• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,040 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2022 at 4:26 PM, Robot Man said:

I have a vague memory of all of them. Engineer Bill had a schtick about drinking your milk on a green light. Tom Hatten showed Popeye cartoons. Romper Room was kind of lame. I can barely remember the Sherriff John birthday song but sure it would come back pretty quick. 

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 4/18/2022 at 5:50 PM, Robot Man said:

Ha, I almost feel 5 again.We have too much time on our hands huh Brian?

You might.  I haven't got enough time, but I'm taking a break from the 87 things I need to do right now... :whatthe:  This is my busy season when comics get put on the back burner for a few months.  :cry:

I remember liking Captain Kangaroo as a kid back east; but that was a morning show. I don't remember many local afternoon shows but I'm sure they existed and there were plenty of cartoons on to watch. Much later in the late seventies there appeared this nutty guy Uncle Floyd on the local stations. He did a wacky kids/adult show we used to watch in college. He also always wore these loud plaid jackets that were kind of in vogue in the seventies (hey it was New Jersey!) which led to us nicknaming my college roommate Uncle Floyd for a bit as he sported a similar loud jacket on occasion.

Ahh..... the seventies!

If you are lucky enough to still have a living mom, call her or give her a hug and thank her. I miss mine. Lost her when I was 19. She instilled in me many things including a love of art and music and yes, collecting. I’m sure she would have been happy how I turned out…

And no, she and I aren’t Yankee fans just thought this was cool. 

F1021765-A3F1-465D-A399-D172143D1EBA.jpeg

On 4/8/2022 at 12:20 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

The flea markets back east were over flowing with Popular Mechanics as a kid. Mechanix Illustrated too I suppose. I never bought them but was always intrigued by the cover illustrations of some of the older issues which promised a future that sure didn't exist. Mainly I used to think why does everyone have Popular Mechanics and no one has comics!!

Too many Moms threw them out.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:42 PM, Robot Man said:

You bet. I love sharing them.

No, one I am missing. I knew about it but never seen it pictured. Thanks for posting it. I didn't know about the membership certificate. I don't think even Ted Hake has ever offered on for sale. Think about it. The book lasted 2 issues and was kind of an "off" publisher. How many kids ever sent away for it? 

Kind of like the US Jones Cadets. Lasted 3 issues. I know of one button in Walter Kronig's collection and a complete kit that last I heard, belonged to Steve Geppi. I don't have that either. This is a photo of Walter's that I snapped on one of our mutual visits. 

This is RARE junk indeed!

Centaur wise, there is only one more item I know of and I do have. This hat.Never seen another one. Anybody have an issue with it being offered? 

star ranger hat.jpg

That hat kind of looks like the shape of a Tom Mix hat

I was there for primarily GA. A couple of dealers had some but short supply. Lots of dollar box divers and young flippers looking for keys to flip. They even had a DJ blasting hip hop. I felt a little out of my wheelhouse but it was tolerable. Some decent books in the room. 

2F3209E3-C646-48F5-A2B1-65E72F2AA232.jpeg

CE60E1CA-2A67-4328-A9B4-7CCAB7D63CE9.jpeg

6FF71CB6-975F-4333-B7C3-9DE61534BB82.jpeg

At any show, there is always “that guy”. This is Ivan. He had a fun box of cool old books. I picked up a few plus a couple nice WWII books. Very cool guy. Had a few real nice big books but as he told me, those were his “I don’t want to sell them”. prices. 

A92B884A-4154-4290-976A-F8C6F491E87D.jpeg

A2FA4FC9-746E-4868-BC69-F09F332F8918.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man