• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden-Age Variants
3 3

112 posts in this topic

What's the opinion on the EC Annuals? From my understanding they have various different stories bound into them. Are any two alike? Would they be considered variants in some way?

9 minutes ago, Hap Hazard said:

12 minutes ago, Jayman said:

The change was just to make the dress more opaque as to cover any details of the woman's breasts as far as I remember.

So not a art work change just coloring/shading?

I do believe the line work was also altered for less cleavage. In any case the line work was removed that showed the breasts. The original pics would certainly help. @Jeffreykli might have the pics still...

Edited by Jayman

Maybe this is low hanging fruit, and I'll admit I'm no variant hunter, but couldn't you consider the Phantom Lady 17 pink pages copies a variant? (honestly I don't know but the pink page copies may be more common than the regular ones, so which is the variant).   I think there's a few pink page All-Tops I've seen before.  Maybe it's not the sort of variance the variant hunters go for, but I'd personally pay a tiny bit more for the pink page copies because I find the history of Fox using cheap construction paper kinda funny.  Or are there just so many more odd-ball issues from Fox and other publishers using different paper stocks that its not even worth noting the differences? Curious to know.

3 hours ago, Jayman said:

What's the opinion on the EC Annuals? From my understanding they have various different stories bound into them. Are any two alike? Would they be considered variants in some way?

Varying content in rebound giants is pretty common, but technically they would all be variants of a sort.

Another one you might consider borderline:  Red Circle Comics #4.  The cover for #4 was used on rebound comics, but there are at least two versions where the contents were never actually published on their own; one with an issue of Dorothy Lamour and another with Sabu, the Elephant Boy.  The Sabu version has what is either an overprint or a stamp... I can't tell from the scans I've seen... identifying it; the Dorothy Lamour doesn't.

I actually have a copy of the Dorothy Lamour version somewhere; I don't think you're actually looking for the rebound issue versions but the two with new contents probably count.

Impact 1 has a white logo version and a yellow logo version.  Change due to poor interior printing quality of initial white logo version, Gaines changed printers and used yellow logo.  The biggest change is on Krigstein's Master Race which is nearly unreadable in some white logo copies.

12 hours ago, Jayman said:

I do believe the line work was also altered for less cleavage. In any case the line work was removed that showed the breasts. The original pics would certainly help. @Jeffreykli might have the pics still...

Wow, that's an old post. Maybe one of my first ones on the Boards!

I couldn't find the old scan, but I still have the book. Here's a fresh scan of the front cover. I don't recall discussing changes to the artwork, although I think the reprint of the cover for the recent hardcover collected edition has darker coloring on the dress so that the breasts don't show.

Eerie1.jpg

Detective 43 has a 15 cent version.

Detective 47 has 2 versions.  One version has just the 10 cent price and the other has both the 10 cents and 15 cents in Canada directly underneath it.

Edited by pemart1966

57 minutes ago, Jeffreykli said:

Wow, that's an old post. Maybe one of my first ones on the Boards!

I couldn't find the old scan, but I still have the book. Here's a fresh scan of the front cover. I don't recall discussing changes to the artwork, although I think the reprint of the cover for the recent hardcover collected edition has darker coloring on the dress so that the breasts don't show.

Eerie1.jpg

Hey thanks for the reply! Now that I re read that old post, I'm thinking Nerv linked to the wrong one. The one I was referring to wasn't that old and was discussing the variations on the two covers. As I said earlier, might have been lost with the board format changeover. Glad to see it's not slabbed! (thumbsu

I had a early dc years ago that had the add page saying don't miss  Detective 1 Dec 1936 date on the cover .I will look for the scan it was on my old xp pc. I found a pic but not the one I had on my old pc. I know someone has to have a better one :wishluck: ( just in case some don't know Tec 1 has a March 1937 date on the cover )

DetectiveComics_adv.png

Edited by woowoo

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Another one you might consider borderline:  Red Circle Comics #4.  The cover for #4 was used on rebound comics, but there are at least two versions where the contents were never actually published on their own; one with an issue of Dorothy Lamour and another with Sabu, the Elephant Boy.  The Sabu version has what is either an overprint or a stamp... I can't tell from the scans I've seen... identifying it; the Dorothy Lamour doesn't.

I actually have a copy of the Dorothy Lamour version somewhere; I don't think you're actually looking for the rebound issue versions but the two with new contents probably count.

Yes, I was aware of those too. There's at least a dozen of these including a Venus #1 but for someone looking for a certain issue they may be of interest as a variant of sorts although maybe not in the truest sense. Still probably good to note.

Thanks guys . Some of those I had, some I added, and some I tried to add more information to. Thank you all for your input so far.

I did include titles like Red Circle #4 and Blazing #5 because even though they were extra covers rebound to coverless comics at the time so maybe not variants in the strictest sense you have books in there like Detective #168 and Venus #1 that a lot of collectors of the originals might be interested in (I was).

As to the DC 15-cent books I did list Batman #2 up there but I seem to remember the story was DC had about 4 months where they were releasing 15-cent Canadian versions of their comics. Someone already referred me to Comic Book Marketplace #48 on the subject. Those deserve a listing too but I'm going to try and separate them on their own at some point.

Again thanks for increasing my list. (thumbsu

11 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Thanks guys . Some of those I had, some I added, and some I tried to add more information to. Thank you all for your input so far.

I did include titles like Red Circle #4 and Blazing #5 because even though they were extra covers rebound to coverless comics at the time so maybe not variants in the strictest sense you have books in there like Detective #168 and Venus #1 that a lot of collectors of the originals might be interested in (I was).

As to the DC 15-cent books I did list Batman #2 up there but I seem to remember the story was DC had about 4 months where they were releasing 15-cent Canadian versions of their comics. Someone already referred me to Comic Book Marketplace #48 on the subject. Those deserve a listing too but I'm going to try and separate them on their own at some point.

Again thanks for increasing my list. (thumbsu

The point I was trying to make on the Red Circle is there are at least two distinct sets of contents- Sabu and Dorothy Lamour- that are not rebound, in that nobody has ever found a copy of either issue with a normal cover.  They are only known to exist with the Red Circle #4 cover.  Which is not quite the same thing, I think. 

Oscar #3 has at least two variants. One has "AUG." covered with a semi opaque box and one does not have the date at all. I have never seen a copy with an unobscured date, but I suppose one might exist...