• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,040 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Here is my humble table. There is so much very pricey high end stuff in the room that I took a bit of a different approach this year. I brought a lot of affordable stuff in the $20-$300. range. I figured, there were a lot of folks who just wouldn't pay big money and I think I got it right. I had stellar sales. I brought a few big "high end" items and sold them to dealers for full asking before the show opened so I made out real well overall.

IMG_1186.jpg

Thanks for posting all the pics. That show looks like a lot of fun,

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

My good buddy Randy always shows up with the most odd and cool stuff priced to sell. One of the most fun booths in the place! He had one of the coolest signs I've ever seen. It was for a trailer park in the '40's-'50's with an old car and an early airstream trailer pictured on it's beautiful porcelean front. It sold so fast I didn't get a picture...

IMG_1211.jpg

Cool pics and play by play RM! :applause:some really nice vintage pieces, looks like a fun show. Please do follow up for the next one. Only wish there was a NYC chapter ....

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

IMG_1189.jpg

Man, not a clunker in sight, and a great Plastic Man tease at the back.

Great report and pics, Robot Man - the next best thing to being there. I would've gone crazy digging thru all the boxes and ogling all the display cases.

Were there any young people there, or was mostly us greyhairs? I'd like to think somebody will appreciate all this stuff twenty or thirty years from now.

4 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Man, not a clunker in sight, and a great Plastic Man tease at the back.

Great report and pics, Robot Man - the next best thing to being there. I would've gone crazy digging thru all the boxes and ogling all the display cases.

Were there any young people there, or was mostly us greyhairs? I'd like to think somebody will appreciate all this stuff twenty or thirty years from now.

Mostly geezers. But many are still buying actively. There were several younger guys though. One of my friends from work set up with more modern robots, Star Wars, etc. He did OK and said he will come back and tell his friends. So, there is still a little hope...

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:32 PM, Robot Man said:

Mostly geezers. But many are still buying actively. There were several younger guys though. One of my friends from work set up with more modern robots, Star Wars, etc. He did OK and said he will come back and tell his friends. So, there is still a little hope...

All we need are gateway hobbies, something to get the little buggers today to start collecting.

Once they're bitten with the bug of collecting, of organizing their stuff, and learning about the history within, and sharing the experience with others, then we'll have new generations of collectors. I think going forward it's going to be smaller and smaller, but not non-existent. My reasoning is that there are fewer gateway hobbies - not coins, not stamps, fewer into sports cards, and yes fewer into comics. Of course the growth in kids reliving their Pokémon days or reconnecting with their youth through fidget spinners in twenty years might offset that, but I doubt it.

And with each new generation, there will be some percentage of them, however small, that branch out. For instance, I didn't grow up with the Yellow Kid or Tom Mix, nor Captain Tim
Healy or Clyde Beatty for that matter, and I definitely missed all those 50's PCH and Atlas books the first go-around, but that doesn't dampen by appreciation (and lust!) for them now.

So, yes, there is still a little hope. (thumbsu

OK, guys, I've officially died and gone to the great comic book museum in the sky...

I had the great honor of seeing stuff that literally burned the retinas of my eyes.

I went over to a good friend house today to help him with a project he is working on. While there, I got to see one of the best collections I have ever seen. I told him about the boards and we looked at it. I suggested that he sign up and come here for some help. Hopefully, he will. I'm sure if he does, he will be given the warm board welcome that I got. He is also an "old timer" that has gotten to do things in collecting we can only dream about. We need more people like this. I might add, a real "true collector" with an intense love of the medium. And he is also one of the most modest collectors I can think of.

I asked him if I could take a few photos to share here and he kindly said OK. I won't out of respect, show you any more. I will let him do that if he choses.

First up, for guys like Rick and me who love Albert B Feldstein, I give you this. This was Feldstein's pencil study of a book that was sadly never published. Bill squelched it. How cool would this series have been?

ecartpeggy.jpg

15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

OK, guys, I've officially died and gone to the great comic book museum in the sky...

I had the great honor of seeing stuff that literally burned the retinas of my eyes.

I went over to a good friend house today to help him with a project he is working on. While there, I got to see one of the best collections I have ever seen. I told him about the boards and we looked at it. I suggested that he sign up and come here for some help. Hopefully, he will. I'm sure if he does, he will be given the warm board welcome that I got. He is also an "old timer" that has gotten to do things in collecting we can only dream about. We need more people like this. I might add, a real "true collector" with an intense love of the medium. And he is also one of the most modest collectors I can think of.

I asked him if I could take a few photos to share here and he kindly said OK. I won't out of respect, show you any more. I will let him do that if he choses.

First up, for guys like Rick and me who love Albert B Feldstein, I give you this. This was Feldstein's pencil study of a book that was sadly never published. Bill squelched it. How cool would this series have been?

ecartpeggy.jpg

That's true EC history right there. 

18 hours ago, Robot Man said:

ecartpeggy.jpg

:luhv::x:x I am crying it is so beautiful!

18 hours ago, Robot Man said:

ecartpeggy.jpg

It looks to me like Bill made a mistake. 

On 8/26/2017 at 8:17 PM, Robot Man said:

Went into an antique store today while driving somewhere and found these. Fun find!

archie1962calendar.jpg

archierollerskatingpostcard.jpg

Great find RM, and very cool stuff from your friend. Hope he does join up; if RM is dreaming about what he just saw on his visit , that must be one helluva collection :tink:

46 minutes ago, sagii said:

Great find RM, and very cool stuff from your friend. Hope he does join up; if RM is dreaming about what he just saw on his visit , that must be one helluva collection :tink:

It is, oh it is. I was so hung up on the art, I hardly noticed the rest. He would hand me a stack of stuff and I could barely focus on it.