• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden-Age Variants
3 3

112 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, marmat said:

There are 2 Action Comics issues and 1 (or 2) Superman issues that have a variant given away to military forces.

I forgot which issues :sorry:

I think those are Special Edition #1 - 6.

(Action Comics 80, 81, 84.

Superman 33, 34.

Detective 97).

U.S. Navy giveaways.

1 hour ago, Silver Surfer said:

Would you have a scan by  any chance as I have never seen one. More Fun # 59 has a 15 cent version too. 

errr sorry about that.  I reversed the issue numbers in my original post (since edited).  It's the 43 that has the 15 cent version and the 47 that has dual Canadian/US pricing AND copies with just the 10 cent pricing...  

I'm sure that there are undiscovered books printed around this time with 15 cent pricing.  There seems to be too much of a randomness to the issues that have surfaced thus far.

20 hours ago, N e r V said:

Golden-Age Variants

So some of this was brought up in the Marvel Comics #1 thread but I'm hoping to get some decent participation of known books that fit here without any of the debate (unless strong evidence is provided) as to what is a first or second print, etc. 

The purpose is to get some kind of decent listings of GA variants for reference reasons. I've already broken the rules by including a couple of Marvels from 1962 so feel free to list some post code books to if you feel they fit. Do not post anything that goes beyond say 1963 please. You can post any variation of a book from its date being different to known colouring errors, etc. that you feel are notable.

I also know there are a number of 15 cent Canadian variants so maybe we could list those separately.

Again the purpose is for reference for anyone interested in known GA variants. Hopefully someone besides me and my starting list will participate. :foryou:

Action Comics #62 (2 versions, variant has more blood on soldier and no red circles on Zero)

Algie #1 (2 versions, variant with Dark Mysteries contents)

Batman #1 (2 versions, with and without dot on No. 1, unknown which came first?)

Batman #2 (3 versions, regular with D.C. Logo, variant without D.C. Logo and 15-cent edition which may be Canadian edition)

Blazing Comics #5 (9 versions, regular edition plus copies with leftover covers bound to coverless comics including Adventure #193, Danger #12, Detective #168, Detective #175, Detective #202, Our Army at War #3, Sensation #45, Web of Evil #2)

Crime Suspenstories #1 (2 versions, some copies show #15 in indicia making them first run)

Eerie #1 1951 series (2 versions, woman's dress coloured darker on some comics)

Great Comics #1 (4 versions, Barrel O'Fun, Jubilee, Knockout and Novack)

Green Lama #6 (2 versions, one with black ribbon overstamp)

Impact #1 (2 versions, White and Yellow logos exist)

Journey into Mystery #76 (2 versions, 12 cent price and black circle version)

Love Romances #97 (2 versions, 12 cent price and black circle version)

Marvel Comics #1 (2 versions, Oct. date and Nov. with black circle overstamp)

Mystic Comics #4 ( 2 versions, August printed in silver in one version and hard black on another)

New York World's Fair 1939 (regular 25-cent edition and variant with 15-cent price stickers placed over 25-cent pricing. At least 4 different variations exist of the 15-cent sticker)

Police Comics #63 (2 versions, some copies have #65 printed on cover)

Red Circle Comics #4 (13 versions? Leftover covers to #4 were stapled to coverless 1950's comics including Batman #61, Claire Voyent #1, Crime Does not Pay, Diary Loves, Dorothy Lamour, GI Joe #51, Love Confessions, Love Letters #21, Sabu, Superman #110, Woman Outlaws, Young Love, Venus #1)

Startling Terror Tales #11 (2 versions, blue and black logo outline)

Strange Fantasy #9 (4 versions, regular edition and  "Black Cat", "Boys Ranch" and "War" interior  variants)

Superman #1 (2 versions but 3 known printings, ad with "on sale in June" and ad with "Now on sale", unknown if first version can or is completely identified as first run yet)

Tomb of Terror #13 (2 versions, logo variant)

True Crime comics #2 (blocked out date variant?)

Do you have a scan of the Batman 2 No Logo?  I've never seen that one before.

38 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

The point I was trying to make on the Red Circle is there are at least two distinct sets of contents- Sabu and Dorothy Lamour- that are not rebound, in that nobody has ever found a copy of either issue with a normal cover.  They are only known to exist with the Red Circle #4 cover.  Which is not quite the same thing, I think. 

Ok. I did not know that. Interesting.

34 minutes ago, circumstances said:

I think those are Special Edition #1 - 6.

(Action Comics 80, 81, 84.

Superman 33, 34.

Detective 97).

U.S. Navy giveaways.

I started a separate list for the D.C. 15-cent Canadian variants. I know of more and when I have time I'll add them.

I am thinking of how to list the above.

We shouldn't really count color variations that appear to be the result of varying mixtures and intensity of certain inks, otherwise there are going to be at least three versions of every Fiction House book published. Grey/blue, green/brown, red/orange variations are usually the result of shifts in ink color mixtures during the run, not a conscious decision to switch colors. 

26 minutes ago, rjpb said:

We shouldn't really count color variations that appear to be the result of varying mixtures and intensity of certain inks, otherwise there are going to be at least three versions of every Fiction House book published. Grey/blue, green/brown, red/orange variations are usually the result of shifts in ink color mixtures during the run, not a conscious decision to switch colors. 

I agree but if it's something really notable I might add it. I use the case of Fantastic Four #110 as being the exception not the rule with colouring errors. I'll also note it as such and not a true variant. We do have different coloured logos as being variants however (Impact #1).

46 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I agree but if it's something really notable I might add it. I use the case of Fantastic Four #110 as being the exception not the rule with colouring errors. I'll also note it as such and not a true variant. We do have different coloured logos as being variants however (Impact #1).

FF #110 is a true coloring error, where part of the run came off the presses with the wrong ink assigned to a plate. A different situation than the randomly missed color on an issue, or a wildly out of registration copy. 

Four Color first series issues 3 and 4 had both 10 cent and 15 cent versions, and most of the latter half of the four color run has issues existing with either an ad back or comic back.

Patsy Walker 2 had a red or black logo

2-a.jpg2-3.jpg

2 hours ago, rjpb said:

The same would apply to Atlas books from the 50s with their reds, especially prevalent in PCH issues. You will have an otherwise vibrant and beautifully colored book but the red blurb will look faded.

19 hours ago, N e r V said:

IMG_0035.JPG.e9d125b408128e38a4ad7368b2772308.JPGIMG_0036.JPG.c5ab6aa52cc69699bfbeb3e2079b3cec.JPGIMG_0037.JPG.42bf0925c183a3cb3639eab8a52bee51.JPG

The 3 faces of Batman #2.

Maybe it's just me and maybe it has something to do with the photo of the non-logo version being a bit smaller than the others but there are what appear to be enough variances in the non logo version to make me believe that it's not the real McCoy.  A recreation perhaps.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Edited by pemart1966

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Maybe it's just me and maybe it has something to do with the photo of the non-logo version being a bit smaller than the others but there are what appear to be enough variances in the non logo version to make me believe that it's not the real McCoy.  A recreation perhaps.

I was thinking the same thing.  It looks like the cover reprint from an archive edition or something similar to me, with the wide borders in particular.  But I could be very wrong, and even if a reprint is the source of the image the variant could still exist.

There are many Golden age variants because some countries re printed them , but here is one of the most impressive variants i know  because they draw a completly different cover for it : Marvel Mystery 36  Brazilian Variant

Original 

ziEV5WFh.jpg

Marvel Mystery 36 Brazilian Variant

TxlRgRhh.jpg

here is one of my favorites , same cover different colours 

Phantom Lady 2 

bkmgaA8h.jpg

Phantom lady 2 Mexican Variant

6C6CpgYh.jpg

Edited by Mijael.Levy

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

38 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I was thinking the same thing.  It looks like the cover reprint from an archive edition or something similar to me, with the wide borders in particular.  But I could be very wrong, and even if a reprint is the source of the image the variant could still exist.

There were a number of sites over the last few years mentioning the above book. I actually pulled those scans from here: http://comicbookhunter.blogspot.com/2014/08/batman-2-golden-age-variant-covers.html

I've never seen a copy. I have seen the 15-cent version though and I'm guessing most people haven't so....

how about I place a "?" on it for now pending further evidence. If it's a fake, no harm, no foul. I just don't want to completely remove it for now if it exists and is simply rare. 

20 minutes ago, Mijael.Levy said:

There are many Golden age variants because some countries re printed them , but here is one of the most impressive variants i know  because they draw a completly different cover for it : Marvel Mystery 36  Brazilian Variant

Original 

ziEV5WFh.jpg

Marvel Mystery 36 Brazilian Variant

TxlRgRhh.jpg

here is one of my favorites , same cover different colours 

Phantom Lady 2 

bkmgaA8h.jpg

Phantom lady 2 Mexican Variant

6C6CpgYh.jpg

Very cool. Thanks for sharing those.