• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,073 posts in this topic

Name the forgotten cartoon character Dept.

I love finding little groups of stuff like this. I don’t go out of way, nor do I pay  much. Just fun to stumble on things like this. Kids used to trade amoungst them selves to see how many they could get. 

Some characters are obvious and some are just lost to time I’m afraid.

First off is a group of card stock “Lucky Chips” from a NO CA newspaper. 1940’s.

These were apparently slipped into newspapers randomly. The paper would publish the winning numbers in the next issue redeemable for prizes. Kind like lottery tickets. 

How many characters can you name?

A6CD83F5-921B-4127-88DF-4A41C90053AB.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

On 12/6/2021 at 5:23 PM, Robot Man said:

Group 2. Similar to group 1.

How many do you know?

3F53F8D8-C504-4EAF-815C-2E27AFCA29B5.jpeg

Some tough ones - it's sort of an eye test, too! The first one escapes me right now - looks like a George Carlson or perhaps a character from "Out Our Way" - the second one might be a poorly drawn Dan Dunn or a lot of other characters. From there I believe it's Smitty, Straight Arrow, Bugs, Mary Worth and Rex Morgan, M.D. Unless the last one is Big Ben Bolt. Do they have the names on the reverse? 

The set above this one has some real toughies - it looks like Abie Agent to start off! Only the last row is easier.

Edited by PopKulture

Not comic related, but I know you like buttons.  I got this at the 1974 World's Fair.  The Soviet Pavilion was out of them, so one of the soviet guys in charge gave me this button off his suit coat...and of course, in keeping with the tradition of distaste for capitalism and Americans, he included the traditional look of disgust as he did it...lol

=USSR-Expo1974-Spokane.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 12/23/2021 at 5:19 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Not comic related, but I know you like buttons.  I got this at the 1974 World's Fair.  The Soviet Pavilion was out of them, so one of the soviet guys in charge gave me this button off his suit coat...and of course, in keeping with the tradition of distaste for capitalism and Americans, he included the traditional look of disgust as he did it...lol

=USSR-Expo1974-Spokane.jpg

Geez the guy gave you the button off his jacket and you are making fun of him! He was probably mad he couldn't bring it back to Russia and trade it for some goodies.

On 12/24/2021 at 3:33 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Geez the guy gave you the button off his jacket and you are making fun of him! He was probably mad he couldn't bring it back to Russia and trade it for some goodies.

I just report the facts, Sir.  No levity intended...well, not much anyway...:)

On 12/27/2021 at 12:39 PM, Robot Man said:

And 'ole yours truly MANY years ago!

bobchristmastoys.jpg

I wonder why they chose to include the old fashioned phone with the super market setup? Or maybe that was a separate present?

That also looks like a cool model of the P38 Lightning plane below. I had a scale plastic model of that which was pretty amazing.

Got a cool post Christmas present from a friend yesterday. She thought I might know who this was. Indeed, a 1920’s/‘30’s newspaper character. A larger than normal box. Great graphics and a flip down front.

Maybe even better, they are just starting to clear out their grandparent’s house. “Full of junk” she said. I am going to help her out to make sure they don’t pitch anything good. Nothing better than the archeology of going through an old house of “junk”.

@PopKulture

4541E994-089D-49F9-B04E-FBD84A334065.jpeg