• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,040 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I remember listening to Dodger games at night (from San Francisco) broadcast on KFI (I think it was).  The signal used to waver a bit and my brother and I would fiddle with the radio dial to try to bring it in more clearly. 

If Koufax would go 2-0 on a batter, my brother would yell:  "It's a rally!"

Baseball on the radio. :cloud9:

2 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

I am still a Giants fan and a Robot Man fan. :banana:

and a Sqeggs fan. :whee:

I'll bet last Sunday's game aged you a little more. Man, you had it and another Dodger rookie made his first appearance with a walk off double to shock the Giants. I wish I had kept that picture of Bumgartner's face. He thought they had it...

And me love you long time too! 

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Baseball on the radio. :cloud9:

A few years ago I was in Hawaii. I took the rental car and went across the island to a comic store. On the way back, I took a shortcut across a cane field. All I could see was the road and sugar cane. I tried tuning in the radio and then I heard it. The magical voice of Vince Scully. Brought me right home. It was wonderful. I love baseball on the radio too!

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I remember listening to Dodger games at night (from San Francisco) broadcast on KFI (I think it was).  The signal used to waver a bit and my brother and I would fiddle with the radio dial to try to bring it in more clearly. 

If Koufax would go 2-0 on a batter, my brother would yell:  "It's a rally!"

Early San Francisco Giants Radio was on KSFO through 1978.  Remember 1962, when the Giants and Dodgers were tied at the end of the season and played a nasty three game playoff series.  Tied one game each, during the third game, I remember Stan Williams walking in the go ahead run (the late Jimmy Davenport).

R-3436031-1331690850.jpeg.jpg.1370bc4c6f41a501b9e44767b0ecacff.jpg

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I'll bet last Sunday's game aged you a little more. Man, you had it and another Dodger rookie made his first appearance with a walk off double to shock the Giants. I wish I had kept that picture of Bumgartner's face. He thought they had it...

And me love you long time too! 

The Giants pretty much lost their mojo after the middle of last year.  Since then, they have had inconsistent hitting, bad fielding, bad starting pitching, bad middle relief, and a horrendous closer, who lead the league in blown saves.  Even though they won the wildcard game last year by shutting out the Mets, their relief pitching blew the fourth game of the NLDS, despite having a 5-2 lead in ninth inning.  The Cubbies were a team of destiny. 

When the Giants won their World Series, what I saw was stellar starting pitching, fantastic middle relief, ok closer, timely hitting, and great fielding, unlike the power teams of the Mays/McCovey era, Clark/Mitchell era, and Barry era.

Keep in mind that having the best record during the regular season does not guarantee a World Series Championship.  Dodgers need to start resting their starters for the long playoff run.  Getting Darvish was a good idea, even though he gave up ten earned runs in 3 and two thirds innings in his last start.

I watched a ton of baseball and read plenty of baseball history.  I am known as "The Statistician."

Edited by BitterOldMan

10 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

Early San Francisco Giants Radio was on KSFO through 1978.  Remember 1962, when the Giants and Dodgers were tied at the end of the season and played a nasty three game playoff series.  Tied one game each, during the third game, I remember Stan Williams walking in the go ahead run (the late Jimmy Davenport).

R-3436031-1331690850.jpeg.jpg.1370bc4c6f41a501b9e44767b0ecacff.jpg

Right.  KSFO was the Giants station in SF.  My brother and I were trying to listen to Dodger games on the LA station, which I think was KFI.  It usually came in at night just barely well enough to listen to -- of course, we were 400 miles away.  Given how heated those 1960s pennant races were, we wanted a chance to follow the Dodger games as well as the Giants games. 

I can remember some of the lyrics to the KSFO Giants fight song, played during station breaks. Something like:

Listen to the Giants on KSFO. Cheer for the Giants and light the spark.

With the San Francisco Giants, it's bye-bye baby.

Of course, "bye-bye baby" was Russ Hodges's home run call.

Danny Kaye -- a huge Dodger fan -- recorded a comic song about the Giants-Dodgers rivalry during that epic 1962 pennant race. I'd love to track that down. Of course, @Robot Man probably has the 45!

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Right.  KSFO was the Giants station in SF.  My brother and I were trying to listen to Dodger games on the LA station, which I think was KFI.  It usually came in at night just barely well enough to listen to -- of course, we were 400 miles away.  Given how heated those 1960s pennant races were, we wanted a chance to follow the Dodger games as well as the Giants games. 

I can remember some of the lyrics to the KSFO Giants fight song, played during station breaks. Something like:

Listen to the Giants on KSFO. Cheer for the Giants and light the spark.

With the San Francisco Giants, it's bye-bye baby.

Of course, "bye-bye baby" was Russ Hodges's home run call.

Danny Kaye -- a huge Dodger fan -- recorded a comic song about the Giants-Dodgers rivalry during that epic 1962 pennant race. I'd love to track that down. Of course, @Robot Man probably has the 45!

I got a ton of vinyl but sadly not that one...

13 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

The Giants pretty much lost their mojo after the middle of last year.  Since then, they have had inconsistent hitting, bad fielding, bad starting pitching, bad middle relief, and a horrendous closer, who lead the league in blown saves.  Even though they won the wildcard game last year by shutting out the Mets, their relief pitching blew the fourth game of the NLDS, despite having a 5-2 lead in ninth inning.  The Cubbies were a team of destiny. 

When the Giants won their World Series, what I saw was stellar starting pitching, fantastic middle relief, ok closer, timely hitting, and great fielding, unlike the power teams of the Mays/McCovey era, Clark/Mitchell era, and Barry era.

Keep in mind that having the best record during the regular season does not guarantee a World Series Championship.  Dodgers need to start resting their starters for the long playoff run.  Getting Darvish was a good idea, even though he gave up ten earned runs in 3 and two thirds innings in his last start.

I watched a ton of baseball and read plenty of baseball history.  I am known as "The Statistician."

I'm well aware of the regular season record vs the play offs. I'm enjoying every game day to day right now. We have been in the playoffs for the past 4 years and haven't gotton the job done. We took the Cubs to the wall and lost last year. Every year we get closer. This is a different team though. I am not being cocky or predicting anything. But we have a far better chance than most.  :wishluck:

And, I am no math whiz or statistician but our numbers look pretty good...

32 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I got a ton of vinyl but sadly not that one...

Believe it or not, I just found it on iTunes:  "D-O-D-G-E-R-S Song (Oh Really? - No, O'Malley)"

Great fun!  Been decades since I last heard it.

One historical note:  Kaye uses the old Brooklyn Dodgers nickname "Bums."  Didn't realize that was ever used for them in LA, even in those early years.

Fun flea market find yesterday. 1941 Radio Orphan Annie Secret Guard Brochure and "Mysto Snapper". Was buried in a box of misc paper for $10. Needless to say, I was all over it. The guy says he has a bunch more of this stuff including the very rare glow in the dark Captain's badge. Needless to say, I will be hitting him up early next time!

Oh, I got about 75 Marvel Age Bronze books in real nice shape for a buck a piece. A couple of keys but mostly very nice box stock for my next show. Swill as far as I'm concerned, but was glad to scoop them up. And the Annie piece is for my collection since I don't have one!

orphananniesecretguard1.jpg

orphananniesecretguard2.jpg

orphananniesecretguard3.jpg

I posted this over in Events a while ago but since it is now a week away, I thought maybe I'd post it here too...

All American Collectors Show Glendale CA Aug 18-19

I thought I would throw this up to any LA collectors that have a spare Friday or Saturday on this date. A real fun show full of toys, advertising and other collectibles. It is NOT a comic book show, but there are dealers that find them and bring them to this show. The "Paul" GA-SA comic collection was discovered at this is show. No promises on comics specificaly, but TONS of cool eye candy. I have a table there every show and always look forward to it!

http://www.theglendaleshow.com/

Edited by Robot Man
date needed

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, Robot Man said:

Fun flea market find yesterday. 1941 Radio Orphan Annie Secret Guard Brochure and "Mysto Snapper". Was buried in a box of misc paper for $10. Needless to say, I was all over it. The guy says he has a bunch more of this stuff including the very rare glow in the dark Captain's badge. Needless to say, I will be hitting him up early next time!

Oh, I got about 75 Marvel Age Bronze books in real nice shape for a buck a piece. A couple of keys but mostly very nice box stock for my next show. Swill as far as I'm concerned, but was glad to scoop them up. And the Annie piece is for my collection since I don't have one!

orphananniesecretguard1.jpg

orphananniesecretguard2.jpg

orphananniesecretguard3.jpg

The LOA 1941 and 1942 Secret Guard manual, decoders (paper in these two years), and related premiums are much harder to find than the 1935-1940 items that were made in larger numbers with various forms of metal decoders.  This is a great find, and it sounds like there might be some more good stuff ahead!

When the little transistor radios first came out, many of them had an ear plug on a 36" wire.  When school started and the races were going down to the end, I put the radio in my pocket, ran the wire up through my shirt, sat in the back corner of the room, and listened to the games during class.  It was like eating forbidden fruit, and it made the games even better!

Hey RM, not too far back you shared some really rare early Looney Tunes Merrie Melodies related pins. I've been combing through past posts and can't find it anywhere. 

In your leisure can you please repost them? 

8 hours ago, sagii said:

Hey RM, not too far back you shared some really rare early Looney Tunes Merrie Melodies related pins. I've been combing through past posts and can't find it anywhere. 

In your leisure can you please repost them? 

Photophuckit ate 'em up...

But here they are again my long eared friend with a bonus...

bugsbunnypremiums.jpg

bugsbunny.jpg

Mailman brought me a cool package today...

Back story, I saw these on the bay for $10. each with no reserve and free postage! Problem is the seller was from Venezula and had very low feedback. I passed, twice, then I figured it might be worth a gamble for $20. + I have PayPal "protection". I took a chance and was the only bidder. A week and a half later the FedEx man pulls up to my house with a package. Inside were these. Both from 1935 and printed in France.

I don't read French but don't really have to with this character. You can easily figure out the story by the pictures alone. Pat Sullivan was a genus in story telling. I'm sure my little friend Jimmers could read them to me but I think I can figure it out.

Never heard of these and probably never will again. Very happy I took the chance. This seller will be getting a glowing feedback later tonight!

felixfrenchbook1.jpg

felixfrenchbook2.jpg

felixfrenchbook3.jpg

felixfrenchbook4.jpg

Very cool Bob!

You're right,the top cartoon is pretty much the picture tells the story

In the second cartoon,the 'whites' in Chinatown have been put under surveillance lol not sure why though!

I love the look of Felix in the top cover,typical cat mischief!

I've some French Felix books as well,with thick cardboard covers,but my earliest is beginning of the fifties.

What a score!