• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2022 at 1:53 PM, Robot Man said:

I did most of my Graphic Design degree work at Long Beach State. I got married and had to go to work. I went back for a few classes at AC to finish my Bachelors Degree a year later.

Believe me, I was FAR from “affluent”. I got a little financial aid and veterans aid but paid most of it myself.

It was a very worthwhile experience and opened a lot of doors when I graduated. 

Interesting Bob. I had actually worked for two and a half years down in the South Bay for aerospace before I decided to go up there. I saved my money to attend and it was expensive but I had made enough to do it. Since I already had a bachelor's degree I didn't need another one but it also opened the doors to me for some great opportunities. I also used to go there at night when I was working; quite the commute from the South Bay after working all day. Some Saturdays I would go to Long Beach State in the morning and do some life drawing. Fun days!

Bob, I decided to scratch that flea itch this morning and got up a bit early (not super early) and headed out to look over the treasures at PCC. It was a little quieter than last month but still interesting. Comics are worth looking at for about three minutes and always picked over so I don't spend much time on those but I look at other things instead; like models, books and paper ephemera. So I was perusing some paper boxes this morning and first found some maps. Maps are still underappreciated and sometimes have great artwork on the front. I picked up this batch of six for a buck apiece. I also like looking at the interiors and seeing how things have changed over the years. For a buck apiece these are great fun.

Maps.thumb.jpg.3d4bd58fcacf584d1ee37ac323135949.jpg

But then what I got really excited about was finding the following correspondence at the bottom of a box from Paul Gringle who was the syndicated cartoonist on "Out Our Way." It's basically a proposal for a Museum of Comic Art from 1970. The sketch proposals are Xeroxes and not originals but still really fun. There is correspondence to syndicates and also to a developer working on the project. While this never came to fruition it's a really interesting piece of history for the appreciation of comic art as more than throw away culture.

ComicMuseum.thumb.jpg.6d84ac29a46e2a6c1650c2b9446a6e8c.jpg

I love finding stuff like this.

On 3/6/2022 at 11:06 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

When I was a kid we would stay at Holiday Inns on vacations.  For some reason (collector mentality?) I saved the brochures and directories.  Here's a directory and Do Not Disturb/Maid Clean the Room hanger from 1966...

HolidayInn-DoNotDisturb2b.jpg

I've got some interesting paper ephemera but I must admit I never thought of saving the Do not Disturb sign! That's a rarity for sure!

On 3/6/2022 at 11:25 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

When you go thru stuff your grandparents saved you find some interesting things...

MarineLand.jpg

Marineland is now the home of Terranea a high end time share. It has a great bar on the beach that has a display of Dell Sea Hunt comics covers. I guess Sea Hunt was filmed in the area. Great place for a drink.

1868191021_SeaHunt1.thumb.jpg.c90d8fe1ef287c65f59be26735db13bf.jpg681848778_SeaHunt2.thumb.jpg.769537731f8ced8b4b753e7b610f6b19.jpg

On 3/6/2022 at 11:42 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I have a bunch of movie posters and prints too.  I especially sought these out because that's my mom on the poster and in the still from the movie...

=Fam-Mom-DSCN3186.JPG

=Fam-Mom-1956-crime-in-the-streets-original-film-title-crime-in-the-streets-f6e7na.jpg

Was that your mom in General Hospital?  She has an impressive list of roles!

Wyoming's slogan isn't that exciting, but I guess it beats the more realistic "Cold, bleak nothingness of despair".

Edited by adamstrange

On 3/6/2022 at 10:45 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Bob, I decided to scratch that flea itch this morning and got up a bit early (not super early) and headed out to look over the treasures at PCC. It was a little quieter than last month but still interesting. Comics are worth looking at for about three minutes and always picked over so I don't spend much time on those but I look at other things instead; like models, books and paper ephemera. So I was perusing some paper boxes this morning and first found some maps. Maps are still underappreciated and sometimes have great artwork on the front. I picked up this batch of six for a buck apiece. I also like looking at the interiors and seeing how things have changed over the years. For a buck apiece these are great fun.

But then what I got really excited about was finding the following correspondence at the bottom of a box from Paul Gringle who was the syndicated cartoonist on "Out Our Way." It's basically a proposal for a Museum of Comic Art from 1970. The sketch proposals are Xeroxes and not originals but still really fun. There is correspondence to syndicates and also to a developer working on the project. While this never came to fruition it's a really interesting piece of history for the appreciation of comic art as more than throw away culture.

ComicMuseum.thumb.jpg.6d84ac29a46e2a6c1650c2b9446a6e8c.jpg

I love finding stuff like this.

Fun stuff! I too love finding interesting ephemera. One of my favorite things are old matchbooks. Always around and always very cheap. Here is some of a nice collection of pre war ones I found years ago. 

matchbooksweirdstuff.jpg

matchbooksbeer.jpg

matchbookscars.jpg

matchbooksoil.jpg

matchbooksplanes.jpg

matchbookssoftdrinks.jpg

matchbookssports.jpg

matchbookstrains.jpg

matchbookstrucks.jpg

On 3/6/2022 at 11:44 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Marineland is now the home of Terranea a high end time share. It has a great bar on the beach that has a display of Dell Sea Hunt comics covers. I guess Sea Hunt was filmed in the area. Great place for a drink.

1868191021_SeaHunt1.thumb.jpg.c90d8fe1ef287c65f59be26735db13bf.jpg681848778_SeaHunt2.thumb.jpg.769537731f8ced8b4b753e7b610f6b19.jpg

I remember my parents taking us there in the very late 1950's. Fun place!