• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
17 17

1,545 posts in this topic

I also have a large collection of manufacturer's pinball literature.  I have a restored 1975 Gottlieb El Dorado in my living room.  Yeah, I know, purple label, not blue label.

In college, I played six straight hours on El Dorado for 25 cents.  When I left, I had the maximum nine replays that I sold for fifty cents.  The owners of the arcade did not want us playing.  After video games came out, pinball pretty much died out, but now there are pinball conventions all over the world.

el_dorado-1975-f-1.thumb.jpg.0f6c58e3a9d9bdcf3fcb3c96043e5f58.jpg

4 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

I also have a large collection of manufacturer's pinball literature.  I have a restored 1975 Gottlieb El Dorado in my living room.  Yeah, I know, purple label, not blue label.

In college, I played six straight hours on El Dorado for 25 cents.  When I left, I had the maximum nine replays that I sold for fifty cents.  The owners of the arcade did not want us playing.  After video games came out, pinball pretty much died out, but now there are pinball conventions all over the world.

six hours!   That is impressive.

I also have a small collection of pinball OA

7mFptki.jpg

6 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

I collect ephemera such as sports cards (baseball, basketball, football), nonsports cards, movie posters, and old car brochures.  I purchased most of my paper before the prices went sky high.  For example, I bought a 1985 Fleer basketball set for $20, which includes Michael Jordan's rookie card.

I also collect old books by P. G. Wodehouse with dust jacket or dust wrapper as the Brits would say.  Jeeves Omnibus was first printed in 1931 and is extremely rare with dust jacket.  The dust jacket was oversized and usually discarded. :sick:

5980ab42b5f7f_JeevesOmnibus.thumb.JPG.864c7827f3c3540ae9a288b36bda3576.JPG

I have a nice collection of old baseball gloves.  My favorite is the Rawlings Harvey Haddix model HH used by Willie Mays to make the catch in the 1954 World Series.

5980ada390664_HarveyHaddix.thumb.JPG.6d3ff2b0940bb50079e7dd280ce89ff5.JPGimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

I love P.G. Wodehouse, although I own only modern reprints.

And ... that's the glove Mays wore when he caught Vic Wertz's long fly in the '54 Series?! :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:(worship)(worship)(worship)

24 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I love P.G. Wodehouse, although I own only modern reprints.

And ... that's the glove Mays wore when he caught Vic Wertz's long fly in the '54 Series?! :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:(worship)(worship)(worship)

I apologize, but mine is the model that he used.  Here is the actual glove used from my visit to the Baseball HOF.  Mays endorsed McGregor gloves, but also used Rawlings.

IMG_1558.thumb.JPG.74084a085728aaa3b09f66333dd1d19f.JPG

Edited by BitterOldMan
Corrected grammar error

4 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:
11 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

the library. 

IMG_0095.JPG

Straw-Man, You are too classy to hang out with the likes of me. (worship)

Straw-Man also collects compliments.

11 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

I apologize, but mine is the model that he used.  Here is the actual glove used from my visit to the Baseball HOF.  Mays endorsed McGregor gloves, but also used Rawlings.

IMG_1558.thumb.JPG.74084a085728aaa3b09f66333dd1d19f.JPG

Ah, got it.  Still very cool to own the same model from that year.