• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,549 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Shrevvy said:

I collect 1970s/1980s race bikes. It was the golden age of steel bikes. This arrived yesterday. It is dirty and in need of some attention, but it will clean up nicely. For those that don't know, Greg Lemond was the first and only American to win the Tour de France. His first win was in 1986 and the next year he launched his own bike line. The bike pictured below was one of the first pre-production bikes used to promote the brand. The "DS" stamp on the bottom bracket notes that it was hand-built by Roland Della Santa. Just months prior, Della Santa would have built the bike that Greg Lemond rode in the Tour de France. I've been looking for one of these for a few years. Lucky to find one in my size.

1709721816_LemondPro01.thumb.jpg.821502aa2fbda7556affc66c6cdfa18c.jpg

1875174145_LemondPro03.thumb.jpg.4ed1b1a337f748e09aaf22794a32e8e0.jpg

A very beautiful piece of machinery. Carefully crafted by hand and treasured by it’s owner. Lemond is a legend by cyclists. A great score. I figured you were going to ride it as you should. 

I have a full Campy early ‘80’s Colnago. Bought it new and used to ride it daily. All hand brazed with full hand done cutouts. Rode many centuries on it. My favorite ride was the Tecate to Ensenada ride in Mexico. I now have some tendinitis and a cyaticia so my long riding days are over. I do enjoy riding up and down Pacific Coast Highway along the beach. I long ago ditched the sew up tires. Got tired of fixing flats every time I went for a ride. 

Enjoy your new ride! 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I have a full Campy early ‘80’s Colnago. Bought it new and used to ride it daily. All hand brazed with full hand done cutouts. Rode many centuries on it. My favorite ride was the Tecate to Ensenada ride in Mexico. I now have some tendinitis and a cyaticia so my long riding days are over. I do enjoy riding up and down Pacific Coast Highway along the beach. I long ago ditched the sew up tires. Got tired of fixing flats every time I went for a ride. 

Enjoy your new ride! 

Very nice! I do not have a Colnago, but would like to have one at some point. I have never ridden out west, but it is on my list of something to do. I figure I need to start traveling for cycling rides. Otherwise, the opportunity will eventually pass me by. You have some great riding in out there. 

Funny on the sew ups/tubulars. The Lemond has clinchers, but I plan to put tubulars on it. The Trek has Veloflex clinchers (hand made in Italy) that ride as nice as tubulars. The Huffy has tubulars. I go back and forth between the two.  

Take it from me. Ride while you still can. As you get older your parts wear out. :roflmao:

Yeah, nothing like a pair of smooth sew ups. But I like to not have to worry about where I ride and having to fix flats. 

Yeah lots of good places to ride here. I go a few blocks and catch the riverbed  bike path about 1/2 mile to the beach. Get up early and I can ride maybe 20-25 miles along the beach with very few people. I can truck my bike out to the desert and ride as long as I want. Too old for the mountain rides anymore. We can ride all year long out here.

I am also into antique and vintage motorcycles. I’ve gotta say, at my age, the lure of rolling the throttle and the side hand shift is pretty strong. :devil:

Either one involves a keen perception of traffic which we have a lot of. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 5/14/2021 at 9:28 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

Haha, yes it can be! But none of my rugs are as valuable as my AF15 or even Hulk 181. Also, unlike them, they will not increase in value over the years.

trust me, give me AF15's and Hulk 181's all day - couldn't care less about a rug!   Plus, I don't need the Dude's problems !

Big Lebowski review: why Jeff 'The Dude' Lebowksi is a loser | British GQ |  British GQ

On 11/1/2021 at 6:21 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Finding those sleeves in that condition can't have been easy!

By the way, which one's Pink?

Ha, I'm sure Roger Waters considers himself Pink, but Syd Barrett named the band and was principal songwriter, lead singer and lead guitarist. He has to be Pink, despite only being in the band for roughly two years because the band never would have existed without him.

I collected through the 1980's and until 1996 or 1997 before selling. I started collecting again about ten years ago, and the timing was quite fortuitous. Prices were down and rarities were popping up with surprising regularity. It should have taken much longer to find these than it did.

On 11/1/2021 at 4:27 PM, mtracy64 said:

Pre-WWII beer cans and records - primarily The Yardbirds, but the very early Pink Floyd also.

20210605_125203_sm.thumb.jpg.f735f563b620b835cd035bbd3576293d.jpg

I'm a long-time fan of Pink Floyd, but admittedly the Gilmore years. I appreciate the scarcity of your Barrett-era treasure trove, however.

Your beer cans make my mouth water, and not just with the promise of aged hops. Those are the exact sort I fell in love with pouring over Martells' Beer Can Bible those many moons ago in the 70's and thereafter. The bocks always caught my eye, and those two shown are among the best. The other cans that I always seemed to favor were, no surprise here, by Grace Bros. Somehow I was always drawn to them. I for one would love any further glimpses of your collection. 

By the way, what's the most recent price for a Clipper Pale? Have the top cans followed a similar trajectory as comics these past few years?  hm

On 11/1/2021 at 11:50 PM, PopKulture said:

I'm a long-time fan of Pink Floyd, but admittedly the Gilmore years. I appreciate the scarcity of your Barrett-era treasure trove, however.

Your beer cans make my mouth water, and not just with the promise of aged hops. Those are the exact sort I fell in love with pouring over Martells' Beer Can Bible those many moons ago in the 70's and thereafter. The bocks always caught my eye, and those two shown are among the best. The other cans that I always seemed to favor were, no surprise here, by Grace Bros. Somehow I was always drawn to them. I for one would love any further glimpses of your collection. 

By the way, what's the most recent price for a Clipper Pale? Have the top cans followed a similar trajectory as comics these past few years?  hm

I'm a big fan of the later Pink Floyd as well, but there's so much to collect that I decided to stick to just the Barrett stuff. That music, and the Yardbirds stuff, has a timeless, almost magical quality to it and I can listen endlessly.

Collecting current and recently obsolete beer cans was very popular with kids for a few years in the mid-1970's, so I wondered if anybody here had collected or knew about the older cans. I put that hobby aside when I discovered girls and cars, but got interested again around 1990. The internet, primarily eBay, drove prices way up in the late 1990's. Once things settled down, we had a healthy, mature market with slow increases over time. That went out the window last summer. Most better cans sell at auction now, and selling prices often don't make sense - very high is one thing, but prices often don't make sense relative to other cans sold at the same time. Many sell 25% t0 50% higher than we're used to, but an alarming number sell at multiples of what we're used to and there's no rhyme or reason to it.

I always felt the way you did about the bocks. The finest collection ever assembled sold in early 2019, and the buyer is a friend (and dealer). I found out a few days ahead of most people, and went outside my normal price range for those two. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I knew I'd hate myself if I didn't.

I don't think a really clean Clipper Pale was known until a lady found one in an old house about 20 years ago. She put it on eBay and got a little over $19,000 for it, which is still the highest eBay result for a beer can. She went back and found 11 more (that's her story, anyhow . . .). To her credit, she gave the initial buyer another one and sold the rest to a dealer. They sold at around $7,500 each. I haven't seen one sell since then.

I moved a while back and haven't put shelves up, but I'll post more photos when I do.

On 11/1/2021 at 7:57 PM, Christopher Story said:

I love old guitars.  Here are a few of my favorites.  Two rare late 60’s Rickenbacker 360Fs and a ‘59 Fender Esquire.  Love vintage tube amps too.

BDE5C165-4D4E-48BD-BC6E-8285B2FE01EC.jpeg

Yes, quite rare indeed!

Tube amps? Me too, especially if they are vintage...

fenderamp1.jpg

fenderamp2.jpg

Here are a few things from this weekend’s toy show, including a set of three premium comic books, a Pied Piper shoes cut-out book, a nice Victorian game board, a Bugs Bunny alarm clock, a Roy Rogers plastic cup, a Little Orphan Annie Ovaltine mug and a fold-out Roy Rogers paper premium.

C65C4B4F-502F-4C6A-9043-429454DA4224.jpeg