel for hitmen. Winston, of course, is the character played in the present-day movies by Ian McShane. McShane recently closed a deal to appear in John Wick: Chapter 4.