• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,313 posts in this topic

'Wonder Woman' Director Patty Jenkins Makes Time Person Of The Year 2017 Shortlist

wonder-woman-patty-jenkins-time-comicboo

Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins has made the shortlist for TIME's 2017 Person of the Year. Jenkins was announced as a contender last week.

The filmmaker is one of 10 finalists selected by TIME editors, with the Person of the Year title "recognizing the person or group of people who most influenced the news during the past year, for better or for worse."

Wonder Woman secured Jenkins a place in history as the first woman to direct a film that earned more than $100 million in its opening weekend. Jenkins' groundbreaking Wonder Woman earned $821 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing live-action film to be directed by a woman.

The movie went on to become the highest-grossing superhero origin movie and the fifth highest-grossing superhero movie domestically, behind only The Avengers, The Dark Knight, Avengers: Age of Ultron and The Dark Knight Rises

Comic book movies keeping the attention out there.

Gal Gadot Celebrates Four-Year Anniversary of Wonder Woman Casting Announcement

zack-snyder-wonder-woman-proud-1000563-6

Wonder Woman and Justice League star Gal Gadot is celebrating an anniversary: it's been four years since the first announcement of her casting as DC Comics' Amazon superhero in Batman v Superman!

cvpLCHi.png

Gal Gadot is an international superstar thanks to Wonder Woman, but four years ago, it was a very different story. The actress was only really known for her work in the Fast and the Furious franchise, and there were a lot of fans who did not embrace her in the role, early on. Gadot faced everything from acting criticism to vile body-shaming, but never let it stop her from creating the version of Wonder Woman that she and director Patty Jenkins wanted.

(worship):applause:

American Film Institute Names WONDER WOMAN One Of The Top 10 Movies Of 2017

155109.jpg

Today the American Film Institute has announced the Top 10 best Movies of the year, and that list includes Wonder Woman! What makes this list especially even more impressive is that Wonder Woman is the only comic book movie to make the list, and this is the first time a film based on a comic book character has made the AFI Top 10 List since 2012 with Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises.

AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR

• THE BIG SICK
  • CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
  • DUNKIRK
  • THE FLORIDA PROJECT
  • GET OUT
  • LADY BIRD
  • THE POST
  • THE SHAPE OF WATER
  • THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI
  • WONDER WOMAN

Comic book movies breaking barriers even now.

:applause:

Wonder Woman Scholarship Awarded At The Hollywood Reporter Women in Entertainment Breakfast

Jennifer Lawrence fangirled over Wonder Woman, Justin Timberlake got roasted by Angelina Jolie and Sarah Silverman addressed the elephant in the room.

Such highlights abounded at The Hollywood Reporter Women in Entertainment breakfast, where A-listers and powerful producers gather annually to support each other and award scholarships to underprivileged young women.

Later, while announcing scholarships from the stage, Timberlake was visibly moved by the teary excitement of the gathered 18 young women who had been mentored by Hollywood professionals. Each was given a $10,000 scholarship, and four women were awarded full rides to Loyola Marymount University. "Oh, my God, I've got to have a daughter," he said. "I'm ruined after today."

Then came Gadot, who strode in mid-breakfast surprising with a new Wonder Woman scholarship furnished by Warner Bros. She wiped tears from her eyes after young student Carla Arellano was awarded funds to finish her schooling. 

J-Law geeked out over Gadot, just a little. "She truly is Wonder Woman," said the actress on stage. "She came up to me at an awards show and I just went (speechless). She was so gorgeous. I didn't recognize her. I was like who is — what is that?"

The good news for Jenkins seems not to end.

'Wonder Woman' Director Patty Jenkins Selected for Bloomberg 50

wonder-woman-2-director-patty-jenkins-sa

Patty Jenkins is capping off a banner year with being named to the Bloomberg 50 list.

The Bloomberg 50 is a list of individuals in finance, tech, politics, and entertainment who defined global business in 2017. Jenkins was the first woman to direct a blockbuster superhero movie and only the second woman to direct a movie with a budget of over $100 million. With all of that, she made Wonder Woman a record-breaking force at the box office, earning $822 million worldwide, which earned her a spot on Bloomberg’s list.

“People always want to know what it’s like to take on such a huge budget,” Jenkins said in the interview that accompanied the list. “I still have 20 percent too little money and 20 percent too little time to do what I’m trying to do. We’re in full-blown preproduction on the sequel. I love Wonder Woman, and I believe in Wonder Woman, and I can’t believe how lucky I am to have this in the palm of my hand right now.”

Jenkins also answered a question regarding the lack of female directors in Hollywood, specifically women working on big budget films.

“The biggest thing holding female directors back has always been that there was only one audience everyone was aiming for,” she says. “But storytelling is for everyone, and there’s not one type of person it can be done through.

“Women’s movies have been more financially sound and bigger moneymakers across the board. That’s the conundrum in this business—are you guys about money, or are you not?”

DEADLINE: Warner Bros. Becomes First Major Studio To Cross $2 Billion This Year At Domestic B.O. Propelled By ‘Wonder Woman’, ‘It’

During a sleepy December weekend for the industry at the box office, Warner Bros. became the first major studio to cross $2 billion this year. It will ultimately end up as their second-best year ever, after 2009’s $2.13 billion. The Burbank, CA studio also set an industry record for exceeding $1 billion at the domestic box office during 18 of the last 19 years.

Responsible for amassing those figures are seven titles that have crossed $100M, more than any studio year-to-date so far, including DC’s Wonder Woman —the second highest movie of the year and best overall for the summer ($412.5M), It ($327.3M), Justice League ($212M), Dunkirk ($188M), The LEGO Batman Movie ($175.7M), Kong: Skull Island ($168M), and Annabelle: Creation ($100M). Worldwide, Warner Bros. is set to hit $5.1 billion, ranked right behind Disney. In sum, Warner Bros. has had eight No. 1 opening weekends and 12 #1 overall weekends, which is more than any other studio so far in calendar year 2017.

True, Disney will shake up or match some of these stats once Star Wars: The Last Jedi opens on Thursday night, so Warner Bros. will ultimately rank second at the domestic B.O. for 2017. Currently Disney is around $1.85 billion through the end of today.

While critics have dinged Justice League and the film has strained to break even, earning $613.4M worldwide, Warner Bros. is responsible for driving the autumn box office thanks to that DC title plus their monster hit It. Ditto that for the summer season, where Warner Bros. led all studios for the four- month period with $790M, thanks to Wonder Woman. At $212M through four weekends, Justice League is running 6.5% ahead of where the studio’s Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them stood a year ago. That pic ended its run at $234M, and it’s conceivable that Justice League could still outstrip that pic.

Wonder Woman 2: Sarah Paulson Interested in Playing Cheetah

Sarah-Paulson-Cheetah-Wonder-Woman-2.jpg

As the DCEU hopes to somehow redeem itself with Wonder Woman 2, it sounds like American Horror Story star Sarah Paulson is interested in playing the movie’s possible villain, Cheetah.

Looking back at the long history of Wonder Woman’s villains, many have called for the iconic Cheetah to make her debut in Wonder Woman 2. In a recent tweet, one fan suggested that Jenkins cast Paulson as Diana’s friend/foe, and the 43-year-old responded to express her interest.

yiPF1ax.png

There have been four official versions of the character since debuting in 1943, but the best-known is probably the current iteration – Barbara Ann Minerva. As a British archaeologist, Minerva found herself transformed into a human-cheetah hybrid by the ancient plant god Urzkartaga. However, with the DCEU known for changing up its origin stories, it could do whatever it wants with Cheetah.

Also, thanks to her impressive performances on American Horror Story, Paulson would make an almost perfect casting as any of the women to wear the Cheetah mantle.

Patty Jenkins: ‘Wonder Woman 2’ is a “totally different film” than the first movie

ET caught up with Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins last night at the Palm Springs Film Festival, where Gal Gadot was honored with an award. Jenkins told ET that they’re making a “totally different film” with Wonder Woman 2.

“We’re actually making a totally different film with a lot of the same, similar like things that we love, but it’s its own movie completely, so it’s not ‘two’ to us,” Jenkins said. “It’s an entirely new adventure together that we couldn’t be luckier [to do].”

I think what Jenkins means is it’ll just be another Wonder Woman adventure. Not so much a “2” as in a sequel, because it likely won’t touch on any of the events from the first movie.

Wonder Woman 2 is rumored to take place nearly 70 years after the first movie, during the Cold War in the 1980s, so it makes sense that it’d be its own separate thing without having many references to Wonder Woman.

Jenkins is also hopeful that the original Wonder Woman, Lynda Carter, will be able to cameo in the new movie.

“We’ll see,” Jenkins said of a cameo. “Lynda is one of the dearest people to us, has been a great mentor and dear friend. And we actually desperately tried to get her in the first one and we had the scheduling that couldn’t work, so she’s always been a part of our Wonder Woman family. We won’t say anything yet, but we certainly—there’s no lack of trying.”

WONDER WOMAN 2 Director Patty Jenkins Reveals What She's Hoping To Avoid In The Sequel

Apparently, her (Patty Jenkins) plan is to once again find a mixture of heroism and humor as that played such a big role in helping the first installment succeed. "I was obsessed with the tone," she explains. "It was the hardest thing. Particularly because the story we were talking about could so easily skew another way with any of the chapters. You start in a fantasy world of women in costume, and then you go to real life, World War I England and then you end up in the supernatural and then you have a love story."

Asked how she dealt with that the first time around and her hopes for the upcoming sequel, Jenkins added: "I brought in all of my [department heads] every week. I would sit and hammer home we have to be so careful that we don’t veer from one movie to another movie, first of all, and, second, that anywhere that she walks out in a Wonder Woman suit, it just doesn’t look ridiculous."

'Wonder Woman' Sequel to Be First Film to Adopt PGA Policies on Sexual Harassment

Wonder Woman 2 will be the first film to adopt the Producers Guild of America’s anti-harassment rules. The PGA presidents announced this at the PGA Awards ceremony (via Rebecca Keegan on Twitter). The PGA revealed its new anti-sexual harassment guidelines on Friday.

“While the PGA is a voluntary membership organization, the PGA’s Anti-Sexual Harassment Guidelines are sanctioned as best practices for our members. The PGA is indebted to Time’s Up as a resource in creating our protocols. We will continue to work with them, the industry-wide Commission led by Anita Hill, and other organizations in our community until sexual harassment is eliminated from the entertainment workplace.”

Fans may appreciate the poetry of a feminist icon being first to use the guidelines. Wonder Woman 2 recently parted ways with producer Brett Rattner over harassment allegations. Star Gal Gadot confirmed that Ratner’s removal.

“At the end of the day, a lot has been written about my views and the way that I feel, and everyone knows the way that I feel because I’m not hiding anything,” Gadot said. “But the truth is, there’s so many people involved in making this movie, and they all echo the same sentiments. Everyone knew what was the right thing to do. But there was nothing for me to actually come and say because it was already done before this article came out.”

That's very cool.  I really enjoy it when the actors, directors, and even producers gain the camaraderie we hope to see  on screen among our 'heroes'.  Robert Downey leads the pack on building that kind of collegiality among the players in the MCU, and it looks like Gadot and Jenkins have established a great rapport for WW as well.  Very much looking forward to the sequel, which I hope leans on all that made the first one so good (while also avoiding the classic CGI-heavy third act, which was its weakest segment).

Dan

‘Wonder Woman 2’ Working Title Revealed – Teases Villain?

WONDER-WOMAN-2-WORKING-TITLE_SUMMER-SHOO

Omega Underground has been digging up production details on Wonder Woman 2 over the last couple of months. Including its aim to begin filming this summer (expected sometime in June) and eyeing a return to the stages of Warner Bros. Studios UK.

A consistent studio owned stage space previously used for both Justice League and Wonder Woman previously along with all the Wizarding World films. Now, we’ve learned from those with production knowledge on the project that the film’s working title during the filming will be Magic Hour.

While most working titles tend to be randomized and selected by directors as inside jokes, we’ve recently seen with Shazam!’s working title of Franklin (a nod to Benjamin Franklin‘s lightning experiment/theory that we first reported on) teasing the Philadelphia setting of the film which was later confirmed. It’s possible Magic Hour could be referring to something in the film as well. The title Magic Hour might be referring to sorceress DC villain Circe. This is just our guess for the moment but it’s not a huge leap to make.

:wishluck:

I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed when they cast Gadot as Wonder Woman as I hadn't seen her in anything that gave me the confidence that she could bring any legitimate depth to the character. Boy was I wrong on that one. Gadot gave an incredibly nuanced performance as Wonder Woman. I just had no idea she had that level of acting ability in her. She was really born to play this role. And making the first film take place during WWI was just a brilliant decision as it gave the perfect backdrop to the film. The contrast of Wonder Woman's shiny armor and shield against the rickety wooden ladder she walks up when she is climbing up out of the trench was just incredible. That glass negative that Bruce Wayne sends her in the very beginning of the movie captures that contrast perfectly.

IMO, this was easily one of the best super hero films made to date and I expect that will still be true 10-20 years down the line. Can't wait for the sequel, especially considering Patty is coming back to direct again. Jenkins just did an absolutely stellar job all the way around on this film. Its just a shame DC's other films can't live up to this level of quality. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

6 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed when they cast Gadot as Wonder Woman as I hadn't seen her in anything that gave me the confidence that she could bring any legitimate depth to the character. Boy was I wrong on that one. Gadot gave an incredibly nuanced performance as Wonder Woman. I just had no idea she had that level of acting ability in her. She was really born to play this role. And making the first film take place during WWI was just a brilliant decision as it gave the perfect backdrop to the film. The contrast of Wonder Woman's shiny armor and shield against the rickety wooden ladder she walks up when she is climbing up out of the trench was just incredible. That glass negative that Bruce Wayne sends her in the very beginning of the movie captures that contrast perfectly.

IMO, this was easily one of the best super hero films made to date and I expect that will still be true 10-20 years down the line. Can't wait for the sequel, especially considering Patty is coming back to direct again. Jenkins just did an absolutely stellar job all the way around on this film. Its just a shame DC's other films can't live up to this level of quality

Maybe if they chose Patty Jenkins instead of Zack Snyder to build the DCEU world....

40 minutes ago, revat said:

Maybe if they chose Patty Jenkins instead of Zack Snyder to build the DCEU world....

Yeah, I don't really understand DC's line of thinking when it comes to the DCEU, especially when they decided to bring on Joss Whedon. Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon have 2 VERY different styles. I could easily tell which scenes in Justice League were filmed by Snyder and which one's were filmed by Whedon. I'm sorry, but those 2 are like oil and water. They need to pick one and stick with it otherwise each film those guys do are going to have VERY different styles. IMO, DC has a much stronger roster of characters than Marvel, but they just can't seem to figure out what they want to do or the style they want their films to have and until that situation gets rectified, I really don't see much changing. Oh well, at least we have Wonder Woman to look forward too. 

RUMOR: WONDER WOMAN 2 Will Introduce Cheetah And Warner Bros. Is Looking For A Big Name To Fill The Role

Patty Jenkins is scheduled to begin shooting Wonder Woman 2 this May in London, and some casting/character rumors have now begun to filter through.

That Hashtag Show reports that the main antagonist for the sequel will indeed be Cheetah, as many fans speculated that it would be. According to them, the film will introduce the Barbara Ann Minerva incarnation of the ferocious villain.

The second part of the report originally indicated that Warner Bros. wanted none other than Emma Stone to play the role, but they've since updated the article with the news that the Amazing Spider-Man actress has passed. Still, if this is on the level it certainly indicates that the studio is after a big name to play Cheetah.

NOT Emma Stone for such a critical villain role. Right now Patty Jenkins has actresses throwing themselves at this, including Geena Davis, Charlize Theron and Emma Thompson. Along with Lynda Carter offering to appear briefly.

Get an Emily Blunt or Charlize Theron in the role, and call this ready to roll.

'Wonder Woman 2': Kristen Wiig in Talks to Star as Villain

wonder-woman-2-cheetah-kristen-wiig-1087

It looks like Gal Gadot will be going up against a Saturday Night Live alum in the upcoming sequel to Wonder Woman, according to a recent report. The Patty Jenkins production is looking at casting Kristen Wiig as the villain Cheetah for Wonder Woman II, as reported by Deadline. The trade states that the deal could be finalized "quickly."

Wiig's Cheetah would square off with Gadot's Wonder Woman in a Cold War-era setting, with filming confirmed to begin later this summer. Cheetah was reported to have a role in the film a few days ago when The Hashtag Show said that Emma Stone was in talks with Warner Bros. to play the villain, though the actor turned the role down.

Some people speculated that the film's working title of "Magic Hour" seemed to tease that Circe would be involved, and that is still a possibility, but Deadline's report seemingly confirms that Cheetah will have a prominent role in Wonder Woman II.

Wiig is primarily known for her comedy chops, though she has shown she has range in films like The Skeleton Twins, The Martian, and Downsizing.

I didn't see that match. But people seem to like the idea. Including someone more negative than positive with these movies.