• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,077 posts in this topic

Long ago I knew a comic book collector who lived in his car and kept his collection in its trunk.  Over the years  I think I have seen it all from top to bottom.  Robot Man lives in a very nice home with his collection displayed tastefully throughout and centered in his collection room.  He was a very gracious and knowledgeable host when I visited, and my only regret is that I had to leave before I saw everything.   

15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I generally keep most of my non-comic books on display. I have a "room" with several display cases and a couple more around the house. For the most part, like items are displayed together. I like things all neat and tidy where I can access them easily. You can ask Adamstrange or Yellowkid as they have both been over to the "junk pile".  Most of my non-collecting friends think I am crazy (but they always want to look...)

One time I showed my collection to a co-worker.  Normal people are shocked by my collection.  He said something like "Well Mike, I used to think you were normal."

Edited by n2wdw

21 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I don't usually go there but there is a local swap meet only on Saturday. Mostly bad garage sale stuff and storage locker cleaners. I saw Dave Hester from "Storage Wars" selling he finds in the lockers. What a tool! He really thinks he is some kind of a "star".

Anyway, it pays to look. I found this in a lady's jewelry case. She thought it was "costume jewelry" and charged me 2 bucks for it. Little did she know it was a Sky King "Mexican Aztec" premium ring. One of the better premium rings. I already had one but. for two bucks...

Sky King was an early 1950's TV show. He was a rancher in AZ. Along with his niece Penny and sidekick Clipper flew around in his airplane called "Songbird" around his Flying Crown ranch catching crooks and spies.

His show was sponsored by Peter Pan Peanut Butter. They offered many very cool, inventive and well made premiums. Here is the Mexican Aztec ring:

ringskyking.jpg

I remember watching Sky King, but I don't remember the premiums! Cool stuff, as usual.

On 9/23/2017 at 8:25 AM, Robot Man said:

I don't usually go there but there is a local swap meet only on Saturday. Mostly bad garage sale stuff and storage locker cleaners. I saw Dave Hester from "Storage Wars" selling he finds in the lockers. What a tool! He really thinks he is some kind of a "star".

Anyway, it pays to look. I found this in a lady's jewelry case. She thought it was "costume jewelry" and charged me 2 bucks for it. Little did she know it was a Sky King "Mexican Aztec" premium ring. One of the better premium rings. I already had one but. for two bucks...

Sky King was an early 1950's TV show. He was a rancher in AZ. Along with his niece Penny and sidekick Clipper flew around in his airplane called "Songbird" around his Flying Crown ranch catching crooks and spies.

His show was sponsored by Peter Pan Peanut Butter. They offered many very cool, inventive and well made premiums. Here is the Mexican Aztec ring:

ringskyking.jpg

Robot Man,  Wow, you have a "good eye."  You can spot these treasures from a mile away.

7 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

Robot Man,  Wow, you have a "good eye."  You can spot these treasures from a mile away.

Not quite a mile away. My eyes aren't what they used to be. The trick is to know what it is when you see it.

Sometimes, I think a flea market booth just talks to me...

20 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Not quite a mile away. My eyes aren't what they used to be. The trick is to know what it is when you see it.

Sometimes, I think a flea market booth just talks to me...

Don't be so modest. Your forum title speaks to more than just your post count (thumbsu

I haven't done a subset in a while. Having some work done on my house so stuff is extra "junky" around here. I just picked up a book that got me thinking about a subset I hadn't thought of... Weird Weddings!

Now most of us think of romance books or books like the one below. I aim to take this to a more twisted level...

Poor old Capt. Marvel. He got married and that was the end of his "adventures". (Last issue)

comcaptmarvel150.jpg