• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2022 at 3:15 PM, Robot Man said:

Too bad we’re aren’t in the same area Jim. We would probably have fun hanging out. 

Yes .... your wife would probably end up hating me :bigsmile:

I haven't been to California since the "Summer of Love" .... Buck list item for me is Terry's show. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2/7/2022 at 12:34 PM, jimjum12 said:

Yes .... your wife would probably end up hating me :bigsmile:

I haven't been to California since the "Summer of Love" .... Buck list item for me is Terry's show. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Probably not, she’s used to my comic and junk friends, the motorcycle friends not so much. 

This place has changed a lot since those days. We have thought of moving but the pluses still out weigh the negatives for us. And heck, I’m a native and still love what this state has to offer. It is currently pushing 80 today. Shorts, t-shirt and bare feet.

I talked to Terry yesterday. He says he still would like to do his show again next year. Probably, the best one day show in the country. It would have been yesterday…

Sitting waiting for my wife’s doctor appointment, I saw this. Was painted on the corner of a dumpster.

I wonder how many people walking by have ever heard this name. Heck, there are probably many on these boards who don’t know the name. 

Weird to see it painted there…

D11C7E6D-4106-4BFB-AEB7-1287B92D619B.jpeg

A fun little package arrived today. It popped up on the bay and I knew I had to have it.

Mostly during the 1940’s-1950’s High Schools and small colleges often adopted comic book and newspaper characters as mascots for events like home coming and graduation. Most often, they were lifted without permission. Sometimes, they might ad a “copyright” just to protect themselves like this one.

They were usually produced in very small quantities. They were given out for one night affairs then lost or pitched. It was a practice mostly in the upper East Coast. I see most from PA.

I have a small group. All are ones I have only seen once. Walter Koenig is one of the biggest character pinback collectors along with the boards very own @mlansdown. Walter probably has twice as many as I do. I have none of his and he has none of mine.

I always get excited when I see one. 

905B05A7-2810-411E-9503-75D75DBE61EF.jpeg

On 2/12/2022 at 5:04 PM, Robot Man said:

And, being a MAD collector, these are two big favorites. From 1958 and 1960. I know most of the big MAD collectors and none of these guys have ever seen either one of these. Including Jim Halperin. 

59F66F77-B2E0-4593-9AC8-736E504E8FEA.jpeg

I’m a huge fan of your Erasmus High pin Bob as that school in Brooklyn is across the street from the old Dutch Reformed Church where my ancestors arrived in this country. The cross streets of Flatbush and Church have seen many changes.

On 2/12/2022 at 5:53 PM, Robot Man said:

A fun little package arrived today. It popped up on the bay and I knew I had to have it.

Mostly during the 1940’s-1950’s High Schools and small colleges often adopted comic book and newspaper characters as mascots for events like home coming and graduation. Most often, they were lifted without permission. Sometimes, they might ad a “copyright” just to protect themselves like this one.

They were usually produced in very small quantities. They were given out for one night affairs then lost or pitched. It was a practice mostly in the upper East Coast. I see most from PA.

I have a small group. All are ones I have only seen once. Walter Koenig is one of the biggest character pinback collectors along with the boards very own @mlansdown. Walter probably has twice as many as I do. I have none of his and he has none of mine.

I always get excited when I see one. 

905B05A7-2810-411E-9503-75D75DBE61EF.jpeg

Beautiful example!  If I had seen this one on eBay, I would have cost one of us some money.  :) 

My buddy Hud Baer loves these high school comic pinbacks, and he has a small website dedicated to this collecting corner:

https://hudscollection.weebly.com/

On 2/14/2022 at 11:05 PM, mlansdown said:

Beautiful example!  If I had seen this one on eBay, I would have cost one of us some money.  :) 

My buddy Hud Baer loves these high school comic pinbacks, and he has a small website dedicated to this collecting corner:

https://hudscollection.weebly.com/

Wow, what a mind-blowing collection! He must live on the East Coast. They obviously turn up more there than way out here. 

My favorites are the comic strip and comic book characters. Would love to find those Cat Woman, Sheena, Terry & the Pirates, and that amazing Don Martin one!

Obviously, a real advanced niche collector. 

Do you have any you'd care to share?

Well, the search continues. 

On 2/15/2022 at 6:38 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, what a mind-blowing collection! He must live on the East Coast. They obviously turn up more there than way out here. 

My favorites are the comic strip and comic book characters. Would love to find those Cat Woman, Sheena, Terry & the Pirates, and that amazing Don Martin one!

Obviously, a real advanced niche collector. 

Do you have any you'd care to share?

Well, the search continues. 

I donated several of my pins to Hud's collection, but I still have 5-6 examples that feature comic strip characters.  Everything I have is shown on Hud's website - he has the best collection of this genre that I know about.  It's cool that you like these pins - your junkpile is indeed wide and deep!