• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,313 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I have no problem with Kristin Wiig.  But DC is really missing an opportunity to put a minority (specifically African American) female in this role.

***Cheetah is African American in the Injustice video game.

Who would you have preferred?

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Who would you have preferred?

Nobody specific...I only think it's a missed opportunity.  But if I had to choose I would go with Paula Patton or Kerry Washington:luhv:.

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
hearts

58 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Nobody specific...I only think it's a missed opportunity.  But if I had to choose I would go with Paula Patton or Kerry Washington:luhv:.

Not being an antagonist here, but I literally know nothing about the Cheetah character, so as a layman why would I see this as a missed opportunity?

32 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Not being an antagonist here, but I literally know nothing about the Cheetah character, so as a layman why would I see this as a missed opportunity?

Good question.

I'm going to assume you know about the movement in comics in recent years to be more inclusive to minorities/females (Jane Foster Thor, Cho Hulk, Ironheart Iron Man, etc.) and the backlash it faced.  The reason people were upset wasn't because of the movement but rather the lazy/unimaginative approach they took.  They took popular white male characters and made them female/minorities.

Cheetah is an original character (in the sense she wasn't based on a white male character) with various women in the DC universe wearing the mantle.  The movie could make Cheetah any race they wanted (i.e. in the Injustice video game she is African American).  Wonder Woman is a rather "white" movie.  With the success of Black Panther they could have expanded their viewer base to try and capture a broader audience if they cast somebody who is a minority without any backlash.  Hence, a missed opportunity.

***With Wonder Woman being such a success it gives them an opportunity to take more risk in the second movie.

5 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Good question.

I'm going to assume you know about the movement in comics in recent years to be more inclusive to minorities/females (Jane Foster Thor, Cho Hulk, Ironheart Iron Man, etc.) and the backlash it faced.  The reason people were upset wasn't because of the movement but rather the lazy/unimaginative approach they took.  They took popular white male characters and made them female/minorities.

Cheetah is an original character (in the sense she wasn't based on a white male character) with various women in the DC universe wearing the mantle.  The movie could make Cheetah any race they wanted (i.e. in the Injustice video game she is African American).  Wonder Woman is a rather "white" movie.  With the success of Black Panther they could have expanded their viewer base to try and capture a broader audience if they cast somebody who is a minority without any backlash.  Hence, a missed opportunity.

***With Wonder Woman being such a success it gives them an opportunity to take more risk in the second movie.

I do agree Wonder Woman has earned the ability to take risks in the next movie. And it should take advantage of this where it makes the most sense.

I'd be a little concerned if it started to be perceived as the 'White Lady vs the Black Lady' where people get fixated on why the villain is a Minority. Then it backfires on what should be a successful sequel. And we know people can't help but pick up on those differences once the word starts hitting social media. Especially if another hater starts another one of those fake 'I'm a former WB employees, and I'm here to share WB/DC is racist' campaigns like was done with the first movie being a mess.

A few reporting sites did bring up last year the first movie was appearing too white (ignoring Said Taghmaoui as Sameer, Ann Wolfe as Artemis, Eugene Brave Rock as Chief). One site did a review of Minorities in the Wonder Woman lore, and touched on a few characters. But also the hazards of using the characters in some form of their comic book backstory, which demonstrates how this could backfire if handled incorrectly.

‘Wonder Woman,’ Women of Color, and Building a Diverse Themiscyra

Nubia: Wonder Woman’s Sister and the Strong Black Woman Trope

Nubia’s backstory is both tragic and laced with the “strong black woman” trope. Nubia, who is Diana’s sister, was kidnapped by Ares to be raised in the ways of war on Slaughter Island. Nubia is stripped from the loving environment Diana grew up in on Themiscyra and when she returns, she is showcased in a way that speaks to the stereotypes about black women — she is loud, brash, and demanding thanks to her childhood of war training. She views Diana as a threat to her title as Wonder Woman, and even though Nubia is supposed to be seen in a sympathetic light, her characterization and her storylines often put her in the odd position of being Wonder Woman’s adversary. All of this speaks to a severe lack of knowledge about how to write black women, much less characters of color as a whole, to where they act and speak as real people, not cobbled-together stereotypes.

Phillippus: Wonder Woman’s Mentor and the Caregiver Trope

Philippus, who was created in 1987, is Hippolyta’s Captain of the Guard, loyal devotee, and eventually, Philippus became Hippolyta’s lover. She was also young Diana’s mentor.

Philippus as Diana’s mentor is something that should make Philippus more well-rounded. But the idea of having Philippus as Diana’s mentor also something that could be seen as reinforcing her status as “second best”; her role as mentor is still reminiscent of other black characters in film, television, and comics that stay within a “caregiver” or even a “Mammy” framework.

How Wonder Woman Could Advance Themyscira

Director Patty Jenkins has used her platform on Twitter to say that there will be a diverse showcase of women in Wonder Woman and, to her credit, the IMDB page for the film does have several women of color in featured roles. For instance, the one that might be the most prominent is Senator Acantha, played by Captain America: Civil War actress Florence Kasumba. Whether her role in the film seems more prominent just because of the Civil War bump or because her role is actually big remains to be seen. But seeing how there’s not much out about the character in the comics or even in relation to the film, the worry that Acantha will just be a bit part is tantamount.

Interesting enough, Florence Kasumba noted as 'Senator Acantha' starred in both Wonder Woman and Black Panther. She just wasn't a central character at that point. But you can see where Patty Jenkins tried to integrate females of many races in her portrayal of Themyscira.

I can go either way with Cheetah. If it is done right, definitely cast her as originating from a different place than her original British backstory. Especially since Barbara Minerva becomes Cheetah through her adventures in Africa.

WONDER WOMAN Sequel Reportedly Set To Start Shooting As Soon As This May In The UK

The sequel to the DC Extended Universe's biggest success yet, Wonder Woman, is currently set to hit theatres on November 1st, 2019. We had heard that Warner Bros. was aiming for a summer production schedule now that the story had been settled upon, thanks to confirmation by producer Charles Roven, who said in an interview with Comicbook.com:

"We're in what I would call development of the screenplay." Roven said. "We finally, I think, have a good story to tell. Not kind of – we do believe we have a good story to tell. And then we're also just moving out of what normally we would call soft prep into hard prep. We're hoping to start shooting the movie sometime this summer, and hope to have it out by the end of '19."

According to Omega Underground, Warner Bros. has finally decided upon an exact date and location to begin shooting the Wonder Woman sequel. Apparently, they plan on getting the cameras rolling as soon as May 28th, beginning in the United Kingdom. Wonder Woman will be the second of three DC Extended Universe projects to begin shooting this year, with Shazam! already in production and Suicide Squad 2 also set to begin filming later in the year.

Ugh. While I will give Jenkins the benefit of the doubt due to the casting of Gal Gadot, I will go into the theatre with lowered expectations for Wiig in this role.

6 hours ago, kimik said:

Ugh. While I will give Jenkins the benefit of the doubt due to the casting of Gal Gadot, I will go into the theatre with lowered expectations for Wiig in this role.

:gossip: Zack Snyder was the one that selected Gal Gadot.

I'm not feeling it either just yet. But after what she pulled off with the first movie, I agree. You have to have some faith in Patty Jenkins.

:wishluck:

"Sensationally talented"... Ok, Ms Jenkins hasn't seen Ghostbusters.

Whatever one's thoughts on DC movies, the general consensus seems to show Wonder Woman as the shining light. With so much pinned on the sequel, you'd think WB would have put together a top notch cast. I guess not.

Kate Beckinsale would have been a much better choice...  :wink:

6 hours ago, Batman said:

"Sensationally talented"... Ok, Ms Jenkins hasn't seen Ghostbusters.

Well to be fair, I don't think anyone saw Ghostbusters. 

I do hope she did her homework prior to casting Wiig, but with Emma Stone reportedly having been the first choice, I'm not terribly confident that this role is going to the best woman for the job. 

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Well to be fair, I don't think anyone saw Ghostbusters. 

I do hope she did her homework prior to casting Wiig, but with Emma Stone reportedly having been the first choice, I'm not terribly confident that this role is going to the best woman for the job. 

Supposedly the Emma Stone thing is real. Justin Kroll from Variety had broke the news.

I'm not getting it yet. With all the big name actresses that went nuts after Wonder Woman premiered offering their services, I would have assumed Charlize Theron or Emily Blunt. So this is definitely a twist. But I have to hope Patty Jenkins sees something there.