• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
17 17

1,545 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Before 3D TV we had to go ghetto style with Viewmaster to get that "deepie" effect.

Still has some cool things to check out so I continue to add more to my collection including some of my favourite "old time" shows.

That Lost in Space disc is a keeper. I can just see it now - Dr. Smith coaxing Will into exploring some cave against his and the Robot's better judgment, tinkering with some alien machine and getting into trouble, and then Zorro - errr, Guy Williams - having to save the day!

5 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

Bought my first GI Joe in 1964 and still have it.

Here is the Green Beret from 1966 in a repo box.  Rather spend my money on comics than the original box.

59811323ce07b_GIJoeGreenBeret.thumb.JPG.981da01602d741fe2d4903a6b89e937f.JPG

No fuzzy hair yet - nice.

I had several memorable sets, but I think the Training Center was my favorite. Early on, I had the Five Star Jeep, but unfortunately so did my brother, which led directly to far too many demolition derbys. The big yellow command center was cool too, as was the amphibious vehicle (mummy's tomb?).

7 hours ago, 1koko said:

Same here

+ Olympic participants medals  (oldest from 1936 Berlin)

+ movie posters (helps when your wife is a dealer) 

What posters do you favor?

As I replied earlier, I used to hunt cheesy 50's sci-fi and gga, but have no where near enough room to hang them, so I haven't gotten any for years. Hanging in my stairway are Daddy=O, Girls in the Night, and Juvenile Jungle.

7 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

And I have a thing for really big books.

20170716_092544.jpg

You have a lot of tonnage there. I'd hate to be your friend if moving day ever rolls around...

Of immediate note are several Archives and Omnibuses such as Legion and Doom Patrol as well as those Tomb of Dracula's. All good reads.

I really wanted to buy that monstrous Nemo book when I first saw it, but then I spied the 75 Years of Marvel Comics and had to choose. Someday...

6 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

I love King Kong vs Godzilla 1962.

Lobby card

image_zpsggzg3ukj.thumb.jpg.fe8271c357563520bfb53018666f77c0.jpg

If you see somebody at a comic con wearing a tshirt with this scene from the movie, it is probably me.

And who among us could blame you?? That first great battle looms large in our collective (geek) memory.

Back in the 70's, the whole gamut of Godzilla versus (insert monster) movies were must sees on late night TV for our whole neighborhood!

6 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

I also have a large collection of manufacturer's pinball literature.  I have a restored 1975 Gottlieb El Dorado in my living room.  Yeah, I know, purple label, not blue label.

In college, I played six straight hours on El Dorado for 25 cents.  When I left, I had the maximum nine replays that I sold for fifty cents.  The owners of the arcade did not want us playing.  After video games came out, pinball pretty much died out, but now there are pinball conventions all over the world.

I too have been bitten by the pinball bug. I have an El Dorado but it sure isn't restored. I have many projects to keep me busy someday. Right next to El Dorado is a Drop-a-Card: I've had new drop targets for it for over ten years and STILL haven't gotten to it.

If you've been to Pinball Expo in Chicagoland, we've probably seen each other... hm

6 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

Williams Medieval Madness! 

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

7mFptki.jpg

Well, if you're only going to have a few, that's a pretty iconic one to have!! Congrats.

I'm an EM guy myself, and if I could find an original by Roy Parker, I might even tap into my stockpile of flaky backglasses for trade bait. (:

6 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

being an inveterate movie buff, here are the group of books that all spawned best film winners. 

IMG_3882.JPG

That's a truly cool, targeted collection. I definitely lack the discipline to pursue something so diligently.

I'm guessing many of the film titles deviate slightly from their book inspirations? For instance, I see a "From Emperor to Citizen" which I'm guessing became "The Last Emperor."

5 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

I purchased an old RKO Walt Disney Donald Duck cartoon poster from Bob Beerbohm and traded for a Four Color 9 around 1975.  Never could find the Donald Duck poster again at a reasonable price. 

C'mon, though, Donald Finds Pirate Gold?? That was one of the big, big books back then. Everything Donald was hot then - Tells about kites, the March of Comics, the Firestone giveaways. Great stuff.

If I may, did you manage to hang on to the Four Color?

2 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

C'mon, though, Donald Finds Pirate Gold?? That was one of the big, big books back then. Everything Donald was hot then - Tells about kites, the March of Comics, the Firestone giveaways. Great stuff.

If I may, did you manage to hang on to the Four Color?

The cartoon was ...      I purchased the poster for $60, which was plenty for a poor undergraduate.  I have two copies of Four Color 9, but never found an affordable copy of the poster again.  The RKO cartoon posters rarely come up for sale or auction.

266691_1010_A.jpg.9db6f11314522c24d312aaaed7245c26.jpg

All this talk about collecting reminded me of this great one page gag from Uncle Scrooge 39.  For me, Barks will always be the greatest storyteller.

US_39_35.thumb.jpg.713fece2d9c222051349ad33fbe70b07.jpg

39 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Really colorful and fun display piece! And I didn't even know they slabbed vintage video games. Does whether or not they work factor into the grade they receive?

Thanks.  The stabbing is almost exclusively for factory sealed stuff.   The two I posted may look opened because they don't have any shrinkwrap; however, the very first copies in the US were sealed with small black 'nintendo' stickers like you see in the top middle.    So those two copies are still sealed even though they may not immediately look it to someone casually looking at that pic.   They switched to shrinkwrap almost immediately but the very first ones are sticker sealed like that.     The boxes also underwent a lot of changes so you can date the copy based on what the box looks like.   

Edited by Bronty

9 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

US_39_35.thumb.jpg.713fece2d9c222051349ad33fbe70b07.jpg

Barks was a genius, no doubt. Artists like him and Walt Kelly especially dumbfound me: somehow, someway, they intuitively knew how to draw anthropomorphic animals and make them look picture perfect.

I admire everyone from Alex Raymond to Dave Stevens, Will Eisner to Milton Caniff - but somehow the funny animals seem less intuitive... more of a reach. I'm not explaining it right, but I hope you know what I'm referring to.

5 hours ago, lbcolefan said:

My favorite childhood toys:cloud9:

I still have most of my cars except the earliest ones that were so beat up that I sold them to someone who restores them.

I also have all of my track and accessories.

image.jpg

image.jpg

These and slot cars just fly off my table at shows. I still find them but sell them right away.