• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden-Age Variants
3 3

112 posts in this topic

I love seeing GA superhero books from foreign countries, especially 1940s books like the Brazilian MM reprint. For the most part superhero stories appear to be reprints of U.S. material ( Canadian WECA books aside), though by the 1950s you start to see more home grown characters.   While ebay makes it easier than before to find such stuff, it appears still pretty rare for the most part. 

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

There were a number of sites over the last few years mentioning the above book. I actually pulled those scans from here: http://comicbookhunter.blogspot.com/2014/08/batman-2-golden-age-variant-covers.html

I've never seen a copy. I have seen the 15-cent version though and I'm guessing most people haven't so....

how about I place a "?" on it for now pending further evidence. If it's a fake, no harm, no foul. I just don't want to completely remove it for now if it exists and is simply rare. 

The non-logo version bears an uncanny resemblance to the image appearing in the now defunct Batman Chronicles (:sorry:)  I notice numerous differences between the non-logo version and the two verified versions...

Interesting that the source for the photo says that the 15 cent version is the rarest of the three...

Edited by pemart1966

11 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

The non-logo version bears an uncanny resemblance to the image appearing in the now defunct Batman Chronicles (:sorry:)  I notice numerous differences between the non-logo version and the two verified versions...

Interesting that the source for the photo says that the 15 cent version is the rarest of the three...

A quick glance at the Heritage past sales didn't turn up the non-logo version; for another data point.

On 2017-6-20 at 7:41 PM, circumstances said:

I think those are Special Edition #1 - 6.

(Action Comics 80, 81, 84.

Superman 33, 34.

Detective 97).

U.S. Navy giveaways.

I am reading my 2004 Overstreet, they list Superman 28:

1-Lois Lane Girl Reporter series begins

and

2-Overseas edition for Armed Forces, same as reg. #28

Superman 28 is not listed with the Special Editions

11 hours ago, OtherEric said:

A quick glance at the Heritage past sales didn't turn up the non-logo version; for another data point.

Right...which is why I'm calling "fake" unless someone can come up with an actual photo of the book in hand...

Edited by pemart1966

Was reviewing this thread and realized you were accepting early Silver Age books, as well.

World's Finest #96 has copies with both SEPT. and OCT. cover dates, the September one is the correct (and more common) one.

15 hours ago, marmat said:

I am reading my 2004 Overstreet, they list Superman 28:

1-Lois Lane Girl Reporter series begins

and

2-Overseas edition for Armed Forces, same as reg. #28

Superman 28 is not listed with the Special Editions

I think that might be a typo. GCD lists it as #27 with a scan.

image.jpeg.0e158b487733bab4652374edf33cd263.jpeg

So I'm listing it as #27.

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Was reviewing this thread and realized you were accepting early Silver Age books, as well.

World's Finest #96 has copies with both SEPT. and OCT. cover dates, the September one is the correct (and more common) one.

Thanks. Noted.

43 minutes ago, Foxtrot70 said:

Not that I find any value in price variants but Don't forget NY world fair 1939.  

I mentioned it on page one of this thread, but I don't know if it was already on the list. I didn't look under "N." I looked under "W."

On 25/6/2017 at 9:41 PM, rjpb said:

There are five different versions of  Is This Tomorrow?

No price

No price, yellow circle

Red 10¢ in yellow circle 

Black 10¢ in yellow circle 

Yellow 10¢ in red circle 

There should be also this one, "Yellow 10¢ in black circle", following your name criteria.

IxexTNPh.jpg

And the rare advance variant which I still kick myself for not having bought it when a copy was sold here time ago.

And a little bit of thread necromancy today...

Looney Tunes #4 from Feb. 1942 has two variants; one with the word "comics" in larger type than the other.  I've posted covers over in the Looney Tunes thread already.  There are also 3 other issues- 14, 18, and 21- that have variations with and without a star on the cover.