• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden-Age Variants
3 3

112 posts in this topic

Golden-Age Variants

So some of this was brought up in the Marvel Comics #1 thread but I'm hoping to get some decent participation of known books that fit here without any of the debate (unless strong evidence is provided) as to what is a first or second print, etc. 

The purpose is to get some kind of decent listings of GA variants for reference reasons. I've already broken the rules by including a couple of Marvels from 1962 so feel free to list some post code books to if you feel they fit. Do not post anything that goes beyond say 1963 please. You can post any variation of a book from its date being different to known colouring errors, etc. that you feel are notable.

I also know there are a number of 15 cent Canadian variants so maybe we could list those separately.

Again the purpose is for reference for anyone interested in known GA variants. Hopefully someone besides me and my starting list will participate. :foryou:

Action Comics #32 (2 versions. One with "15 cents in Canada" below price, one with blank box below price)

Action Comics #62 (2 versions, variant has more blood on soldier and no red circles on Zero)

Algie #1 (2 versions, variant with Dark Mysteries contents)

Batman #1 (2 versions, with and without dot on No. 1, unknown which came first?)

Batman #2 (3 versions? regular with D.C. Logo, variant without D.C. Logo (exist?) and 15-cent edition which may be Canadian edition)

Blazing Comics #5 (9 versions, regular edition plus copies with leftover covers bound to coverless comics including Adventure #193, Danger #12, Detective #168, Detective #175, Detective #202, Our Army at War #3, Sensation #45, Web of Evil #2)

Boys Ranch #6 (2 versions. Penrod variant)

Crime Suspenstories #1 (2 versions, some copies show #15 in indicia making them first run)

Eerie #1 1951 series (2 versions, woman's dress coloured darker on some comics)

Great Comics #1 (4 versions, Barrel O'Fun, Jubilee, Knockout and Novack)

Green Lama #6 (2 versions, one with black ribbon overstamp)

Impact #1 (2 versions, White and Yellow logos exist)

Is This Tomorrow?

Journey into Mystery #76 (2 versions, 12 cent price and black circle version)

Love Romances #97 (2 versions, 12 cent price and black circle version)

Marvel Comics #1 (2 versions, Oct. date and Nov. with black circle overstamp)

Mystic Comics #4( 2 versions, August printed in silver in one version and hard black on another)

New York World's Fair 1939 (regular 25-cent edition and variant with 15-cent price stickers placed over 25-cent pricing. At least 4 different variations exist of the 15-cent sticker)

Oscar #3 (2 versions, one with obscured date and one without)

Patsy Walker #2 (2 versions, black and red logos)

Police Comics #63 (2 versions, some copies have #65 printed on cover)

Red Circle Comics #4 (13 versions? Leftover covers to #4 were stapled to coverless 1950's comics including Batman #61, Claire Voyent #1, Crime Does not Pay, Diary Loves, Dorothy Lamour, GI Joe #51, Love Confessions, Love Letters #21, Sabu, Superman #110, Woman Outlaws, Young Love, Venus #1) *Note* Dorothy Lamour and Sabu only exist with the RCC #4 covers**

Startling Terror Tales #11 (2 versions, blue and black logo outline)

Strange Fantasy #9 (4 versions, regular edition and  "Black Cat", "Boys Ranch" and "War" interior  variants)

Superman #1 (2 versions but 3 known printings, ad with "on sale in June" and ad with "Now on sale", unknown if first version can or is completely identified as first run yet)

Superman #27 (2 versions. Regular and Overseas Service Edition)

Superman #75 (2 versions. Variant misnumbered #74 on cover)

Tomb of Terror #13 (2 versions, logo variant)

True Crime Comics #2 (blocked out date variant?)

Walt Disney Comics & Stories #4 (2 versions. Regular and complimentary copy)

World's Finest #96 (2 versions. Sept. and Oct. dates exist)

D.C. 15-Cent Canadian Variants: (known)

Action Comics #28

Batman #2

Detective Comics #43,47

More Fun #59

Special Edition U.S. Navy Giveaways (1944)

#1 Action Comics #80

#2 Action Comics #81

#3 Superman #33

#4 Detective Comics #97

#5 Superman #34

#6 Action Comics #84

Edited by N e r V

9 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Popular Teenagers #6 (2 versions, crazy colouring error with pink gorilla cover and regular edition)

That would typically be categorized as a printing error, of which there are countless (extra pages, different interior, missing colors, shifted color plates etc.)

50 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I thought the pink Popular Teenagers was the Accepted Comics reprint version. Are there those with the same coloring as the Star edition?

You are correct. I removed it.

There was a Strange Fantasy #9 in the Berk auction I was watching labeled as a "Black Cat" variant. It sold for $255 I believe. The description said it contained Black Cat stories. The only reason I decided not to grab it was that I wasn't sure if it was just a printing error/wrong interior case instead of a true variant.

1 minute ago, Jayman said:

There was a Strange Fantasy #9 in the Berk auction I was watching labeled as a "Black Cat" variant. It sold for $255 I believe. The description said it contained Black Cat stories. The only reason I decided not to grab it was that I wasn't sure if it was just a printing error/wrong interior case instead of a true variant.

I think that would be a bindery error. It happened once in a while, though usually the same publisher. I've seen it as late as the Bronze Age.  However since many publishers used the same printer, it's possible to have one publishers cover and another's content.  

6 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I think that would be a bindery error. It happened once in a while, though usually the same publisher. I've seen it as late as the Bronze Age.  However since many publishers used the same printer, it's possible to have one publishers cover and another's content.  

Yeah, that was my thinking also hence why I didn't bid on it. It was slabbed with the notation on the label as a Black Cat variant though...hm

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

50 minutes ago, rjpb said:

41 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Yeah, that was my thinking also hence why I didn't bid on it. It was slabbed with the notation on the label as a Black Cat variant though...hm

I forgot about that one too. That's why I need you guys for this list.

That one is a legit variant. Overstreet lists it as such, CGC, and many dealers. There are 3 additional versions (or a total of 4). Black Cat, Boys Ranch and War interiors vs original.

I'm adding it.

Edited by N e r V

Someone posted a while back about Eerie #1 (1951 series) from Avon having the woman's dress being redrawn as not to show the breasts. The 2 versions were posted side by side for comparison and you could clearly see the difference. The thread was before the boards new format so not sure if it can still be accessed.

47 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Yeah I remember that thread. It was back in 2004. I found it but the scans don't exist for it anymore. :cry:

Hey never heard of this my copy and the scan at GCD look the same love to see what the variant looks like.

eerie 1 001.jpg

eerie  british1 001.jpg

Edited by Hap Hazard

Action Comics #62 has two versions, one version with more spots/larger spots of blood on the soldier's bandages and the more common version with smaller, fewer blood spots. It does look to have been a plate alteration during printing, as opposed to the magenta ink running low or anything like that.

21 minutes ago, Hap Hazard said:

Hey never heard of this my copy and the scan at GCD look the same love to see what the variant looks like.

The change was just to make the dress more opaque as to cover any details of the woman's breasts as far as I remember.