• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Golden Age Foreign Editions
4 4

204 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2022 at 6:05 AM, Kromak said:

Random thoughts about the Heritage international Foreign Comics Auction

I really liked that Superman 123 which had the Supergirl prototype drawn with long hair instead of the short hair-style of the US version.

I had many books on my watch list, but I forgot when the auction running.  They need to keep their comic book auctions fixed for Sundays.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:06 PM, Yorick said:

I had many books on my watch list, but I forgot when the auction running.  

I had to go to a dinner party and missed out on the two items I wanted to bid on (via my phone) when I got distracted by having too much fun.  The one I regret is the highest graded Stalmannen 23. I've got a few already (because they just seem so wrong) but that one was a beauty:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Stålmannen #23 Superman, Batman, and Robin Swedish Edition (Centerforlaget, 1950) CGC VF- 7.5 Off-white to white pages....

My most recent copy looks similar on the front cover (which is all that matters on this thing) but has some flaws elsewhere:

s-l500.jpg

On 11/12/2022 at 3:05 PM, Kromak said:

Random thoughts about the Heritage international Foreign Comics Auction:

I wanted to watch it live, but it started 9pm here, so I only followed it until the 'A' letter finished.

Biggest mistake was to grade everything, if they do part 2, they should seriously reconsider the need of grading books expected to be sold by less than +- $200.

About the Brazilian books, the most special silver age IMO, the Superman 61 (AC 252), was a great deal given how special it is. By far, the coolest Brazilian Silver Age book in the auction (grade by grade).

Most Brazilian golden age stuff were sold by values not much different than what they are usually sold in Brazilian Mercado or Brazilian auction websites.

The two coolest ones (more important) were Gibi 224 and the Phantom 's Correios Universal. I think Gibi 224 was sold by more or less what is worth, given the really poor condition. The Phantom was sold by somewhat less perhaps, but it isn't a book I would have submitted to Heritage. Perhaps Ebay, Mercado Livre or Brazilian auction houses would have been a better place.

The places 3-5 on the coolest Brazilian rank were Gibi Mensal 7A, 8A and Lobinho 50. Gibi 8A was sold by a reasonable price I think, given its condition, but the two other under performed by a lot. I wouldn't hesitate by a second to choose one of the other three places to sell them.

Shazam n°2, perhaps n°6 on the coolest list, could have done a little better I think.

Link for the books sold: https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?No=0&N=52+790+231+4294939259

The german Marvels of the 70s seem on the rise. Last year I bought a Spinne 3 in comparable grade for 50 Euros. Yesterday:https://www.ebay.de/itm/125598038573?hash=item1d3e39fa2d:g:5oIAAOSwoT9jZr8A

On 11/11/2022 at 11:26 PM, sfcityduck said:
On 11/11/2022 at 9:15 PM, Brad Ross Cohen said:

I just got these two back and I am not sure if they have the correct description and title. 1st they labeled them as if they are reprints which I am not sure is the case. Second they are UK versions but i was pretty sure they were Australian. ?!?! 

We need our Australian experts to weigh in, but my understanding is that some Australian comics are printed in the UK because I've also seen them called "UK" comics.

Two Brits had a go here:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/515109-does-this-book-have-the-correct-description-title-uk-or-australian-version-of-superman/

On 7/14/2017 at 5:00 AM, Kevin.J said:

Hey guys, thanks for the heads up on a great thread Jimmers.

The Ghostly Weird in my sig line is a US copy, there was a UK copy on Ebay UK recently, that was the first and only copy I have ever seen.

I only collect US comics but have acquired lots of UK and foreign editions over the years into side collections, I don't actively seek them out but always find them intriguing

Heres a group shot what I took recently to show to Jimmers, I guess that most fit here :)

5968788ac16d5_Streamlinegroupshot.thumb.JPG.1e525ea957317a7d327c5911490aed9b.JPG

Impeccable Collection !

On 6/19/2021 at 8:48 PM, Frisco Larson said:

@Komic Kazi International I was wondering if perhaps you can help me with something. I am hoping that you have a copy of this Brazilian comic that I was very fortunate to be able to purchase the original front cover art of. I haven't been able to track down a copy of it so I can see how it looks in printed form. Super-Homem #78 from March of 1954.

Super-Homem 78 March 1954 cover large.jpg

Magnificent Pick Up...

Just Amazing....

Those who don't know will in the future.

That owning OA like this is simply a Privilege and quite emotional late at night when you holding it alone in the night and then you realize I am holding comic history!

How lucky am I .

1954 Superman one of one....

WOW

On 11/17/2022 at 10:32 AM, Komic Kazi International said:

Magnificent Pick Up...

Just Amazing....

Those who don't know will in the future.

That owning OA like this is simply a Privilege and quite emotional late at night when you holding it alone in the night and then you realize I am holding comic history!

How lucky am I .

1954 Superman one of one....

WOW

Thank you so much! I've been buying a lot more original art in the last couple of years, and I agree with you that it IS a special feeling owning something historical and one-of-a-kind! Thanks again for the kind words!  (thumbsu

On 11/17/2022 at 4:26 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I don't have this in hand yet, but it's paid for and should be on its way! 

Captain America 59 3.5 ow-w Brazilian front.jpg

Funny, he looks like Clark Kent!

On 11/12/2022 at 6:06 PM, Yorick said:

I really liked that Superman 123 which had the Supergirl prototype drawn with long hair instead of the short hair-style of the US version.

I had many books on my watch list, but I forgot when the auction running.  They need to keep their comic book auctions fixed for Sundays.

Do you mean this one:

Screenshot-1.thumb.png.3f740fb2259f7055880ffa100e28637e.png

It was one of my books :P. I didn't notice the hair difference until you mentioned, but that's the kind of thing that gives this extra charm to foreign editions :)

On 11/23/2022 at 4:53 PM, Yorick said:

I'm sorry I wasn't able to bid it up for you.  :foryou:

Would you happen to have another?

Yep:

capa.thumb.jpg.105bf50deff3c68010f1153c5f763e3b.jpg

contra-capa.thumb.jpg.407b0fa451c262238028516bf935a67d.jpg

I was going to keep that one for myself for a while, but I received another copy in the last few weeks, so this one is available :)

On 11/24/2022 at 8:35 PM, KirbyJack said:

This little Canadian beauty has way fewer pages than it’s US counterpart. I want to say it has more maple leaves, but I can’t confirm that.

BBCDF6F2-F6CB-4DB0-B5ED-6CAD04C25403.thumb.jpeg.d50709aaa8f86411ee612f8e40e2758e.jpeg

Looks very old (which is cool). From which year?

A few semi-recent purchases that fit here.

Blonde Phantom cover that doesn't exist in American form. Might possibly be a redrawn splash or interior panel from a BP story of similar timeframe (more on that in a minute). The back cover is the front cover of All Winners #17!!!

O Guri 179 1.8 ow front.jpg

O Guri 179 1.8 ow back.jpg

This copy of Gibi Mensal cover dated November 1941 has a remarkable blend on interior content!!! Starting with the Human Torch and Toro original front cover to the Blue Beetle (in GREEN costume) back cover, this book is just loaded!!! The Human Torch story is from Human Torch #1!!! The Ka-Zar and Sub-Mariner stories are from Marvel Mystery #19!!! The Espionage story in from an unidentified Quality comic, and it's likely that some of the other stories are too. The Angel house ad on the interior back cover is also quite a treat to see!!! I'm so thankful to have been able to add this book to my collection and share it here with all of you!!! 

Gibi Mensal 11A front.jpg

Gibi Mensal 11A interior front.jpg

Gibi Mensal 11A Human Torch splash from HT 1.jpg

Gibi Mensal 11A interior pg 1.jpg

Gibi Mensal 11A interior pg 2.jpg

Gibi Mensal 11A Ka-Zar splash from MM 19.jpg

Gibi Mensal 11A interior pg 3.jpg

Gibi Mensal 11A Sub-Mariner splash from MM 19.jpg

Gibi Mensal 11A interior back.jpg

Gibi Mensal 11A back.jpg