• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Definitive" List of Bronze Age Marvel Keys
7 7

109 posts in this topic

** EDITED TO INCLUDE CORRECTIONS AND ADDITIONS **

Hi everyone,

Having assembled complete Bronze Age (and almost-complete Silver Age) runs of most of the prominent Marvel titles, I'm in the process of having my collection graded and figuring out which of my books have the most value (not to mention which of my copies aren't up to snuff and need to be replaced with better copies).

As part of this little project, I wanted to put together a "definitive" list of the Bronze Age keys that I should be focusing on in evaluating and potentially upgrading my collection.  I've put together a preliminary list off the top of my head -- I'm sure isn't complete, and I'm interested in hearing the group's comments on what books need to be added to this list.  I'm sure there will be a few cases where you'll be tempted to say "How could you forget about this book?!" and so on, so please be gentle when pointing out glaring omissions.  Like I said, this was off the top of my head.

I'm also going a bit from memory as to where the boundaries are between what people consider late-Silver and Bronze.  Generally I'm talking about 20-cent to 30-cent cover prices, but a 15-cent book like Conan #1 is usually called Bronze.  So there's probably some gray area there too and I am open to your thoughts.

I also cheated a bit on the other end for a few titles, going well past what most consider the Bronze Age to toss in a few more recent books that are typically sought after.

Here's what I've put together so far, in alphabetical order (and with a lot of variation in value / desirability -- some of these books are clearly much stronger than others):

• Amazing Adventures #11
  • Amazing Spider-Man #101, 121, 122, 129, 135, 136, 149, 194
  • Astonishing Tales #25
  • Avengers #83, 93, 100, 112, 181, 196
  • Captain America #117, 217
  • Captain Marvel #25
  • Cat #1
  • Conan the Barbarian #1, 23, 24
  • Daredevil #131, 158, 168, 181
  • Defenders #1
  • Eternals #1
  • Fantastic Four #112
  • Fear #19
  • Ghost Rider #1
  • Giant-Size Creatures #1
  • Giant-Size X-Men #1
  • Hero For Hire #1
  • Howard the Duck #1
  • Incredible Hulk #141, 180, 181
  • Iron Fist #1, 14
  • Iron Man #54, 55, 128
  • Marvel Feature #1
  • Marvel Premiere #1, 15, 47
  • Marvel Preview #4, 7
  • Marvel Spotlight #2, 5, 12, 32
  • Marvel Team-Up #1
  • Ms. Marvel #1, 16, 17, 18
  • Night Nurse #1
  • Nova #1
  • Savage She-Hulk #1
  • Special Marvel Edition #15
  • Star Wars #1
  • Strange Tales #169, 180
  • Sub-Mariner #34, 35
  • Thor #193, 225
  • Tomb of Dracula #1, 10
  • 2001 #8
  • Warlock #1
  • Werewolf By Night #32
  • X-Men #94, 101, 109, 120, 121, 129, 130, 141

Very interested to hear what other books should be on this list, and bracing for ridicule on whatever I've inadvertently left out!

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Some potential additions off the top of my head:

Astonishing Tales #25

Avengers #93, 100

Conan #24 

Fear #19

Night Nurse #1 - not a joke!

Special Marvel Edition #15

Tomb of Dracula #1, 10

I didn't see any magazines on your list - there are several of interest, like Savage Tales #1, SSoC #1, the Punisher origin issue, the first Star-Lord, 1st Rocket Raccoon.. I forget all the issue numbers for the magazines. 

Edited by Crimebuster

2 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Some potential additions off the top of my head:

Astonishing Tales #25

Avengers #93, 100

Conan #24 

Fear #19

Night Nurse #1 - not a joke!

Special Marvel Edition #15

Tomb of Dracula #1, 10

I didn't see any magazines on your list - there are several of interest, like Savage Tales #1, SSoC #1, the Punisher origin issue, the first Star-Lord, 1st Rocket Raccoon.. I forget all the issue numbers for the magazines. 

Thank you!

I did have Marvel Preview #4 and #7 on the list, which covers Star Lord and Rocket Raccoon.  I put Conan #23 on my list when it looks like I really meant #24.  :blush:

Totally forgot about Deathlok, Man-Thing, and Shang-Chi (I have the first of those three, not the other two).  I hadn't considered Night Nurse, Dracula, and Blade but maybe I should.  Just when I thought I was done searching for Bronze Age issues!!

46 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Star Wars #1

Interesting.  Though I'm a fan of the movies, it has never even occurred to me to collect Star Wars comics.  Obviously those stories exist entirely outside the "Marvel Universe" and they've just been completely off my radar.  But no doubt that's a key.

Strange Tales 170 - ??

Remove:
Amazing Spider-Man 135, 150
Avengers 93, 100
Daredevil 158
Fantastic Four 112
Ghost Rider 1
Iron Fist 1
Uncanny X-Men 142

Add:
Avengers 181, 195, 196
Giant-Size Creatures 1
Ms. Marvel 9
Savage She-Hulk 1
Strange Tales 178-181
The Cat 1
X-Men 96, 97, 107, 117, 130

Captain Marvel #25?  Well, at least it was a book I always coveted anyway.  Although I think it's probably in the same class as DD #158 and on the fence for a lot of people.

Although the sword and sorcery genre may be dead, I really like Creatures on the Loose 10 (1st Kull by Wrightson) and Chamber of Darkness #4 (conan try-out by B.Smith).  I like Strange Tales #180 as well for 1st Gamora.

Edited by Brian48

11 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Why? What is it about her 3rd appearance (on only a single page) that makes it the book?

In 16, Mystique is disguised, 17 she is Nick Fury, 18 is the first time you see her in her true blue form. Personally as a Mystique collector I have only minimal interest in 16,17. 

On 7/27/2017 at 11:07 AM, Harley Troy said:

In 16, Mystique is disguised, 17 she is Nick Fury,

Uh, yeah... that's her power. She switches forms in 17 as well.

18 is the first time you see her in her true blue form.

Yes, and her last name is revealed (first name used in 17).

Personally as a Mystique collector I have only minimal interest in 16,17. 

So, as a Mystique collector, you want to see her standing around scratching her butt rather than using her power? (shrug)