• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony plans for SPIDER-MAN UNIVERSE
3 3

164 posts in this topic

I just went through Tom Holland’s social media to see if the rumor was true. 

He did indeed either unfollow Sony OR he never followed them to begin with. 

Now, a fan effort to bring Spider-Man back to the MCU is picking up some serious steam with thousands getting in on the plan.

As we first reported yesterday, an event has popped up on Facebook, "Storm Sony And Bring Spider-Man Home To The MCU", that has a pretty straight-forward plan: storm Sony Pictures in solidarity while dressed in Spider-Man costumes to "bring out boy home". At the time we spotted the event, there were only 12 fans signed on but in the near-24 hours since, that number has increased exponentially. There are now almost 3000 fans who have RSVPed that they are going to the event, scheduled for Halloween.

Now, there isn't a lot of specific details about this event in terms of actually "storming" Sony, but the discussion within the event's page has largely turned into fans sharing news updates, memes, and even calling for boycotts of Sony's Marvel movies until Spider-Man is "returned" to the MCU. The whole event is reminiscent of when Justice League fans decided to show up in costume at Warner Bros. in costume to show their support for the release of the so-called "Snyder Cut" of the film.

I personally think Sony is crazy, but I get it.  They just had their biggest film ever and now they don't want to work with others.  I think they seem to be forgetting that it was Marvel/Disney that got them to the party.  However they own the Spiderman movie rights free and clear so honestly while I am disappointed in the decision to pull Spiderman out of the MCU I'm not going to get all bent out of shape.

It is what it is.  I skipped the Andrew Garfield Spidermans and the Venom movie, so I'll probably skip the next two Sony only movies.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Of course it will take place on Halloween... don't all those people have to storm Area 51 first ?

I wish they could work out a deal, but in business you need to be aggressive, believe in yourself and always be ready to walk away or you will get pushed around.  Whether right or wrong, Sony is probably thinking they can parlay this into 3 billion-dollar, self-financed Spider-Man Cinematic Universe (SMCU) movies a year. What incentive do they have to allow Disney to take profit that is potentially Sony’s which, with the current unprecedented CBM popularity, they have to believe is money already in the bank.  Are they underestimating the importance of a shared MCU continuity and being associated with the Feige brand?  That is their gamble.

Edited by Heronext

26 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

They better pay Holland a bazillion dollar deal to keep him in the Spidey outfit once his deal expires.  If he leaves and they reboot with another actor I don't see this working out for them.

I am still not sure if Holland is allowed to play Spider-man after the terms of his contract is up.  His portrayal of Spider-man may be contingent upon a Sony/Marvel collaboration. 

After reading the terms of Sony's Spectacular Spider-man and why Disney was not allowed to continue using the voice actors, plot lines and characterization of Spider-man once Disney regained the TV rights (which Disney still has) I just don't know... 

Edited by Buzzetta

45 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

They better pay Holland a bazillion dollar deal to keep him in the Spidey outfit once his deal expires.  If he leaves and they reboot with another actor I don't see this working out for them.

I'd like to see him as the next spiderman

Michael_Rapaport_on_the_Public_Morals_Red_Carpet.png

If Sony and Disney really do split, Sony WILL have to do a total reboot since they will not be able to reference any of the past movies. Even simple things i.e. they can't use the Vulture because the Vulture is in jail because he was trying to steal Tony Starks stuff etc etc. They would have to use a new Vulture that isn't linked to the past movies.  Disney could make it a living hell for Sony, where Disney, in theory could just drop Spider-man (unfortunately) and really not disrupt the MCU story line too much.

Moved to another thread.

Edited by Xenosmilus

Marvel fans are still upset about the news that Spider-Man might not be able to be apart of the Marvel Cinematic Universe anymore. Some dedicated Internet sleuths have revealed that some of the fans mad online about the Web-Slinger's predicament are more sketchy than they seem. A #SaveSpiderManFromSony hashtag has begun trending on Twitter recently. Upon further inspection, many of the accounts voicing their displeasure seem to be Twitter bots.

The hashtag stated as an effort for fans to voice their displeasure about Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios reaching an impasse during negotiations for the film rights for Spider-Man. On Tuesday, reports surfaced that the deal that allowed the Wall-Crawler to appear alongside the other Avengers was no more. The Internet was quick to voice their outrage over the move and people made a number of hilarious video edits and photoshops calling out the situation.

Now it appears that a certain amount of the vitriol headed Sony's way is at least at the hands of some outside force. Numerous accounts are parroting the same message at the company about coming back to the negotiation table and let the fans continue to enjoy the character in the MCU. With a careful eye, it looks as though this could be a part of a nefarious effort to bend Sony toward reconciliation.

There are no concrete details about the bots at the time of writing, so there is no evidence that Disney is behind all of this.

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Of course it will take place on Halloween... don't all those people have to storm Area 51 first ?

Some have forgotten what the Marvel Comics were all about. For those wanting to make it more about a biased and single-direction approach.

Mass

Crowd

Unrest

Yet if folks do this for the Snyder Cut or wanting Ben Affleck back as Bruce Wayne, those folks are toxic and disruptive. hm

Edited by Bosco685

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Some have forgotten what the Marvel Comics were all about. For those wanting to make it more about a biased and single-direction approach.

'M'

'C'rowd

'U'nrest

Yet if folks do this for the Snyder Cut or wanting Ben Affleck back as Bruce Wayne, those folks are toxic and disruptive. hm

I don't think that... 

Fan Toxicity to me is the nonsense that people gave Brie Larson and basically Star Wars Fans who complain that their childhood was ruined by prequels and that Last Jedi has ruined their lives. Fan Toxicity is what people did online to that woman that played Rose in Last Jedi... that was disgusting... they should be ashamed of themselves or perhaps be hit by cars and be put in the hospital for a few months. 

I would like to see the Snyder cut of Justice League just out of curiosity.  I don't think DC will release it because it may actually be better than the disjointed product made across the visions of two directors. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I don't think that... 

Fan Toxicity to me is the nonsense that people gave Brie Larson and basically Star Wars Fans who complain that their childhood was ruined by prequels and that Last Jedi has ruined their lives. Fan Toxicity is what people did online to that woman that played Rose in Last Jedi... that was disgusting... they should be ashamed of themselves or perhaps be hit by cars and be put in the hospital for a few months. 

I would like to see the Snyder cut of Justice League just out of curiosity.  I don't think DC will release it because it may actually be better than the disjointed product made across the visions of two directors. 

It is toxic behavior when they are talking about marching to the Sony California HQ and demanding the Spider-Man rights be released, and then some are potentially using chatbots to reinforce attacking Sony.

I do want to see the Snyder Cut. But agree once it is released, the cliffhanger details this will show then would never be completed. OR, the new WB CEO will demand an animated follow-up to close out the story as that would lead to fan excitement.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It is toxic behavior when they are talking about marching to the Sony California HQ and demanding the Spider-Man rights be released, and then some are potentially using chatbots to reinforce attacking Sony.

I do want to see the Snyder Cut. But agree once it is released, the cliffhanger details this will show then would never be completed. OR, the new WB CEO will demand an animated follow-up to close out the story as that would lead to fan excitement.

I didn't know they were doing THAT with the chatbots  I thought it was in jest... if they are serious then seriously they need to get jobs or something...   I do laugh at that though but not for the reason you think... 

It seems that anytime Sony does something that someone does not like they bring the wrath to a level 10.  Remember how upset North Korea was over "The Interview" ?

Edited by Buzzetta