• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,077 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2017 at 8:17 PM, Robot Man said:

Went into an antique store today while driving somewhere and found these. Fun find!

archie1962calendar.jpg

archierollerskatingpostcard.jpg

I'm so jealous!  And that's the year I was born!  If you ever decide to sell for a ridiculous price, please PM me!

Edited by n2wdw

Small con report...

I wasn't even going to go to this one. Labor Day weekend, very few GA dealers, $60. for admission and parking ect. It was also running the same time as the San Francisco con which also looked light on GA dealers. I figured it would be a bust (and I wasn't far off the mark). But, I got a chance to get early with an exhibitor pass and it's in my back yard so what the heck. Plus it was VERY hot and humid in LA and getting into a large air conditioned building didn't sound like a bad idea.

This is a smaller non-comic book "comic con" anyway. It has been OK in the past. Several of the better GA dealers were noticably absent, Terry, Harley and a couple of others. Even that snake "Angelo the Liquidator" was missing. Ed Robertson and Brad Sloan were there and there is always "that guy" at shows like this. (More about that later). There were some of the usual small crappy mostly SA-Modern guys with the same well thumbed boxes of junk.

The "big guest" was Capt. Kirk. For a mere $300 or so, you got admission for both days and a meet and greet with the good Capt. An item or two signed and a "photo op". Maybe a big deal for treckies but of no interest to me even for free. Howard Chaykin was there for a fee and a few modern artists who I don't even know. Hey, it was even light on cosplay girls...

First stop was Ed Robertson. A great guy to deal with. He always has just a couple of boxes of GA at half price or less. I grabbed a nice small pile of mostly pre-code horror books. Not the real good titles which I have already but stuff like Advs into the Unknown, Forbidden Worlds, Black Magic, Avon, Kirby Monster books and others that I have always passed on due to their usual lack of gore! I will pick them up cheap though as readers. Nothing earth shaking but some fun stuff. He had a couple of nice Planets but someone beat me to the one I needed... I hope he did OK and I appreciate him making that long drive out here. Here's a couple of the cooler ones. The Detective is usually not something I buy but I had never seen a grey tone Detective and it was priced soooo cheap.

IMG_1284.jpg

comadvsunknown13.jpg

comjourneyintomystery51.jpg

comblackmagicv2#5.jpg

comdetective239.jpg

Next stop was my pal Brad Sloan. Brad had been buying and selling on consignment a very nice collection of atomic age books for some time now. He always has something cool for me. He does a lot of local shows and the good stuff goes fast but I managed to fill in a couple of holes. Another guy who is great to deal with!

I had to comment that I don't usually buy F-VF books but I would look at his stuff anyway.:baiting:

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

Saw these guys who looked like they might have promise. I'd never heard of them. A large booth with tons of boxes. Trouble was they were filed a little inconvenient. Many boxes that said "New arrivals" or "High grade GA/SA/BA". I saw the two overpriced early Actions and a couple of OK Nedors that I already had on the wall. I looked through a few of the boxes and saw mostly SA and GA common stuff. A few GA here and there but just didn't want to spend the time. I asked if they had any GA stuff and was told, "Maybe, it's in the boxes". Why do people do that? I moved on and they got none of my money.

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

All in all, it was OK I guess. I saw hardly any local boardies. Probably figured it would be a bust and it kind of was. I was through buying in about an hour and spent another hour or so just people watching or jawing with a few guys.

I spoke to the promoter, a very nice lady, about the show. Voiced how I felt about the timing, lack of dealers and comic book guests and the crazy admission price. She seemed very interested in the feedback. This show had always been a lot better for about 1/2 the admission price. Hopefully this show is not a sign of things to come.

Still a good way to keep cool and kill a little of my time.

Any other boardies go? What were your thoughts?

Bonus show report...

Yesterday I went to one of my favorite monthly flea markets. Always, find some good stuff there. I missed a small stack of '50's comics that came out later. Mostly Disney ect but my buddy got a pretty nice Atomic War #1 and 2 as well as some decent Atlas War for a few bucks each. Damn, pays not to leave early.

It was hot and very humid. I got there at 5:30 AM when the trucks go in and it was 88 degrees. It is for the most part in a 3 floor parking garage. So between the heat, the humidity and the car fumes, it was pretty unbearable. I saw a couple of older folks about pass out. When I left a couple hours later it was 98 degrees!

Again, holiday weekend so it was pretty dealer light. The day, the heat and the fact there are two huge wildfires burning in the local mountains kept most people away. I was very happy though. I got a small group of VERY nice turn of the century colorful and graphic advertising tins which fly off the table for good money when I do shows, a mint and un-used Hopalong Cassidy paint book for 5 bucks and this wonderful 1920's very large pressed steel Turner roadster toy car. Just NEVER see these anymore out in the wild. Total about $125. for everything. Was home by 9:00.

hoppycolorbook1.jpg

carturnerroadster2.jpg

lucktstrikecan1.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

All in all, it was OK I guess. I saw hardly any local boardies. Probably figured it would be a bust and it kind of was. I was through buying in about an hour and spent another hour or so just people watching or jawing with a few guys.

I spoke to the promoter, a very nice lady, about the show. Voiced how I felt about the timing, lack of dealers and comic book guests and the crazy admission price. She seemed very interested in the feedback. This show had always been a lot better for about 1/2 the admission price. Hopefully this show is not a sign of things to come.

Still a good way to keep cool and kill a little of my time.

Any other boardies go? What were your thoughts?

Nice report, thanks.  Congrats on getting that Diary Secrets.  To be honest, as a ST fan, I would have been tempted by $300 to meet Shatner, a couple sigs and photo op.  Was CGC there?  I like their certified photos.

1 hour ago, n2wdw said:

Nice report, thanks.  Congrats on getting that Diary Secrets.  To be honest, as a ST fan, I would have been tempted by $300 to meet Shatner, a couple sigs and photo op.  Was CGC there?  I like their certified photos.

Yeah, both CGC and "the other guys" we're both there. 

I don't know. $300 for Shatner seems pretty stiff. He doesn't seem to really care about his fans. He's only there because of the money. And, a LOT of money. Not much different than a pole dance...