• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,077 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, both CGC and "the other guys" we're both there. 

I don't know. $300 for Shatner seems pretty stiff. He doesn't seem to really care about his fans. He's only there because of the money. And, a LOT of money. Not much different than a pole dance...

Shatner really raised his prices.  At 2013 NYCC, a personalized autograph was $50.  I missed out on the photo ops.  His autograph is illegible.

17 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, both CGC and "the other guys" we're both there. 

I don't know. $300 for Shatner seems pretty stiff. He doesn't seem to really care about his fans. He's only there because of the money. And, a LOT of money. Not much different than a pole dance...

Yeah, you're probably right.  And I already got these so that box is checked off.

Star Trek Shatner & Nimoy $170.jpg

Star Trek 20th Anniversary 5 Captains $350.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

Long Beach is a comic show in search of an identity; it has always seemed to struggle to understand what it wanted to be from the first show with wrestling matches going on on the floor. I've been to a few and they have been spotty to say the least. Ed Roberts is always the dealer highlight and I would make the trip just for him on some occasions. 

One year they had a great benefit party for the Heros Initiative; that was awesome. It's been a while thought since awesome and LBCC have been used in the same sentence.

Too bad as they have a great location and the fall timing might be good except not on the Labor Day weekend. Pricing seems ridiculous now too.

It's always been an OK con. Great location and venue. Close to LA and OC. Usually light on comic dealers but I always find stuff. Once in a while some decent guests. It's close by and I don't have to pay to get in so I keep going. It is usually end of Sept. This one creeped up on me being labor day weekend. Only a couple vintage comic dealers but I got a pass and went anyway.

The Sat admission went from around $25. last time to $45. this time (+$15. parking). This is off the hook steep for this show. I did notice a LOT more security including many metal detectors to get in. I figured this might be one of the reasons for the high price. There seemed to be quite a few people willing to pay though as the line was pretty long in the AM. 

I rarely go to the Feb show because it is so close to Terry's show and I figure I've seen all the dealers and they are probably picked pretty clean after Terry's so I don't know how that one is. 

I hope this one did OK for the promoter. I would hate to see it go away. The area needs shows like this. The SF show sounds very similar. Too far to go though if it is like this. Looking forward to Terry's show in a few months!

It looks like I might have been one of the few GA buyers there. Other than David Arnold who I didn't see and seems to have picked up everything I left to list on the bay.  :devil:  Hope Ed, Brad and the rest of the dealers did OK.

A little video my wife sent me from the local newspaper...

http://www.gazettes.com/entertainment/long-beach-comic-con/article_d143408a-9204-11e7-8542-bf60754d5c93.html

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, Robot Man said:

hoppycolorbook1.jpg

Fun report and cool items as usual, Robot Man.  (thumbsu

I picked up a stack of beater Dells for $10 over the weekend, as well as a few oddball GA books. There were several Donalds and a few Uncle Scrooges so they'll be fun to read. They've probably been reprinted, but there's nothing like that old comic smell...  I also scored a Woody Woodpecker coloring book, but I think Hoppy trumps Woody 90% of the time.

The lady I bought the Woody from had 3 different Gold Key Three Stooges issues, but she didn't know they were in the box and wanted to give them to an ailing friend of the family that looks like Curly (even though I pointed out that it wasn't Curly). She was really apologetic about it, and I assured her it wasn't an issue. I've gotten some good stuff from her in the past anyway, so it all evens out in the final analysis.

Edited by PopKulture

Was going through the horror boxes and doing some shuffling. I re-discovered this book. Forgot about it I guess. I remember getting it signed by Mr. Wood at one of the old San Diego Convention Center cons just before he passed away. I got this, Earthman on Venus and MAD #1 signed. He didn't even remember doing the book and was very surprised to see it. No doubt, because sadly, he was nursing a bad hangover. He didn't seem to be happy to be there at all. Very sad end for one of the most talented artists in the Golden Age. Nonetheless, I was honored to spend a few moments with him. RIP Wally!

comstarpresentations3a.jpg

comstarpresentations3b.jpg

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Was going through the horror boxes and doing some shuffling. I re-discovered this book. Forgot about it I guess. I remember getting it signed by Mr. Wood at one of the old San Diego Convention Center cons just before he passed away. I got this, Earthman on Venus and MAD #1 signed. He didn't even remember doing the book and was very surprised to see it. No doubt, because sadly, he was nursing a bad hangover. He didn't seem to be happy to be there at all. Very sad end for one of the most talented artists in the Golden Age. Nonetheless, I was honored to spend a few moments with him. RIP Wally!

comstarpresentations3a.jpg

comstarpresentations3b.jpg

Have wanted a copy of that for years now!

I don't usually go there but there is a local swap meet only on Saturday. Mostly bad garage sale stuff and storage locker cleaners. I saw Dave Hester from "Storage Wars" selling he finds in the lockers. What a tool! He really thinks he is some kind of a "star".

Anyway, it pays to look. I found this in a lady's jewelry case. She thought it was "costume jewelry" and charged me 2 bucks for it. Little did she know it was a Sky King "Mexican Aztec" premium ring. One of the better premium rings. I already had one but. for two bucks...

Sky King was an early 1950's TV show. He was a rancher in AZ. Along with his niece Penny and sidekick Clipper flew around in his airplane called "Songbird" around his Flying Crown ranch catching crooks and spies.

His show was sponsored by Peter Pan Peanut Butter. They offered many very cool, inventive and well made premiums. Here is the Mexican Aztec ring:

ringskyking.jpg

I generally keep most of my non-comic books on display. I have a "room" with several display cases and a couple more around the house. For the most part, like items are displayed together. I like things all neat and tidy where I can access them easily. You can ask Adamstrange or Yellowkid as they have both been over to the "junk pile".  Most of my non-collecting friends think I am crazy (but they always want to look...)

13 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I generally keep most of my non-comic books on display. I have a "room" with several display cases and a couple more around the house. For the most part, like items are displayed together. I like things all neat and tidy where I can access them easily. You can ask Adamstrange or Yellowkid as they have both been over to the "junk pile".  Most of my non-collecting friends think I am crazy (but they always want to look...)

For some reason I always had this picture of you in my head as living in some sort of secluded woodsy place with floor to ceiling ephemera. Kind of place American Pickers would come into and spend days digging.  I picture Mrs Robot making some biscuits and gravy and you on the screened in porch with a pulp on a side table while you whittle away on some balsa making a little robot statue.  

If this is not how it really is- I don't think I want to know.  Just to be clear- this picture in my head is not a negative view- it is a kind of utopia in my mind. 

Edited by Ricksneatstuff