• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,075 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2022 at 1:33 PM, buttock said:

I don't know.  The guy was going to Penn premed.  The next year he told him he wouldn't support him if he transferred to Ohio State.  Sounds like the issues were clearly parental control. 

Any decent parent would move heaven and earth to prevent their child from going to Ohio State. :baiting:

On 1/24/2022 at 2:29 PM, Robot Man said:

And Bill Everett 

Agreed

It's a shame so little of his art survived.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:31 AM, Robot Man said:

Haven't done a new "subset" in a while. A recent purchase made me think about some others in my collection.

One summer I actually got a job in the Lake Tahoe morgue. I was up visiting a friend and needed a job. His mom did make up on the really departed. She got me and my friend part time jobs there.

Now before you say no way... It was a swing shift job from 3:00-11:00 PM. Allowing us to hit a few parties after work and sleep on the beach during the day. We didn't have to cut our hair (big thing back then) or wear uniforms. The best thing was the pay however. While, our friends were making $2. an hour working in restricted jobs dealing with the public, were were making $5. an hour working basically un-supervised.

What did we do? Mostly clean-up and maintanience. But the creepy part was we had to wash up the new guests as they came in. So we would tie our hair back, put on a smock, gloves and mask and scrub them top to bottom with a scrub brush and rinse them off. Then back to the cooler. Real creepy at first but mostly older folks that passed from natural causes and the occasional OD. But once in a while... But pretty quiet and easy overall. And lots of practical jokes and gallows humor.

Easily, the weirdest part time job I ever had and none of which is portrayed here except maybe the occasional card games...

Great story Bob and it reminded me of one summer when I worked as a civilian intern for the US Army on a base back east at the now closed Fort Monmouth. Most of my summer was spent trying to find something to do as they gave us nothing to occupy our time. Luckily the department had a TRS-80 computer so I wrote code for it to stay busy. About half way through the summer they asked all the interns if we wanted to work overtime as they wanted to spend the overtime budget so they could get it the next year (remember I had nothing to do.) Being college kids looking to make some dough of course we said yes. Our department cleared out at 4:30 like a stampede leaving us looking at each other wondering what to do. We finally decided playing cards for paperclips was the best way to earn our ill gotten pay!! What an experience; never went back there but I made some good dough that summer.

On 1/24/2022 at 2:50 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Great story Bob and it reminded me of one summer when I worked as a civilian intern for the US Army on a base back east at the now closed Fort Monmouth. Most of my summer was spent trying to find something to do as they gave us nothing to occupy our time. Luckily the department had a TRS-80 computer so I wrote code for it to stay busy. About half way through the summer they asked all the interns if we wanted to work overtime as they wanted to spend the overtime budget so they could get it the next year (remember I had nothing to do.) Being college kids looking to make some dough of course we said yes. Our department cleared out at 4:30 like a stampede leaving us looking at each other wondering what to do. We finally decided playing cards for paperclips was the best way to earn our ill gotten pay!! What an experience; never went back there but I made some good dough that summer.

I spent a summer at a large Air Force Base that employed 18,000 or so.

On my first day at work I was making conversation with my new colleagues and asked, "How many people work here?"  "Five or six", was the reply.  He was not one of them, using his large, angled drafting desk as a convenient sleeping platform for his afternoon nap.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:54 AM, adamstrange said:

On my first day at work I was making conversation with my new colleagues and asked, "How many people work here?"  "Five or six", was the reply.  He was not one of them, using his large, angled drafting desk as a convenient sleeping platform for his afternoon nap.

It's a tough environment for those who do work!

I do have some other funny memories. There was a guy with a limp who would get up from his desk and loudly say, "Walk this way!" as he trundled off somewhere.

There was also a fairly unattractive secretary who was going to get married for the third time and would routinely say that summer, "well if this one doesn't work three strikes and your out!"

Oh and my boss had a stack of Playboys in his bookcase!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 1/24/2022 at 3:31 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

It's a tough environment for those who do work!

My roommate had a permanent job there and the looks he got when was working on Friday afternoons...

On 1/24/2022 at 12:54 PM, adamstrange said:

One of my good friends interned at a missile base.  His job was to sit in a chair, outside, and watch the internet cable to make sure nobody physically tapped into it.  

On 1/24/2022 at 4:41 PM, buttock said:

One of my good friends interned at a missile base.  His job was to sit in a chair, outside, and watch the internet cable to make sure nobody physically tapped into it.  

How many saboteurs and infiltrators did he capture?

On 1/24/2022 at 3:41 PM, buttock said:

There is a guy I know who now OWNS a missile silo.  Last I had heard he was contemplating putting it up for sale.

PDG

On 1/24/2022 at 9:46 AM, buttock said:

I was just talking with someone yesterday about how their grandfather wouldn't let their dad back in the house after he went to college and grew his hair out.  As the parent of a 17 year old, rebellion sure has changed. 

Kids have been pizzing off their parents since the dawn of time.

My dad’s era was big band jazz and “zoot suits”, the ‘50’s brought leather jackets, pegged jeans and rock ‘n roll.

My era was long hair, hippies and louder rock ‘n roll. I remember my dad asking me and my brother why we wanted to look “homeless”? He was an LAPD photographer and probably took a lot of abuse from his cop buddies. God bless him though as he pretty much let us alone about it.

The late ‘70’s brought us goth and the punk rock look.

One of my daughters came home one day with half her head shaved and blue. My other one had several piercings. They liked Rap and Hip Hop.

What do 17 year olds do today? Is the pants below your cheeks and your designer skivvies showing at the top still a thing? 

My booth mate and fellow junk scrounging buddy Jim Maley. He is always worth checking out. Not a ton of stuff but he often turns up interesting stuff.

He is talking with local flipper David Arnold who is always buying and flipping anything he can get his hands on.

D36C75E6-1C92-4709-A356-8A9D0879A815.jpeg