• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JAMES BOND: NO TIME TO DIE starring Daniel Craig (2021)
2 2

466 posts in this topic

Let's make sure we put this in the right perspective so some folks don't use this to stir the pot.

James Bond 25 ‘to introduce FEMALE 007’ replacing Daniel Craig in ‘popcorn-dropping’ scene

Reports claim that an early scene from the film will show M (Ralph Fiennes) summoning Bond to his office to drop the bombshell. He will be told that the character played by Lashana Lynch - who recently became a huge fan favourite in Captain Marvel - is replacing him in the secret service. A source told the Mail: "There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007', and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman.

"It’s a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he’s been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman."

The paper’s source adds that Bond will then be brought out of retirement in Jamaica when he’s needed to thwart a “global crisis”, presumably involving Rami Malek’s villain.

So in the film it sounds like James Bond had retired, leading to someone taking on the 007 code name before he is called back out of retirement.

Next topic? :popcorn:

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Let's make sure we put this in the right perspective so some folks don't use this to stir the pot.

James Bond 25 ‘to introduce FEMALE 007’ replacing Daniel Craig in ‘popcorn-dropping’ scene

So in the film it sounds like James Bond had retired, leading to someone taking on the 007 code name before he is called back out of retirement.

Next topic? :popcorn:

Well - according to the books, only one agent can have the numerical designation at a time -- so, if Bond returns it means the female 007 has been killed.

Some fun facts:

• The known 00 designations go up to 13
  • 008 and 0013 were the first female 00s
  • Four different 004s have been killed (in the films Octopussy and The World Is Not Enough, as well as in two in the various comic book stories)

The paper’s source adds that Bond will then be brought out of retirement in Jamaica when he’s needed to thwart a “global crisis”, presumably involving Rami Malek’s villain.

Interesting that James Bond will reportedly be in Jamaica as other sources say Lynch's character's name will be Jamilla Bondi and will be incognito as a Jamaican house maid.

STAN.jpg

Edited by @therealsilvermane

9 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Interesting that James Bond will reportedly be in Jamaica as other sources say Lynch's character's name will be Jamilla Bondi and will be incognito as a Jamaican house maid.

STAN.jpg

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Eureka!

5D6A1DDC-34FF-4374-B3F0-A5237C30CD22.jpeg

Surprised you didn't post this in the #CaptainMarvel thread.

(:

37 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Well - according to the books, only one agent can have the numerical designation at a time -- so, if Bond returns it means the female 007 has been killed.

Some fun facts:

• The known 00 designations go up to 13
  • 008 and 0013 were the first female 00s
  • Four different 004s have been killed (in the films Octopussy and The World Is Not Enough, as well as in two in the various comic book stories)

Now that I never picked up on. Interesting.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Or is it possible James Bond can come out of retirement without the 007 designation? Kind of like an active field consultant? I figure we've gotten to a point where black people don't always have to die in the movie. How refreshing might it be if Lashana Lynch's alleged 007 character makes it to through a Bond movie alive? 

5 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Or is it possible James Bond can come out of retirement without the 007 designation? Kind of like an active field consultant? I figure we've gotten to a point where black people don't always have to die in the movie. How refreshing might it be if Lashana Lynch's alleged 007 character makes it to through a Bond movie alive? 

They could go with the agent-consultant concept and spice it up a little more he is actually not officially part of the agency.

But what's with the 'black people don't always have to die in the movie' line? That comes across so extreme, it reminds me of your Shazam Asian racism claim. It really doesn't have to go to that extreme to talk about these movies. Speaking of which, Darla Dudley didn't die in Shazam. And neither did Maria Rambeau in Captain Marvel. So what's your extreme point again?

But what's with the 'black people don't always have to die in the movie' line? That comes across so extreme, it reminds me of your Shazam Asian racism claim. It really doesn't have to go to that extreme to talk about these movies. Speaking of which, Darla Dudley didn't die in Shazam. And neither did Maria Rambeau in Captain Marvel. So what's your extreme point again?

That Hollywood is just getting over its inherently racist/sexist system in the portrayal of non-white folks and women in its movies.

Kudos to Marvel Studios and DC for helping lead the way in giving African-Americans and women a more prominent role in the sand box, but it's unexpected coming from a James Bond movie, a franchise so old-fashioned that Judy Dench's M had to call out Mr Bond in one movie for being a 20th century sexist pig.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

21 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:
21 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

That Hollywood is just getting over its inherently racist/sexist system in the portrayal of non-white folks and women in its movies.

Kudos to Marvel Studios and DC for helping lead the way in giving African-Americans and women a more prominent role in the sand box, but it's unexpected coming from a James Bond movie, a franchise so old-fashioned that Judy Dench's M had to call out Mr Bond in one movie for being a 20th century sexist pig.

It didn't occur to me that Lynch would die in this movie (because she's black or otherwise), I just didn't think it would matter either way because casting her was clickbait as a talking point (welcome in my opinion, but self-serving clickbait nonetheless), AND that either way the whole thing would be rebooted again in about 5 years with a new Bond regardless, black, white, male, female, whatever.  Didn't see shazaam

I think they just couldn't find a bond they wanted to turn the franchise over to for whatever reason, and they're trying to buy some time until whoever they like becomes old enough or someone cool emerges.

21 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Although I agree Hollywood has not been the best representative of an accepting culture, implying it just realized this now and is finally treating minorities as leads and heroes instead of background actors to be tossed around and killed off ignores films over the past 20 years like Spawn (Michael Jai White), Blade (Wesley Snipes), Unbreakable (newer fellow - Samuel L. Jackson), X-Men 2000 (Halle Berry), Men In Black (Will Smith was a key part of its success) and Hancock (Will Smith again).

I get it your 'good superhero films' starts in 2008. But let's not ignore how superhero films have broken down these barriers even before then.

17 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Although I agree Hollywood has not been the best representative of an accepting culture, implying it just realized this now and is finally treating minorities as leads and heroes instead of background actors to be tossed around and killed off ignores films over the past 20 years like Spawn (Michael Jai White), Blade (Wesley Snipes), Unbreakable (newer fellow - Samuel L. Jackson), X-Men 2000 (Halle Berry), Men In Black (Will Smith was a key part of its success) and Hancock (Will Smith again).

Let's not forget that masterpiece of modern cinema Michael Bay's  Transformers where even the one black Autobot can't make it out of a movie alive.

20 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Let's not forget that masterpiece of modern cinema Michael Bay's  Transformers where even the one black Autobot can't make it out of a movie alive.

Way to focus on a given scene/film and letting that speak for the entire 20 years of movies. :golfclap:

Meanwhile, one of the most emotional shots in a comic book-inspired film. And crazy - no minorities died during its filming. :whatthe:

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I would say it was much more offensive that Tyreese survived.  Also those two 'jive' autobots in the desert transformer movie were waaaaaayyyyyyy more offensive, whichever one that was. 

But I got love for Michael Bay, can't go wrong with Bad Boys. 

Also Bosco forgot to mention Catwoman (understandably tried to forget probably). 

But generally (and I get things aren't perfect), I don't really think its a trope anymore for black side characters (don't @ me about Cap Civil War with BP's dad dying and War Machine getting paralyzed to make Tony madder, I admit that felt questionable at the time) to die early or for no reason in movies, except possibly in horror movies.

At THIS point, and its another topic entirely, I think the would be lack of OTHER (non-black) minority representation as leads or good roles in movies, namely Hispanic/Latino representation in America, and South Asian representation in the UK.  But I think strides are being made (if sometimes slowly) across most mediums.

Just now, revat said:

I would say it was much more offensive that Tyreese survived.  Also those two 'jive' autobots in the desert transformer movie were waaaaaayyyyyyy more offensive, whichever one that was. 

Now those two Autobots I totally agree were stereotyping and ugly. But trying to imply a black-colored Autobot implied they are just filler to allow for explosions and screams is a stretch.

Just now, revat said:

Also Bosco forgot to mention Catwoman (understandably tried to forget probably).

doh!

I hang my head in shame.