• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony plans for SPIDER-MAN UNIVERSE
3 3

164 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Wow! I didn't know Sony had the rights to so many Marvel characters.

If you think about it, Spider-Man has such a huge rogues gallery like Batman. It is not surprising how deep that portfolio of characters would be. Just throwing out some off-the-top names:

- Hobgoblin

- Black Cat

- Silver Sable

- Tinkerer

- Molten Man

- Rhino

- Tarantula

- Hydro-Man

- Tombstone 

26 minutes ago, Cman429 said:

All this because people with poor taste made that  crappy Venom movie a success. I hope they’re happy now. So much for having good Spidey movies anymore.

Calling Venom crappy is an insult to crappy movies. 

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

1 hour ago, Antpark said:

Is there anything preventing Sony from still referencing events that unfold in the MCU, even going forward, into their version of the Spiderverse? 

I am of the understanding that they would NOT be allowed to reference things that unfold in the MCU unless it is in a roundabout indirect way like Deadpool did in the first Deadpool movie.  We all knew that Deadpool's end battle took place in an area that they were dismantling a SHIELD Helicarrier... except it wasn't a SHIELD Helicarrier.  Even the production notes were to throw a nod that it takes place after Winter Soldier. 

In my opinion, as much as I am personally disheartened by this, I think this is a BRILLIANT business move on Sony's part.   They could tear Peter Parker away from the MCU and lock down Holland to another multipicture deal.   They could NEVER make mention of the MCU again except in very vague terminology... like Aunt May asking Peter if he is going to be joining back up with 'them' and Peter simply replying that he wants to stay a Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man.  The audience is already invested in the Holland characterization of Spider-man and so long as Holland is in the tights the audience will think that it is still related to the MCU therefore Disney always gives Sony the rub. 

Now, if Disney wants to go all out gangster... all they have to do is wait until Doctor Strange or War Machine starts to put together a new team of Avengers and simply say, "What about the kid from Queens?" and the spomeone says to him, "He's not with us anymore."

It also would not surprise me if this was not the Sony plan from the beginning.  Think of how Far From Home ended.  That is the excuse within the context of the character development to explain why the rest of the MCU does not want anything to do with Spider-man anymore. 

48 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

"Miles Morales" is currently trending on Twitter, as the immediate presumption is Sony will move forward with a live-action version of him rather than Peter Parker.

and that`s why I said to stock up on this book.

Most baby boomer comic collecters are so out of tune and hated that Miles Morales would be a big player like the female  Captain Marvel.

They thought FF #52 was a worst bet than FF#48. LOL

so out of tune with the modern market.

2 hours ago, Cman429 said:

All this because people with poor taste made that  crappy Venom movie a success. I hope they’re happy now. So much for having good Spidey movies anymore.

Oh, ye of little faith.  Sony made a great live action S-M movie 15 years ago. Ok, there have been 3 critical bombs and that venomous piece of garbage since but "anymore" seems extreme.  They may stumble upon another critical hit 15 years from now.

15 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Most baby boomer comic collecters are so out of tune and hated that Miles Morales would be a big player like the female  Captain Marvel.

I have a hoard of 11-13 copies and bought them when no one wanted them... I actually fell in love with the character and saw what he could bring to the table. 

2 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

My 2c, BOYCOTT Sony Movies if Disney and Sony can't make a deal.  Sony is getting greedy. Sony Spider-man movies were dead after Spider-Man 2 (Sony Series 2). They are riding the coat tales of Disney's MCU success!!!

Someone already beat me to it!

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/20/fans-threaten-to-boycott-sony-ps4-over-spider-man-leaving-mcu

53 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

My 2c, BOYCOTT Sony Movies if Disney and Sony can't make a deal.  Sony is getting greedy. Sony Spider-man movies were dead after Spider-Man 2 (Sony Series 2). They are riding the coat tales of Disney's MCU success!!!

50 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

It will still make money regardless of any Disney - Spider-man deal.  So long as Sony retains Tom Holland the majority of movie goers will assume that this incarnation of Spider-man is still part of the MCU. 

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

You mean Ultimate Fallout #4, published August 2011? How many were printed out of curiosity?

15 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Spider-Man is dead then. The MCU will be fine.

And so will Sony's Spider-Verse initiatives. But it sure would be nice if the two companies could work through their differences and play nice together.